It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google close to agreeing deal on 'two-tier' internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Is this the beginning of the Internet as we know it. Will we be forced into an internet with content controlled by the Corporations? d

The internet giants Google and Verizon are reportedly close to a deal that could bring an end to "net neutrality", allowing the telecoms company to prioritise the order and speed in which it delivers content to users.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That's kinda scary. I like my internet all neutral and happy and free file sharing. Why do big corporations have to ruin a good thing if it ain't broke don't fix it.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
That's kinda scary. I like my internet all neutral and happy and free file sharing. Why do big corporations have to ruin a good thing if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Because they realise their not making as much money as they could from the internet. They probably also dont like sites like this that try to shine a light on their more nefarious actions

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

For years, Internet advocates have warned of the doomsday scenario that will play out on Monday: Google and Verizon will announce a deal that the New York Times reports "could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content's creators are willing to pay for the privilege." The deal marks the beginning of the end of the Internet as you know it. Since its beginnings, the Net was a level playing field that allowed all content to move at the same speed, whether it's ABC News or your uncle's video blog. That's all about to change, and the result couldn't be more bleak for the future of the Internet, for television, radio and independent voices.

The end is well on it's way. Everyone was so busy fighting legislation they forgot companies can just do it at their own behest.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Is this the beginning of the Internet as we know it.

No, this is the end of the internet as we know it. They are going to do whatever drives the most profits, irregardless of whether it is beneficial to society or not.

The internet has proven to be not only a threat to the status quo, but also a tremendous tool for the free-flow of information. If you can benefit corporate interests while clamping down on the free-flow of information, then why wouldn't they jump on the chance?

I don't have any doubts that Google's motive is financial benefit but I also don't have any doubts that TPTB will offer every incentive to close down the internet as we know it.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
All I can really contribute to this thread is a bunch of curse words.

Second line.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This will only drive more and more people to use so called 'illigal' downloaded content as opposed to streaming content.

There is not a single system in the world where there is no work around.

Yep this maybe the end of the internet as they knew it for the casual uninformed and nontechnical user.

But for the tech savvy this is a god send, it means they have finally realised that they can't get money out of those that really know how to use the technology.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have a thread about this and you will be surprised that there are people who believe that this will be okay, because competition in the free market system will sort things out. And they also don't want any regulation at all, because any bill will create problems rather than solution.

Hey, whatever works for you people.

add:
I believe the internet is going to suffer a very severe congestion. Maybe some of you have experienced this already. I mean.. you decide what you think is best, regulation or not.

[edit on Thu, 5 Aug 10 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

But the beauty of the internet is being able to stumble on things like ATS without being tech savvy. I dont know many tech savvy people.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here is what the Internet of the future will look like.

Too bad Glenn Beck and the rest of Fox news doesn't understand net neutrality and are fighting it, saying that corporations know what is best...

[edit on 5-8-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

But the beauty of the internet is being able to stumble on things like ATS without being tech savvy. I dont know many tech savvy people.

Then maybe it's the roll call to become more tech savvy?? Though I hear your points and agree with you.

An example in case is the evolution of MS windows. The OS is being dumbed down gradually in the name of automation and easy of use. But in reality it is becoming brittle and uncompromising, that is unless you really know what you are doing.

If you look at the average person’s use of the internet it centres around only a handful of sites. Surfing these days doesn't mean what it used to and that's a crying shame.

Even Tim Berners-Lee himself was bought off by the UK government to keep quiet.

It is the very nature of technology to evolve, you either evolve with it or you find a way to make it do what you want.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
Here is what the Internet of the future will look like.

Too bad Glenn Beck and the rest of Fox news doesn't understand net neutrality and are fighting it, saying that corporations know what is best...

[edit on 5-8-2010 by DJM8507]

That is actually one of the scariest things I have seen today. I don't want to have to pay extra to go on various websites...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

As the current world cumbles, the corporations will "save" the planet.

Division will continue and the classes will become "have" and "have not".

Our new savior "technology" will bring humanity to a new age.

Blah, Blah, Blah....

Does anyone watch anime? Read history? Enjoy sci-fi? This story has been told 1,000 times.

What will it take before humans act humane?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Our new savior "technology" will bring humanity to a new age.

Technology will enslave the majority and free a few.

Ironically it will be your choice as to which it will be for you.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Google has dismissed reports that the company is in talks with US telecoms operator Verizon that could bring an end to net neutrality.

In an article published yesterday, the New York Times said the two companies "are nearing an agreement that could allow Verizon to speed some online content to internet users more quickly if the content's creators are willing to pay for the privilege".

Today the search giant has said it remains as committed as ever to an internet where content exists on a level playing field

www.guardian.co.uk...

Two stories from the same newspaper. Which is it?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I can't agree 100% to this.

"freedom" in the modern world is based on economics. There is only a slight rise in the economic class for those that make money off technology.

you are not free because you have money. you are making a choice to seperate yourself further from the suffering that the rest of humanity is living through.

there is no them. there is only us and we should all be equal with basic provisions.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
www.huffingtonpost.com...

For years, Internet advocates have warned of the doomsday scenario that will play out on Monday: Google and Verizon will announce a deal that the New York Times reports "could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content's creators are willing to pay for the privilege." The deal marks the beginning of the end of the Internet as you know it. Since its beginnings, the Net was a level playing field that allowed all content to move at the same speed, whether it's ABC News or your uncle's video blog. That's all about to change, and the result couldn't be more bleak for the future of the Internet, for television, radio and independent voices.

The end is well on it's way. Everyone was so busy fighting legislation they forgot companies can just do it at their own behest.

i never thought id say this, but Antonia's right.

although i wouldn't say its as hopeless as everybody is making it out to be. its not over-over but its definitely a huge blow...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you have Verizon you could turn it off
determine the speed of their profits.
We turn our Verizon off its not that hard.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
no sorry anime is super fruity. how can a grown adult actually like this crap? probably the weirdos who beat it to animated p**n

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

Most, but not all, of it sucks. Ghost in the Shell is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join