It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churchill ordered UFO cover-up, National Archives show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Churchill ordered UFO cover-up, National Archives show

www.bbc.co.uk

The government took the threat of UFOs so seriously in the 1950s that UK intelligence chiefs met to discuss the issue

"The interesting thing is that most of the UFO files from that period have been destroyed.

Churchill and Eisenhower got together to cover up this phenomenal UFO sighting, that was witnessed by an RAF crew on their way back from a bombing raid.

Other cases
A near-miss with an "unidentified object"
The 14-minutes of "missing" film relating to the Blue Streak missile te
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Man if it wasn't for the influence of religion imagine how much would not have been kept from us?
Just imagine how much information is out there but we cannot know it because too many people would become atheists. I think UFOs are just the tip of the iceberg.

I once saw a UFO that kind of looked like this:
www.geekosystem.com...

The 3 suns in China
Only difference is that they were dancing in the sky, not dancing but you know... moving around without pattern.

Do you think more info will come out now?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think a lot of the UFO paranoia from the late 40's and onward was fear over Soviet missile testing. Both sides were working hard on globe-spanning ICBMs.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Oh darn, just seen this on the BBC and was coming to create a thread, lol. Too slow again.

After reading that, it says to me, that no-one was ever really sure what was being seen, but the fear of a mass panic was so great, Churchill and Eisenhower ordered the coverup. Obviously some information got out on both sides of the pond, leading to all the specultion, and conspiracy tales of today.

Everyday I am more and more inclined to believe that our governments aren't covering up the existence of extra terrestrial life, but more the possibility of it.

It actually makes perfect sense, as it probably would cause mayhem amongst all the worlds organised religeons. It's OK people coming on here who want to believe saying "It's ok we can handle it, we want it", but the truth is, there are billions of devout "insert religeon here" people, who just probably couldn't.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
S&F - just saw this on BBC site...

.. UFO's are just that, unidentified, so there may well have been objects spotted in the sky it's just they weren't extraterrestrial. Keeping schtum probably saved people from their own imagination

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Just imagine how much information is out there but we cannot know it because too many people would become atheists.

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but I have never quite understood that argument. Discovering life, even intelligent life out there in the wast unknown, wouldn't that just make God, the great creator, even more awe inspiring?

I am not so sure people would simply abandon their belief in a creator or higher power (no matter what they call that power) if alien, intelligent life was some day proven to excist. I think their image of God would certainly change, and some people would feel disappointed (even insulted) by the fact that the human race perhaps wasn't God's masterpiece after all, that we are perhaps not God's finest creation...

Personally I would find it a great relief to know that the human race was NOT the best the great creator could do. Just look at how we treat each other, and this wonderful, beautiful planet we call home. Just look at the wars we have started, the wars still going on, the senseless killings, the greed and hate and intolerance behind them. Look at how we are constantly polluting and messing up ecological systems, destroying habitats for precious wild life. The list goes on and on.

And if aliens some day land here or makes contact, if some human space craft one day discovers and makes contact with other intelligent creatures out there, the question would still remain:

Who created the aliens?

End of off topic.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
Sorry for being a bit off topic, but I have never quite understood that argument. Discovering life, even intelligent life out there in the wast unknown, wouldn't that just make God, the great creator, even more awe inspiring?

no prob
Well I was quoting what Churchill said when I typed that
However what you are referring to is just believing in god, but what Churchill meant was within organized religion.

Aliens in our world is apparently not "organized"

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is the part that had me thinking about how they sealed the files to the 'other' Nobel Peace Prize entrees for 50 years. What if some of the entries were of this nature? I mean why keep the information from the public eye unless the private industry has deep secrets to withhold?

The files also include an account of a wartime meeting attended by Winston Churchill in which, it is claimed, the prime minister was so concerned about a reported encounter between a UFO and RAF bombers, that he ordered it be kept secret for at least 50 years to prevent "mass panic".

I would really love to read the archives myself, I was not comfortable with the little snippet of the report stating that the accounts 'claming' Churchhill made the orders. Did he or not? The wording is not like a clear cut quote from the papers that he did.

The papers also include a wartime account claiming prime minister Winston Churchill ordered a UFO sighting be kept secret to prevent "mass panic".

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
theres no evidence chruchill ordered a coverup. Theres no documents , letters, or minutes from the meetings he supposedly had with the US president.

The story is based on a letter written to the MOD in 1999 where someones grandson makes this claim. He says his grandad told him this story.

Sloppy headline from the bcc, they should know better. And you lot should learn to critically think about stories you are presented.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This wouldn't cause any problem with the religions. I remember the Catholic church saying if there is aliens, they want to be the first to convert them to Catholicism. I'm sure it would be the same for any religion.

TheKnuckler

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by theknuckler

The same with the Native Americans and Africans.
Second line

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I suggest you go read the latest files.

The files also include an account of a wartime meeting attended by Winston Churchill in which, it is claimed, the prime minister was so concerned about a reported encounter between a UFO and RAF bombers, that he ordered it be kept secret for at least 50 years to prevent "mass panic".

Those documents the BBC are referring to are part of the ones JUST released.

The BBC News lot pride themselves at being at the front of the MSM, they rarely make "sloppy" work of it, they are not a tabloid news company like the Sun, who don't care about how they or what they report as long as is brings in the readers.

EDIT: I'm reading them now to find the right story, the files are so bloody big though, and BT have capped me during these hours to 1mb/s for downloading over 100gb in less than a fortnight, lmao.

[edit on 5/8/10 by woogleuk]

[edit on 5/8/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Well I was quoting what Churchill said when I typed that

Are you sure you were quoting Churchill?

Or were you quoting someone that said that Churchill said that?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

i suggest you read the article pay close attention to what nick pope says. I'm not disputing the letter was just released. The letter is not from the 1940s.

unless you think one of churchills bodygaurds grandsons travelled back in time and wrote a letter to the MOD?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Who is to say that any Alien visitors do not have the answers to God that the Human race is seeking?

After all what organised Religions call their God and how it is explained (God created the heaven and the Earth) would that not make (in the eyes of those faiths) the God who created the Aliens also?

We are supposed to seek knowledge from those who have it, so a race of beings who are many thousands of years into their existence than we are would hold much knowledge that could effect the direction of Mankind, being the curious race we are, we need to seek that knowledge, even if it is just to gather any truth they may have to how creation came about.

That knowledge if ever gathered could well put an end to those Religions, I don't see that as a justifiable reason to cover anything up, why would any faith choose to live within a lie if presented with undeniable truth which proves the opposite?

There are those who want to believe, and those who don't, then there are those who already do believe, not because of youtube or some other obscure video or picture, but because of personal experience, right there at that moment on the spot experiences, which nobody can ever take away or prove did not happen.

There is not a single Logic on this World which could prepare us to receive information or proof that what we have thought to be correct for thousands of years is nothing more than Man made lies to keep people in control.

All the Wars that have been fought over Religion, the billions of people who have died as a direct result of those Religious beliefs, which is still happening to this second, what if it was proven with undeniable proof that it was all in the name of NOTHING?

So is it really a fear that Religions may be called into question even God themselves?

No matter really because the truth will come to the surface, and as this OP has shown, there is more and more information filtering out all the time, which will lead to an undeniable reasoning for many many millions of people.

Its how each person chooses to deal with that information, which will determine the path Mankind will take, there will be no getting away from that.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There is an interesting story on the first one (DEFE 24/1973/1), starts page 40 of the PDF, it's a letter about someone who knew Dwight Eisenhower and went to some farm with him (Bush Farm) in 1954. Can't quote from it as it is scanned documents, but it's an interesting (if not a little far fetched) story.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Sorry worded that wrong, I wasn't saying you are wrong, I actually suggested reading the files as they are usually interesting reading, i have just started reading this new batch.

I was pointing out the BBC are usually quite good in their news coverage and storys.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I was just reading about this sighting. Here is a brief description of the incident. Apparently photos were taken. I would love to see those pics.

A reconnaissance plane and its crew were returning from a mission over occupied Europe when they were involved in the war incident.
During their flight, on the English coast, possibly near Cumbria, their aircraft was approached by a metallic UFO which shadowed them.
Photographs of the object, which the crew claimed had “hovered noiselessly” near the plane, were taken by the crew.
Later, during discussions about the unexplained incident, the two men were claimed to have become so concerned by the incident that Churchill ordered it remain secret for 50 years or more.
During the meeting, a weapons expert dismissed suggestions the object was a missile as the event was "totally beyond any imagined capabilities of the time".

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 8/5/2010 by Erasurehead]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That is a pretty narrow-minded view, Blackmarketeer. Based on incident reports, UFOs have characteristics beyond what an ICBM can do. Like:

- Traveling an excess of 20,000 mph
- turning 90-degree instantly
- stopping on a dime from very high speeds
- sudden reverse directions
- ghosting/tailing other aircraft
- hovering at low altitudes
- and many more

Plus, if UFO sightings were ICBM, then how do you explain sightings that date before 1940s?

It is not far-fetched that Churchill and/or Eisenhower collaborated together to cover-up UFO incidents. Cover-ups started due to public reaction of the nationally radio broadcast show of War of the Worlds back in 1934. People tuned in in the middle of the showing thinking it was the real deal that aliens were actually invading earth. Caused a nation-wide panic.

Just remember, every thing we think we know is just a tip of the iceberg. There's so much more we don't know about. It can be maddening.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I think that's an interesting document, so here it is.

Click for full size

new topics

top topics

join