It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am under attack: here's how to lift your PayPal account restriction‏

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS POST

I received an email claiming to be from PayPal saying

You may have noticed that some limitations have been placed on your PayPal account. As a valued PayPal customer, we want to let you know what this means and how to resolve the situation.

Funny thing is....I don't and never have had a PayPal account...and in the email is my mother's name

Anyone else had this....I wonder how they have connected my email address with my mothers name

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
its probably some spam or scam
be very aware
those scammers are the biggest scum

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

Yeah, but if it was just random spam they wouldn't have my mothers name on the email

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
it's directed spam, and thet got your ma's name by snooping your info on google which correlates it all. not knowing which is passwords or critical

anyone can go snoop this on google

[edit on 5-8-2010 by GBP/JPY]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
PayPal is notorious for fraud and scamming.

I had to suffer through months of "legal action" and "fraud investigation" garbage because of some major mess up with Skype and PayPal and Hotmail.

In the past Ive used PayPal for eBay but I've never used Skype and I never used Hotmail.

I woke up one morning to find my email inbox full of "charges failed to clear" Skype messages and one "charges successful" message. I looked all over and couldnt figure out where these "charges" were going.

Turns out some guy with Hotmail account was being billed for some Skype account that was somehow connected to my email address.

You can never connect a credit card or bank account to anything and never sign up for anything and you can still wake up "under investigation" one day through absolutely no fault of your own.

As far as I know I'm still "under investigation" since I've never heard from anyone of any resolution one way or the other and it's been like two years.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Could also be a phishing attempt. If the email contained a link back to Paypal, don't click it - it might actually go to a scam page where they harvest your login and password.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Ignore it and delete it!
It's 100% Scam.

About your mothers name, if you mother has really that e-mail account it could be from her using a compromised website(spam website).

If she has a computer than her computer could be compromised and the "Spam scum", would use her address book, to scam others on the behalf of trusting her e-mail account.

If she doesn't have email account or computer, than it's about your computer or/and data you provided into a website of spam (like those sites with a box to introduce your email and subscribe a service, for you to receive news or other stuff).

Again delete and ignore it!

Check you mother's computer with an On-line AntiVirus.
On-Line scanner from f-secure, needs no installation on your computer and it's free.
www.f-secure.com...

About scams, have a read from:
www.snopes.com...

If you see an email with something that doesn't make sense, delete it, it's probably spam.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This is so funny. I got an email claiming I was close to my spending limit (I have spent a ton on ebay over the years) and instead of going through the email, I went directly to Paypal's website. Logged in, and it was true! True and legit.
I felt ashamed. LOL.
Yours, however, sounds like a scam. I just wanted to write in and let people know that if you DO get this email, and you DO have a PP account, go directly there. Don't use the link in the email, of course. If it's true, it will let you know at the beginning of your PP my account page.
I don't really want to link my bank account or get approved for a Paypal credit card...so I guess I will stop purchasing. Oh well.
Be safe, friends.
-FCL

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by crustas

The email came to my email on my computer...My mother has her own email and computer....she has a paypal account and has contacted them about this...and it's defo not from them....we are currently using norton internet security and doing full system scans...may try F Secure once I speak to my brother the family computer wizz....

Thanks for all the reply's you lot

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Your are welcome.

2nd Line

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I had the same email "and I do have a pay pal account" I didnt give the email a second look. I deleted it as spam.

on a lighter note Craigslist is a spam central anymore.
I get all kinds of account bs. I sometimes click the link it takes me to a fake login page "look at the address bar you'll see its not legit" and Ill fill it out and put things like, "better luck next time" as a password or just anything silly.

and what can they really do with my craigslist pass?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Funny you post this, OP. My wife has an Ebay account, and lost her password. to verify her account, Ebay asked for her credit card number. The page stated there would be no charge to the card, yet Paypal deducted two $1.00 charges from her bank account. My banker sent in a request to Paypal for information, and the charges disappeared. I don't trust them.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
maybe you should stop spending money on the worst security package ever,its 2010 bro,dont you know 99% of the internet laughts at norton? no one listen to me like the world is ignorant. get windows 7 finnaly with (free) threadfire and firefox+adblock,and dont use "dont have money" as excuse,torrent it if you want.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Definitely a fishing scam for your account info.

A quick way to verify this is to simply look at the address of the supposedly legitimate page originating from paypal.

Which will read some obscure address and not that of paypal.com for example.

People forget that all of this that we are reading on the web is created in simple HTML, you can copy a legitimate page's HTML and place it on your own server looking exactly like the real thing.

The home address though is the key.

Oh and PayPal and Ebay are one in the same. Which is why you don't see any other means of paying displayed on Ebay items any longer.

You aren't "permitted" to list any other form of payment because Ebay makes money on the transactions via Paypal.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

I don't mind Norton at all...the biggest gripe with it over the years is it stealing all my processing power, but that has been fixed...I use other anti virus software as well

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
phishing attempt never click the link on the email unless its to enter fake information. if you do enter fake information it will take it and clear it as real then transfer you to the real pay-pal site.
this is a way to test a site for phishing as most phishing site will take the information as real.

If you get one you always go straight to pay pal through there site not through a link on a email.

I get about two of those a week and i don't have a pay pal account.

But i always go to the link and fill out with fake information..
I like the idea of feeding them a lot of fake date so that they have to sort through the fakes to find the real.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I got that message as well and I went to my pay pal account and checked and yes their was a limitation on my account and I had to confirm my password and also let them phone me to confirm my phone number which wasn't accepted maybe because I am ex directory. I then had to wait for two weeks for paypal to send out a verification number in the post before I could use my account again.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by keldas]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by keldas

I then had to wait for two weeks for paypal to send out a verification number in the post before I could use my account again.

Yeah...but I don't have an account...and my mother has contacted PayPal and they have confirmed they haven't sent an email to any of our email addresses

new topics

top topics

join