It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of ufo & alien b/s

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Why are these threads even allowed to exist? They appear every week now. A thread that says "I don't believe in aliens, I've not seen 100% proof," brings nothing to this board at all. And we see it weekly now, almost identical posts saying the same thing.

Ok.. so you don't believe in UFOs. And we should care why?

Edit to add: I can't fathom what "bs" you are talking about. You are tired of what? If you don't ACTIVELY look for UFO info, you would rarely see it. It's quite rarely on MSM, programs are difficult to find on TV, it's exceptionally easy to completely avoid the subject. There are people at my work that hear about UFOs once every couple of years, that's it.

If you are so tired of the subject, why do you actively seek it out?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by fleabit]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

"No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about UFOs than you know today..."

So, maybe Klass was right about his UFO curse even if he screwed up some of his UFO explanations?

He probably was.. However,

Copernicus' epochal book, De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres), published just before his death in 1543, is often regarded as the starting point of modern astronomy and the defining epiphany that began the scientific revolution. His heliocentric model, with the Sun at the center of the universe, demonstrated that the observed motions of celestial objects can be explained without putting Earth at rest in the center of the universe. His work stimulated further scientific investigations,
Copernicus

I bet Copernicus had doubts in his mind about his own theories considering he was surrounded by ridicule and didn't have the precision instruments and scientific framework we have today to "100% prove it."

Thankfully it didn't sway him to abandon his work and beliefs. He would never live to look through a modern telescope. He would never live to realize the profound impact he had on future scientists, thought processes, human understanding, etc.

Klass was right in a sense- everyone alive today may never know "the truth" about UFOs, aliens, etc. Time is always the great equalizer though. According to modern science, time is responsible for the difference between you and a Macaque.

Just because you may not be around to get the final verdict, doesn't mean it's not worth getting the ball rollin'.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hey guys, I just wrote a post in another thread regarding a video and the usual "WTF is this" rhetoric that somewhat pertains to the topic at hand so I thought I would share it since I did spend a bit of time writing my retort (Mods, if I'm breaking any policy by copying and pasting my text from another thread, feel free to delete this post, no harm meant!). Anywho, enjoy!

Response from previous thread:

I just started posting here a bit ago, so excuse me for butting in, but I have to at some point, otherwise I'll never get accepted by the "cool kids" here at ATS
I'll just go ahead and say that I am a believer in the possibility in alien life, but I'm also a believer in rational thought.

Nowadays, people IMO immediately correlate "UFO" as having some direct connection to alien life and attack those that don't agree with what they believe a particular object is (non-believers and believers alike are just as guilty though ... no party is less or more right than the other). Aliens from another planet/higher dimension/under the ocean? In all likelihood (I'd guesstimate around 9/10 of the time), that's probably not the case, but who am I to know. I'm not saying that these UFOs aren't alien, but neither you nor I know for a fact (unless it's a blantantly obvious bird/plane/balloon/whatever) that a video of a respective object is in fact alien in nature unless said aliens took you onboard, high-fived you, and probed you to the point of you questioning your own sexual prefence. I speak sarcastically of course (and in a light-hearted manner), but we really have no way of knowing what is piloting said UFO.

UFO is an acronym for "Unidentified Flying Object" ... UFOs are very real ... heck, I've seen UFOs tons of times, but did I think they we're alien? Nope ... I thought they we're unidentified and I didn't know what they were so how can I (or anybody for that matter) properly classify an object and label it as "alien" without really even knowing what it is, who is piloting it, IF anyone is even piloting it, it's origins, etc etc? Basically, you just can't. You can guess, you can postulate, but you can't make an accurate assessment without having firm information/data/puzzle peices/cupcakes (mmmm cupcakes) ... also having a predisposed bias can cloud judgement and skew the overall picture and make the aforementioned assessment non-reliable.

Is the object alien in nature? Is the object man-made? Is the object a bird? A plane? Could it possible Superman (okay, seriously, NO)? That being said, what do you do? Like I said, none of us can tell for sure ... be you a believer, be you a skeptic, be you a potato, the only thing any of us can honestly do is label it as a UFO because the thing in question (and the majority of any other related-things) is UNIDENTIFIED (say what?) and in fact FLYING (omg ... no way) and ... well ... (drum roll) it's an OBJECT (ta-daaaaa). Sidenote: as far as "AFO" ... I don't think that'll catch on unfortunately, but I do agree their should be further caveats in haphazardly classifying UFOs which in itself is kind of a contradiction. How can you classify that of which is unknown ... oh well

I'm not attacking anyone's beliefs. I'm really just encouraging everyone to be a bit more neutral in their classifications regardless of their beliefs. None of us know what some things are up there, so call the kettle "black" ... or in this case, call it a "UFO" in the literal sense when you don't know what it is!

Thanks for listening to me peeps. Can't wait till I hit 20 posts!

RANT OVER.

Chucks Dueces,
FFaFGuy

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
100 years ago, if you had told someone that we'd land on the moon in their lifetime (or their children's lifetime) they would have scoffed and laughed you out of the room.

But, there it is.

It's all about technology. Just because we haven't developed FTL travel yet, doesn't mean a civilization that has existed longer hasn't.... After all, we do have SOME ideas of how it COULD be done, we simply haven't devised a way to generate the kind of energy needed to do so (or how to safely harness such energy). Today's "laws" of physics could be deemed tomorrow as "quaint ideas" for all we know.

It's odd that you (OP) accept the idea that the Universe could abound with life, yet seem to reject the idea that older civilizations (and thus perhaps more advanced civilizations with tech we could only dream of) exist amongst them.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join