It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Doesn't Have a Religion

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pro-all
reply to post by gator1177

Well said gator. People continuously overlook the fact that the bible was written when the universe was comprised of only the earth and heaven
Now with the discovery of other million "earths" how does this change the face of religion? It'd make more sense if the biblical god is taken as a tribal god with his chosen earth people. This begs another question that the real force behind the universe and creation has never been known. All we can do is speculate. Can you throw more light on this catchy word, Salvation?

[edit on 6-8-2010 by pro-all]

Well, I used the word salvation to accent my point about organized religion. However, now that you mention it, salvation has been misinterpreted in my opinion. It's not about do this or that and you will be rewarded. It's about overcoming this material world and attaining a higher level of spiritual enlightenment. And that, my friend, is easier said than done!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Thanks for that answer - I really appreciate it.

I will stick to my belief in Jesus - because Jesus taught love, gentleness and forgiveness which is all we need in this life.

So I choose to believe in love, gentleness and forgiveness even if Jesus Christ never existed - that is what we need in this life.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Thanks for that answer - I really appreciate it.

I will stick to my belief in Jesus - because Jesus taught love, gentleness and forgiveness which is all we need in this life.

So I choose to believe in love, gentleness and forgiveness even if Jesus Christ never existed - that is what we need in this life.

You are welcome! Jesus is a great spiritual teacher to find your spiritual way! I agree that we need more love in this world. I hope your journey ends in fulfillment, as I'm sure it will!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by I Want To Believe

I know that people dont see my point. There is a reason why religion is a highly debated issue. People dont know what the hell they are believing in, because they dont understand what they read.

You are telling me that you believe Moses is talking to the right God. But on what grounds?

Lord God only reveals his name: Yahweh, but never what he looked like. Moses was only allowed to see Lord Gods back side. Is that what we qualify as a positive ID?

What makes you qualified to to tell me it was Thee God?

Why would Moses question Lord God about killing half of his own people? Would it have something to do with it being the wrong thing to do?

Don't you ask your self these question before you jump on to the faith wagon?

Would you blindly believe in a light that told you he was God, and that demanded you to do all these horrible things?

Didn't Adam and Eve do exactly the same thing, but in a different setting, with Lord Gods little creature?

Why couldn't Lord God appear personally before Eve in the garden of Eden? He couldn't, because that would of given him away. Eve would have notices that she wasn't talking to God. So Lord God had to send his little creature to fool her. Just like he is using his magic to fool every one else.

It was Lord Gods magic that convinced Moses that he was God. Nothing else.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gator1177

Originally posted by pro-all

Well said gator. People continuously overlook the fact that the bible was written when the universe was comprised of only the earth and heaven
Now with the discovery of other million "earths" how does this change the face of religion? It'd make more sense if the biblical god is taken as a tribal god with his chosen earth people. This begs another question that the real force behind the universe and creation has never been known. All we can do is speculate. Can you throw more light on this catchy word, Salvation?

[edit on 6-8-2010 by pro-all]

Well, I used the word salvation to accent my point about organized religion. However, now that you mention it, salvation has been misinterpreted in my opinion. It's not about do this or that and you will be rewarded. It's about overcoming this material world and attaining a higher level of spiritual enlightenment. And that, my friend, is easier said than done!

This is the point I was going to make, you cannot reject organized religion and be making waves with their product, salvation. Just like rejecting the bible but believing the universe was created in six days.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Mary Rose

If Christ is the Son Of God, doesn't that mean that God has the Christian religion?

No, Christ was a common name for "enlightened" Rabbis in the ancient days. However, if you believe in the ancient mysteries and the Jewish connection with them, then "Christ is the Son of God" really translates to "the initiated will know the cosmic mind". Or, in easier terms, forget the material universe, learn the spiritual universe and you will achieve immortality.

No. Nothing about "initiated" or "cosmic mind" or being rabbis. Christ is the prophesied messiah, THAT theme keeps coming through in the gospels. It was very clear even to people at the time.

Agnosticism is wrong. I do agree that the physical needs to be forsaken for the spiritual.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

And if you curious about our esoteric origins, may I suggest a great book by Manly P. Hall "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" its a bit outdated but a great first book to anyone on a spiritual journey!

I've read this and I HATE the constant reference to ordinary people as "profane"!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by prophecywatcher

It seems your belief in heaven/hell is based on FEAR.You say you believe in heaven/hell even though you are not sure if they are real or not? I know a lot of confused people like yourself - I used to be the same, but you can't hedge your bets. Look within yourself, find your OWN truth and make a choice. You can only travel along one path in life - you can't go north and south at the same time. It may take some time but it is worth it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

If Christ is the Son Of God, doesn't that mean that God has the Christian religion?

I don't believe that the historical person referred to as "Christ" is a "savior." I think this is a man-made fiction.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

People at the time believed it, why don't you?

Matthew 16:4-17
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.

Mark 1:23-28
Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out,
"What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"
"Be quiet!" said Jesus sternly. "Come out of him!"
The evil spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.
The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, "What is this? A new teaching--and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey him."
News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.

I'm not going to debate the validity of the bible here, but if you accept it as an eye witness account, this answers your question.

He was even asked directly before His trial:

Luke 22:67-70
"If you are the Christ," they said, "tell us." Jesus answered, "If I tell you, you will not believe me,
and if I asked you, you would not answer.
But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God."
They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am."

THE Christ was a specific personage, the same as the Son of God, and the same as the Messiah.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose

Originally posted by spy66
But i am quite certain that Lord God is not the God we all would like him to be. Lord God fits the profile of the fallen angel cast out from heaven.

God fits the profile of the fallen angel cast out from heaven? This is your opinion? (I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.)

If you have read the bible - especially the old testament - you would see where spy66 is coming from.The ''all loving. all knowing'' God of the O.T is a myth. In the Old Testament God commands and condones murder, gang rape, genocide and ethnic cleansing amongst many other things. He comes across as power mad, extremely jealous and insecure and is unable to follow the commandments 'he' supposedly gave to Moses. I am not anti Christian but I have read the bible cover to cover many times and I cannot see how any rational person can worship the God of the bible. But I can completely understand why sooo many so called Christians are angry and violent. They learn it in their 'Good' book!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SunIsSon

Sounds to me like you have a few mental problems going on yourself. Frustration,anger,hate,depression,and a definite lack of tolerance.
Get some help!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
People at the time believed it, why don't you?

There are some beautiful passages in the Bible that are inspirational for me. For example the passage in Corinthians about love will sometimes give me "goose bumps":

. . . Love is patient and kind, not jealous, not boastful,
not proud, rude or selfish, not easily angered,
and it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not gloat over other people's sins
but takes its delight in the truth. . . .

But this does not mean the whole book, which is a compilation that has been tampered with, and, is man-made, is true.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Mmmm yes, i revisited that same paassage this week, it's beautiful.

So you only like the nice bits, and don't believe it anyway?

Let's be specific, the 4 gospels, as eye witness testimonies from people who witnessed events in their life and times?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Let's be specific, the 4 gospels, as eye witness testimonies from people who witnessed events in their life and times?

I would have to witness these things myself to believe them. And even if I did, I would be looking for information from whatever sources I could find to help me interpret what I saw. Then, I would listen to my inner voice.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
God does not have a gender IMO.....God is not human. God is not an old man living in the sky with a beard. God is a presence. and people try to apply human qualities to something non human. Organized religion does not appeal to me BECAUSE it is based on MAN'S rules and thoughts, therefore, it is corruptable. Just look at all the religions and how different they are. We kill each other over these differences, yet God says killing is forbidden. This is a great topic! S&F!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by StealthyKat]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Sorry, if you don't believe things you've never seen, well that doesn't bode well.

Do you believe in WW2?
Or the inquisition?
Or the roman empire?
Or the planet Pluto?

The only difference is that FAITH is required ... but not as faith in history books, faith that what you see today resonates very much with what was said back then. And that God is still God.

Only us humans are fickle, but we haven't changed much over the last few millenia, if at all.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Here is an amazing thing - why don't we love each other and save the world!

And why don't we believe in the same things!

Guess what, we are too stupid to save the world, because we argue all the time.

No wonder aliens do not visit us!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Sorry, if you don't believe things you've never seen, well that doesn't bode well.

Do you believe in WW2?
Or the inquisition?
Or the roman empire?
Or the planet Pluto?

The only difference is that FAITH is required ... but not as faith in history books, faith that what you see today resonates very much with what was said back then. And that God is still God.

Only us humans are fickle, but we haven't changed much over the last few millenia, if at all.

I believe in God....BUT the Bible and every other religious book was written by man. Over time....RELIGIONS then tampered with parts of it to suit their needs (which is why Catholics have different interpretations of the Bible than Protestants. The Dead sea scrolls were purposely taken out and hidden because there were things in it that MAN didn't think should be in it. Like I said, I believe that God is real (in whatever form that is)....but RELIGION is of man, and therefore unreliable.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I wish we could get along better too!!

We're a mess, aren't we??

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join