It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Doth Speak Arrogantly Toward Ye.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
At first, when I read "Old English" I honestly thought that meant "conherent, comprehensible English".

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Comedy Gold Op!

It wouldn't surprise me if half the people who make up this crap are LARP'ers when they aren't on ATS.

Oh Look... Here's some of them now!

IRM

[edit on 5/8/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Oh dear lord!

I want so badly to ravage those people in the pictures you posted, but I probably shouldn't. At least not on ATS anyway.

Your point made clearly nonetheless.

I can see some morrowind/elders scrolls/ world of war craft kiddies getting their panties in a twist. I don't want to imagine what a "dark elf" may do to me if I were found guilty of RPG libel.

I honestly believe Old English is a cool way of speaking, when creative license is in play; not when one is speaking generally.

It worked well enough for the lord of the rings.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

That's ye olde English? I've got some catching up to do on my olde languages and what not. lol

Yes, the verily I sayeth unto ye stuff is crazy. lol...........I prefer the Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner stuff. Coyotus Absurdus. Rabbitus Rasculus. That would be really entertaining for me on the threadus spiritualatum . Eh, whatever.

It's all scata cranius stuff to me.
Uh, not the spiritual stuff, but the presentation by some folks.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Ill be the first to admit I have put my foot in my mouth on ATS on a few occasions.

But according to my last avatar, We are supposed to "think before we say something stupid".

If that is true and I believe it is, then I,m sure a person who feels attacked or religiously persecuted can rebut without resorting to "above ye ego speak".

If you have something to say, say it for crying out loud, just say it in a way that doesn't make you look more foolish than perhaps you have already made yourself look.

It doesn't make you sound like an Oxford professor when you speak in old English.
honestly the first thing that comes to my mind is, That the person thinks they are somehow enlightened to speak and some divining power is what is speaking through them.

I believe this can happen; however I don't believe the holy spirit will do it in old English. I'm just saying.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

This is a brilliant post, love the humour!!

Ok, so i'm christian, and use the King James version. I also enjoy reading old english poetry and books.

I agree that it can be taken to far, and also agree that some see it as a superiority thing. Kind of like lifting their nose at you. Snobs

For me, it's all about being clear. Understanding exactly what is meant, and "proper" english is needed, that's why english is such a useful language.

I shall try not to impose upon your goodwill much longer with such ramblings as is my want, but wish you good day sir, and trust that many flags lie ahead on your path to enlightenment.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by State of Mind

That's ye olde English? I've got some catching up to do on my olde languages and what not. lol

No, I said "Likewise, the "idiot-talk" is annoying too."

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Thanks for the comment.

I want to be clear to any who read this.

I'm not bashing any ones beliefs system only the way it's delivered to the masses.

As a Christian, I'm already tagged with the hypocrite moniker, a badge that I'll wear regardless. But I'm not going to feed into that by not listing Christians on my list of speech " do's and dont's"

I understand if you feel the Holy spirit moving with in you and you want to say something, I understand that in your head, as well as mine you harken back to the bible for inspiring words.

Unfortunately for us, addressing people in such a way as to sound wise, only has the effect of making you sound KOO KOO..

I have heard such speaking from numerous religions however.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Well you get a flag from me for pointing out the obvious in a funny way. Let's hope the guys that take themselves so seriously will read the thread and pack it in trying to sound like Gandalf.

Another one that bugs me are the members who write like a Hollywood version of the 'mystical native American wiseman.' ATS is the only place where people actually write 'it is said!' One of the 'higher vibrational/ascended' bunch might describe their shiny chakras...'It is said the 3rd chakra...' Outsisde of Hollywood and that plastic guy MorningStar, do any Native Americans or Maoris ever say, "It is said...?"

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I all most wet my self laughing at your post, I can't believe I forgot to mention that.
believe it or not that was one of the things I was thinking abut while initially writing the OP.

Awesome.

People who talk like this must honestly believe that wind is blowing in their hair and mystical music is playing for all to hear.

It reminds me of the movie 300, every time Leonidas stabs his spear into the ground there is the sound of thunder. I didn't catch it the first time I watched the movie but subsequent viewings proved laughable.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Heck,it is better than writing like some of the government documents written by lawyers,that a normal person can not even figure out what they mean.

I have been reading through some of the laws and heck I would not know if I was breaking one or not.

Plain English even if the words are misspelled is better than the Elizabethan crap.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Here here

Legal speak needs to die.
Personally I think that stuff is written for the sole purpose of confounding a person, driving them to seek council.

Legal speak in law means money for the lawyers and politicians.

It also has a plausible deniability factor that can be used anytime your put in check for something.. "Ohh no no that's not what it meant, you misinterpreted it."
Yeah right.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I wanted to note this is not so much Old English (about as comprehensible to a modern speaker as German), as it is early modern English spoken circa 1500-1600 AD.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 19872012

Thanks for clarifying, it stinks nevertheless.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well, I hate it when people use the word "whom" to try and sound smart but then use it wrong.

Hint: It is not interchangeable with "who."

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Well, I hate it when people use the word "whom" to try and sound smart but then use it wrong.

Hint: It is not interchangeable with "who."

To whom do you speak, sir/madam?

Just imagine if Roger Daltrey's band were called the "The Whom". Nay, bother not, dear fellow of the secrets of the one above the top.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Im Guilty!

Right or wrong who is often used in the objective when whom is more appropriate.
Maybe that's why.

I don't care so much about grammatical errors in the English language as much as the presentation of knowledge in an arrogant fashion.

Some people are smart even though they write like a cave man, or speak like a bitter new york street vendor.
I don't think it is always the case that they are trying to sound intelligent as it is that they are lacking education in one or more areas of practice.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by snowen20]

[edit on 5-8-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
"It is said...?"

Is it or isn't it? Said it is, I think.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
In addition to my last post...........I think we all rely way to much on the spell check device which is a poor example to follow.

Ask me how I know.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Anyone seen the film role models, theres one character on that film who speaks in old english for nearly most of the film, and if you know who im on about, i can imagine alot of ATS members to act or look like him... Crazy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join