It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Search Bar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
While i havent had this problem personally i see it happen in threads constantly. People making the same threads and while I'm sure a good amount of people don't search to see if what there posting has been posted before i also see allot of members stating that they've tried the search to no avail. i put this down to either members not using it to its full potential and being to precise as to what there looking for or the search it's self is a bit dink? what do you guys think?

Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

[edit on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:18:01 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Agreed, but the mods do a pretty good job(as well as other members) of addressing it once it happens, by redirecting the responses to original thread. I used to do a search but only looked at the bold title, and not the excerpt below it, for key words to what my thread would be about. Doh! Rookie move.

Room for improvement? Sure, but things get handled well here, imo.
Reminder: DO A SEARCH FIRST PEOPLE!

spec
Edit To Add: Maybe when one clicks on "new thread," at the top of the page in big, flashing, colorful text, there could be a "Do a search first" sign.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
what do you guys think?

I'll tell you what I think if you answer questions two:

1. Which side of the English/Scottish border are you on?
2. Did you do a search about threads suggesting folks use the search feature more before you posted this one?

Btw, if I'm not mistaken I think I heard something about a new 'search' feature integration with ATS 2012.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

i agree the mods and members alike to a good job at sorting this issue out. and i second your call for a flashing reminder to search before you post

[edit on 4-8-2010 by danielhanson420]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I'm from berwick upon tweed which is on the English side. and you caught me with my pants down as far as did i search to see if this has been posted before however i did check to see if it has been posted in the Board Business & Questions section were i believe it belongs. so much for practice what you preach eh

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

No worries my friend ... the BB&Q forum is often a setup for self reflection in this way as it sorts of is set up to trap folks into it. You have no idea how often "I hate haters" threads pop up.

One must also consider that if the search feature was too effective there would be considerable less threads. This is fundamentally fine imo as I can't imagine anything wrong with people revisiting topics that have been broached in the past ... I believe the caveat is that the existing thread has been dormant for over six months or so. I'm not sure about that last bit so a staff member would need to clarify the parameters.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I use it a lot..
only problem is the MSM do not use the same titles all the time, so peoples searches won't show that same thread already being posted..

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

that's another good point. i tried to get at that in my op but struggled on how to word it hence the "being to precise as to what there looking for" it's a problem i have talking let alone typing. all i can say is thank god for spell check or my posts would truly be gobbledygook.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here's a tip if someone really wants to do a search as opposed to just say they did a search ...

Instead of searching by source title, pick a name or place mentioned in the article/paper/source one is looking to do a thread on and type it into the search ... I can't tell you how many times I did a search by topic which seemingly yielded nothing only to do one by the name of a person included in the source I am checking, only to find the exact thread I was going to compose.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Good advice, many time posters change the name of the title which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the topic.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Ive been guilty of this however the mods soon put me right. as they did with me having the title of this thread completely in cap's. thanks mods were would we be with out you

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Btw, if I'm not mistaken I think I heard something about a new 'search' feature integration with ATS 2012.

Hi SD. I hope that was just a typo prompted by too many threads on the topic.
But if the new ATS isn't rolling out till 2012, I might go mental.

The announcement was already four months ago and I guess I am getting impatient and wondering if it is really going to happen--the new ATS that is.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Well ... I'm just calibrating the expectatiunz, for as we all know, expectatiunz are the building blocks of disappointment.

Alternatively you can believe Springer.

*I'm sooo banned*

I kid ... I'm sure they want to implement it more than anyone, but I'm also sure they want to get it right. It'll be here soon enough and will be great.

[edit on 4 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
They need a new search engine rather than the keyword deal they use now they need an advance search page where u can search individual forum topics(General Conspiracies, ufos, etc...) dates, times, poster name, and other details such as that to make searching easier and more indepth rather than *enter a keyword* *enter up to 3* *enter posters name if you know it* *press search bar*

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

LOL You are then doing ATS a service , good sir. Lowering expectations to save the sanity of the masses.

Notice how when Springer said "definitely before MAY" he didn't say what year....or which decade for the matter..

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow, today I noticed 8 threads on the same subject(Britain releases ufo evidence). Maybe the mods should send out a widespread u2u reminder to do a search b4 posting.

spec

top topics

join