It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Churchill and Eisenhower cover up UFO encounter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
From documents to be declassified and put up in the National Archives in Kew.

Such was the sensitivity of an alleged UFO sighting by an RAF bomber crew returning to England from a mission over Germany that Churchill ordered it to be covered up with the words: "This event should be immediately classified since it would create mass panic amongst the general population and destroy one's belief in the Church."

This at least was the allegation put to the Ministry of Defence by relatives of a senior British military aide who claimed to have witnessed the cigar-chomping Prime Minister discuss the incident with General Dwight Eisenhower as part of a meeting about a succession of "foo fighter" sightings by Allied air crews in the Second World War.

www.independent.co.uk...

Very interesting to say the least. It seems pretty clear that both Churchill and Eisenhower had no idea what these objects were. Linked to the Nazi UFO programme or something else?

What do you all make of this?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
links not working for me....maybe they pulled it.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lee63

Thanks.

Sorted.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
This at least was the allegation put to the Ministry of Defence by relatives of a senior British military aide who claimed to have witnessed the cigar-chomping Prime Minister discuss the incident with General Dwight Eisenhower as part of a meeting about a succession of "foo fighter" sightings by Allied air crews in the Second World War.

Relevant text above in bold. This is third-hand information.

Other relevant information from the article...

A trawl of documents revealed no existing record of the encounter.

Also, Mr. Churchill's later comments on the UFO subject would contradict the third-hand claims....

...after a spate of reports in Britain and the US, he wrote to the Air Ministry saying: "What does all this stuff about flying saucers amount to? What can it mean? What is the truth?"

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
A letter from an unidentified person saying that his grandfather told him a story about something.

My grandfather worked for the USCGS in Alaska in the 1930's. He showed me a piece of a mastodon tusk and told me that he had eaten mastodon meat. I believed him. I found out later it was a walrus tusk.

But maybe this is different.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If you listen to Dr David Clarke’s podcast, he talks about new Rendlesham files that couldn't be released in 01.

ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

I have no idea where they are at, but they are probably the most interesting out of this batch I would think.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A letter from an unidentified person saying that his grandfather told him a story about something.

My grandfather worked for the USCGS in Alaska in the 1930's. He showed me a piece of a mastodon tusk and told me that he had eaten mastodon meat. I believed him. I found out later it was a walrus tusk.

But maybe this is different.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Phage]

You believed him?! Geez, I always thought of you as much brighter than this..

Anyway.. this third party claim is just nonsense.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Clarke said while the documents being made public for the first time, people who believe in UFOs were unlikely to be convinced.

"Over 50 or 60 years, the MOD collected all these sightings, something in the order of 12,000-13,000 sightings logged, but not a single one of them, if you believe what they say, constituted any sort of threat to the defence of the country,"

Clarke said. "The truth is that people see things in the sky that they can't explain, but the vast majority have got simple explanations. That is the truth, but they won't accept that."

The files are available to download for free for a month from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos.

news.smh.com.au...

An MoD official replied on July 23 1999: 'The MoD does not have any expertise in respect of UFO matters or to the question of the existence of extraterrestrial lifeforms, about which it remains totally open-minded. 'However, to date the MoD is not aware of any evidence that might substantiate the existence of alien lifeforms and therefore supports the view that your bet should not be upheld.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... eds-newsxml#ixzz0vhh86qgC

EDIT :

To UFO experts there is little new information in the documents released online today, but they do offer an incredible insight into the level of interest there has been over the past 30 years into what has become one of the most debated and researched UFO-related incidents in the UK.

Many may feel that the Government is holding evidence back, but it seems that until more concrete proof can be produced, the official stance is that we have yet to receive a visit from another world.

www.eadt.co.uk...

[edit on 5-8-2010 by EasternShadow]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
someone in the other thread said
"is this the disclosure we've been waiting for?"

god i hope not..
this is lame.

how long are they going to release petty little papers for.
this does nothing for those who already know these things are real...
just more ____tease crap. lol

LAME.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
All these crappy papers are nothing but well... crap i dont care about them saying anything until i get visual proof in person i dont care

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The Sky news report I saw here in the UK said that Churchill had the 50 year rule impoosed on this wartime sighting.

So it ended 1995.

WHY WAS IT NOT RELEASED THEN ?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Was reading this on MSN news and they had a link to the files in the national archives:
National Archives UFO files

I couldn't see this link here already but appologies if it is

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Just heard on the BBC news that churchill covered up some ufo files
so for it to be on the news then there must be something to it
its rare you see anything to do with UFOs on the news.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Now we know how the government came up with the idea to say the super technology was aliens visiting us -- because that is what everyone in the military thought when they saw this tech the Germans had without realizing it was the Germans.

What is amazing though is that the Germans lost the war with this technology.

But my belief is they didn't really lose "their war" they just lost that battle. I think the inner Nazi core moved somewhere else and took that technolgy with them.

This would explain many of the early flying saucer sightings in the US. Then the US developed the tech soon after from information they gathered at the end of the war and from German scientists.

Are they revealing this info now to continue to try to push the alien disinformation though? It seems like it because they aren't releasing military information about the Nazi saucer tech they likely have - intelligence information obtained at the end of the war.

What about all those Nazi flying saucer pics that came out recently from that era? I wonder if the Russians released those? Maybe they obtained them at the end of the war and the US got the info on the actual tech?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by 8311-XHT]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

At least someone is interested!

As well as this purported incident that Churchill put a gagging order on there are other files released of interest.

The military thought that it was most likely a bolide – a meteor which enters the Earth's atmosphere and burns up. The Whitehall file adds that "a private investigation done on behalf of the British Astronomical Society concluded however that the meteor may in fact have disintegrated over Manchester, and that its appearance was preceded at 8.32pm by an earth tremor in the Berwyn mountains with which it had no connection".

But this official explanation failed to convince many subsequent correspondents to Whitehall's now disbanded "UFO unit". As one witness wrote: "That 'something' came down in the Berwyn mountains on that night I am certain … we were visited by an object that evening."

www.guardian.co.uk...

I have been to the Archives and looked at some of the releases by the MOD on UFOS before this latest batch. One interesting thing i noted was that in every one i read there was always an analysis of the witnesses state of mind and their position in the community, i.e. 'of sound mind, not drunk' and 'local policeman' or 'air traffic controller'.

Can all these people of sound mind just have seen meteors, planes, black ops, or forged their own account?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Would you consider the government (Churchill) keeping this secret a conspiracy?

I often hear people say that large government conspiracies can't happen because they couldn't be kept secret.. but wouldn't this qualify?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Have you noticed that even the introductory document debunks most of the highlights? This is far from disclosure and it takes us even further from.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

Its an interesting question actually, but if you think about the point in time we are talking about keeping it secret was possibly a good thing. London was getting bombed nearly every night and people were scared as it was. Then if they heard about mysterious flying objects that left all conventional aircraft far behind they would be terrified. Making already frightened people more scared is never a good thing in my view.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I've got a problem with this.

The decision was made in a meeting with Eisenhower towards the end of the war at an undisclosed place in America. This would be easy to trace using personal diaries kept by both.

source

I highly doubt Eisenhower was in America before the end of the war in 1945 but more importantly, it has to be before July 1945 as Churchill lost his election and was no longer Prime minister. He couldn't decide squat after that month for state anything.

Why Eisenhower would be involved over this purely British venture brings up even more questions, but I'll let others explore and answer those.

I consider this just another example of someone screaming for attention and now using historical figures and UFO's with no proof. The only proof is a series of letters requesting information for an alleged event to be released.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

That's real nice detective work! I agree with you. What would Dwight Eisenhower at the time have any authority in working with the British Prime Minister who first left office in July 1945. However Eisenhower became President in the 1950's and Winston Churchill was back in office from 1951 to 1955. The incident would have to take place when these leaders were in power at the same time and have power to make deals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join