It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is a Cannibal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just a thought - totally un-researched and speculative. We all know that in nature most static predators attract their prey by being the most attractive/distinctive point amongst the mass. We can take it for granted that Earth is such an attraction for life as we know it - the only proven place in the universe where life exists and the subject of many UFO visitations - according to contributors to this site. Well I'm starting to think that maybe our lovely planet Earth is such a predator beacon - attracting and sustaining life - humans being at the top of our perceived food chain. But what if the human life-cycle - birth, growth (breading) and ultimately death is akin to "cows in a meadow" - with our ultimate consumption by Earth through burial and incineration? Am I wrong?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dww25

I thought of this before.

All the mass extinctions was just her just devouring the crop and then turning it to fossil fuel that helps keep her internal fires going etc. Oil could be her life's blood eh?

I rationalized it this way....

The Earth and the Universe have been around for "Billions" of years why wouldn't some of the "Oldest" things out there be sentient? On her "Earths" time scale mans 2 or 3 million year history is almost done and it's time to pick the crop.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dww25

Am I allowed to be pedantic?
Strictly speaking, the earth can only be a cannibal if it consumes another member of its own species.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dww25
...the only proven place in the universe where life exists...

Really?

According to whom?

Life as we know it isn't life as it might exist elsewhere in the solar system/galaxy/universe.

Just think of the life that Bob Ballard found near the under-sea vents that didn't require the sun for light, or oxygen to "breathe"....

That's my tupence worth.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers

Originally posted by dww25
...the only proven place in the universe where life exists...

Really?
According to whom?

To be fair, I don't think the quoted comment is meant to mean;
"It has been proved this is the only place where life exists"

Surely the meaning is;
"This is the only place in the universe where it has been proved that life exists".

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

My point is that until Bob Ballard discovered Tube Worms, people assumed that all life on earth required the sun and oxygen to live. uk.ask.com...

It was proved wrong.

That's the point, is that we haven't definitely proven that this is the ONLY place where life exists....

Besides, some scientists are still "umming and ahhing" about life on Mars, or the moons around Saturn and Jupiter. So, again, we can't say that this is the only place where it has been proven life exists...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

I'm the son of two schoolteachers and the grandson of another one.
The pedantic streak imposed by this genetic inheritance would normally oblige me to continue the linguistic argument.
Instead, I'm going to shut up.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I'm trying to bite my tongue, too. It seems like reading comprehension goes down when someone looks for adversarial viewpoints to attack.
Almost a subliminally purposeful misreading in order to continue a nonexistent debate.
Like half of ATS posts.......

top topics

join