It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military reform may force Medvedev and Putin to resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Article

Army service may soon become an obligatory line on CVs for anyone who wants to work for Russia’s government.

The idea goes against the direction taken by Russian authorities in recent years. It was widely popularized that the country should develop professional military forces instead of opting for further obligatory conscriptions.

It is no secret that most of Russian high-ranking officials, including Defense Minister Sergey Ivanov, never served in the army. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, as a former intelligence agent, served in Germany; President Dmitry Medvedev did only 1.5 months – as a university student; Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who studied at the Diplomatic School, did not have to serve.

Abroad, the situation is almost the same. US President Barack Obama, a lawyer by profession, never did military service. Neither did the majority of the members of the new UK cabinet, including Prime Minister David Cameron.

Obligatory conscriptions? Im not sure if I really understand what the article is saying, but Im thinking that military service is required for people that want to be in the Russian government. Im not sure if it's saying that everyone has to be in the military?

If it's just for the government, then I agree somewhat with it. If the government position has a chance of commanding troops on the battlefield, then I would say military service should be required for them then. Politicians with no military experience sending troops into battle just does not go well with me.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
good way of rooting out traitors
you gotta spend some time in the military before you even touch government papers or even work for any governmental office.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Putin resign?
He'll throw his "successor" under the bus and it'll be business as usual.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The article's headline is a very unlikely conclusion.
How plausible is it that the leaders would allow such a thing to pass without incorporating exemptions for themselves?
Leaders of a country like Russia being "forced" to resign by one of their own laws?

If the point is to force people to take their military service, then those over normal military-service age would probably have to be exempted anyway.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It notes that Putin did "serve" as an intelligence agent. I don't think they would make Putin resign. He is very popular.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Putin wont resighn he has the power and the money to stay in power forever he is a commie devil. The only way to get rid of him is if he got in the way of a bullet.

top topics

join