It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Prop 8 outlawing gay marriage ruled unconstitutional

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here is another question, why is the Attorny General Gerry Brown of California, why is he demanding that the marriages to be started up again? Why did he not listen to the judges ruling, which was everything would be on hold and passed up to the next court to make the determination?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Like I said before If they dont like being gay then just stop being gay. Its that simple, its not like there a certain race or ethnicity. Its a sexual desire. Also I can not believe people would have the ignorance to think that God and government do not go hand in hand. I have met a few gay people and never been friends with any. I am not saying I want to treat them as second class citizens they have just as much rights as I do. But guess what, marriage is between a man and a woman at least thats what my book tells me. If they want to live together and do what they do fine, let each do there own thing.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by humbleseeker
Like I said before If they dont like being gay then just stop being gay. Its that simple,

NO - its not.

And you are so wrong.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Shouldn't that be up to the person in question?

My response...

Yet, you would require sterilization of close blood relatives, before allowing them a marriage license?

Your question...

How do these two subjects even relate?

Shouldn't the sterilization be "up to the person in question", as well?

I was simply pointing out that you are an advocate of imposing your morals on others, while chastising those who support a ban on gay marriage. You can not have it both ways. Either you support "equal protection" or you do not.

I say "equal protection" is a fantasy. You and I and everyone else has their own ideas of what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve "equal protection". Anarchy is supportive of "equal protection", in that no one should be held accountable for their actions. But, that is a ridiculous idea.

Hence, the only option for establishing societal norms is by the democratic process. And, when that process is subverted by the courts (in this case a single Judge) the American experiment in freedom has failed.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by humbleseeker

Well I guess the country is just lucky that religion is slowly being shut out of politics to where it no longer has the kind of influence in that area as it once did. The reality happens to be that no matter if the public likes it or not, the issue of gay marriage is going to the Supreme Court of the United States of America. The Justices will be split, there is a good chance in favore of stating that Gay marriage is legal in the United States of America.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012DragonSlayer

annee... you must have over looked my question to you.. or maybe it was too tough for ya?? so, ill give you a hint... franchiser...
are you in cali? who do you pay tax to? the state FRANCHISE tax board..
we are the only to do so.. ( www.irs.gov...=100236,00.html )
know why?? figure it out, and you'll have the answer..

[edit on 6-8-2010 by 2012DragonSlayer]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Well I guess the country is just lucky that religion is slowly being shut out of politics to where it no longer has the kind of influence in that area as it once did. The reality happens to be that no matter if the public likes it or not, the issue of gay marriage is going to the Supreme Court of the United States of America. The Justices will be split, there is a good chance in favore of stating that Gay marriage is legal in the United States of America.

It is sad that God is being pushed out of government, I know that the foudning fathers were not your bible thumping Christian neither iam I. But I so doubt that they would have expected what we have now. I think instead of running away from God we need to get back into seeking God. Yes and your right Keagan just got accepted and I dont think we need to debate which way she will vote. These are sad days in America.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

I was simply pointing out that you are an advocate of imposing your morals on others, while chastising those who support a ban on gay marriage. You can not have it both ways. Either you support "equal protection" or you do not.

Morals? How did you bring morals into this?

1. Extending marriage to all consenting adults.

2. Science fact - genetic diversity. Mother/Father/Sister/Brother - - - should not produce off-spring.

You are really reaching.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012DragonSlayer

annee... you must have over looked my question to you.. or maybe it was too tough for ya?? so, ill give you a hint... franchiser...

I was born and raised in SOCA. Actually born in Compton.

NO - - I'm just ignoring any issues - - not related to Equal Rights.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I do agree that religion has a place in society, but not in the government, and not to the point is affects the making and wise governance of the people. The founding fathers were very religious, each believing in the divine, but they knew that mixing religion and politics would be a very bad idea, as history indicated such. I do firmly believe in the wall of seperation of church and state, however, I also believe in a few things that often shock people, such as if the item of a religious nature has been there since the time of my grandparents on government property, then leave it there as it is a point of history.
But back to the topic on hand, gay marriage, and I will tell you why this will come to pass within our own lifetimes, about 10 years. The reason why, is on how the judges make decisions when it comes to cases that are involved with the local and federal laws. As I understand it, and have read, looking at the different opinions made by the courts, most judges, when it comes to cases that deals with the laws, have to do the following: Part is the trial, both sides are expected to present evidence, witnesses and will often cite other cases to prove their side. The judge takes all of this into consideration, and will not only do research on his part, but also have his staff do the research, reading what the opinions were, why the decisions were made and how each justice that ruled, came up with those decisions, as well as how close the case is to a prior judgement. In this case, with prop 8, and the issue of gay marriage, the appeals judges will be looking at the records of the court case. Then they will do the research, looking at all revaliant cases, from all cases dealing with marriage, civil rights, and those cases that deal with gay rights, looking at how it all comes together to the case at hand and then make a ruling. If they feel the judge that heard the case in the first place was in error, they will it send it back down to the lower court, ordering a retrial, but if they feel it was done correct, they will uphold the initial verdict. The judges will ask questions of both sides directly, using the answers to determine which side holds the weight. Based off of what prior cases I have seen, read and looked at, there is a very good chance that the judges will uphold the verdict, even to the supreme court. But it is important to also look at the dissenting opinions along with the opinions of the court cases.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Like I said before If they dont like being gay then just stop being gay. Its that simple,

So you could just as easily be gay then? You find attractive potential mates in both genders?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

You are establishing, with that statement, that it is "immoral" for non-consenting adults to marry.

2. Science fact - genetic diversity. Mother/Father/Sister/Brother - - - should not produce off-spring.

Why should it be up to you or anyone else to restrict their "right" to produce off-spring? Is it because you believe it is immoral to produce off-spring who may be genetically inferior?

You are really reaching.

Not really. You just refuse to see your own blatant, double standards.

Anyway, like I said in my first post. I could not care less about same-sex marriage. I agree with Kinky Friedman, "They should be allowed to be just as miserable as the rest of us"

[edit on 6-8-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by c g henderson

So you could just as easily be gay then? You find attractive potential mates in both genders?

Sure I guess If I got sick enough in the head, maybe by being in prison for more than 10 years or if I just got caught up in that lifestyle with others. Its a disease so I am sure it can be passed. I guess I have lied I have been good friend with some lesbian woman. And Yes I didnt see anything wrong with it. Well I still thought they were messed up but I didnt hold it agaisnt them.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I was born and raised in SOCA. Actually born in Compton.

NO - - I'm just ignoring any issues - - not related to Equal Rights.

than why did you reply to me in the first place???
you fail to see that in california you only have rights granted to you, if they are in the interest of the cooperation... but, hey, i lead you to the deeper stream, drink if you want...

my position on the issue is if anyone or group of people wants to enter into a contract, such as marriage, if all parties are consenting to the terms.. more power to you... same sex, polygamists.. brother sister.. i realy dont care.. i might not agree, but, its none of my or my states business...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

You are establishing, with that statement, that it is "immoral" for non-consenting adults to marry.

Wrong. I am saying no minors and no forced marriage.

Why should it be up to you or anyone else to restrict their "right" to produce off-spring? Is it because you believe it is immoral to produce off-spring who may be genetically inferior?

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Annee]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

than why did you reply to me in the first place???
you fail to see that in california you only have rights granted to you, if they are in the interest of the cooperation... but, hey, i lead you to the deeper stream, drink if you want...

my position on the issue is if anyone or group of people wants to enter into a contract, such as marriage, if all parties are consenting to the terms.. more power to you... same sex, polygamists.. brother sister.. i realy dont care.. i might not agree, but, its none of my or my states business...

You addressed me.

If I responded to you on anything other then equality - then there is an error.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Sure I guess If I got sick enough in the head, maybe by being in prison for more than 10 years or if I just got caught up in that lifestyle with others. Its a disease so I am sure it can be passed.

OK, see if you can bring some reality to your thoughts for a moment.

You just said that they should just stop being gay because it is that simple. Now you claim it is a disease and would take a decade of trauma to catch it yourself? Um huh? Is it just a simple matter of choice or a disease? Is it that simple to choose not to have cancer?

I guess I have lied I have been good friend with some lesbian woman. And Yes I didnt see anything wrong with it. Well I still thought they were messed up but I didnt hold it agaisnt them.

Whatever.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

clearly an error on your part then... anyways, your welcome for my time... continue enlightening us on your views on equality, and... eugenics? wft.. lol

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

clearly an error on your part then... anyways, your welcome for my time... continue enlightening us on your views on equality, and... eugenics? wft.. lol

Show me.

Show me where I made the error.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A wise man once said facts change principles dont, whats wrong with the country now is what are laws being interpeted as fact or princples. Arnt laws based on princples? Do people now a days even know the difference between a fact or a principle? The world right now is living in a gray area, there is no direction. Not a good thing. Its good to look into the gray area and learn alittle about life, but dont live in it because sooner or latter it will distort ones life. By the way the wise mans name bishop T.D. Jakes.

new topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join