It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate jobs bill clears key hurdle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The bill advanced by a 61-38 tally that ensures the measure will pass the Senate on Wednesday or Thursday. The House may return early during from its August recess for a final vote that would deliver the bill to President Barack Obama, his larger jobs agenda curtailed by Republicans who argue against the spending it would entail.

Moderate Republican Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine cast the key votes to break the GOP filibuster.

The bill would extend programs enacted in last year's stimulus law to help preserve the jobs of teachers, police officers, firefighters and other public employees.

news.yahoo.com...

Okay, why are the Republicans so against keeping teachers and cops employed? It seems that every jobs/unemployment bill is being unanimously opposed by the Republican Party? Meanwhile, spending billions on wars and the military is cool, and continuing the tax cuts for the wealthiest 1% is the bees knees, but helping keep cops at work is bad?

This is pure insanity.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The reason why the Republicans are fighting against such, is cause like the rest of the country, this is a bill that will do absolutely nothing for the economy and lie to the public about its true intentions. The federal government for the past few years, with every jobs bill, and stimulus package has not seen an increase in the number of people going back to work. The way the accounting office keeps track of the numbers, well it is questionable, cause 2 plus 2 do not add up.
The way that they have been reporting the job numbers, and the census is a good example of such, is that they hire then fire then hire the same person back. So they report 3 jobs are either created or saved. It is a falsehood and does nothing to help out. The other aspect of this bill is that it is playing politics with the very people of the country, the only losers are the citizens.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I agree with you completely about the lies in relation to the jobless rate and the failures of the Obama administration. I am not saying that the democrats are the good guys and the republicans are the bad guys because they all play for the same team: Team Rich Guys.

However, it seems that the republicans has no independent thinkers. And while I agree that the so called stimulus hasn't created jobs as promised, giving the extremely cash strapped states some money to keep cops, firefighters and teachers employed is not a bad thing.

Also, raising the taxes on the top one percent of Americans is not so bad either. While I aspire to one day join their ranks, they have enjoyed unparalleled prosperity on the backs of the other 99% of us. There is a song called "I want to be a Billionaire" on the radio, I just want to be able to keep my head above water. LOL.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If it were a bill to benefit WEALTHY CEO's of this country, you can bet EVERYTHING that you own that the Republicans would vote UNANIMOUSLY in FAVOR of it!!!

The Republicans HATE the middle class and do NOT want to see Obama turn this BUSH-screwed economy back around.

UNLIMITED money for WAR, but AS ALWAYS, Republicans CANT help the middle class and HARD-WORKING Americans.

The Republican MADNESS NEVER CHANGES people, WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!

Republicans in office= TERRIBLE economy, WAR, tax breaks and perks for the WEALTHY which BARELY if ANY ever trickles down for a FEW!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baloney
If it were a bill to benefit WEALTHY CEO's of this country, you can bet EVERYTHING that you own that the Republicans would vote UNANIMOUSLY in FAVOR of it!!!

The Republicans HATE the middle class and do NOT want to see Obama turn this BUSH-screwed economy back around.

UNLIMITED money for WAR, but AS ALWAYS, Republicans CANT help the middle class and HARD-WORKING Americans.

The Republican MADNESS NEVER CHANGES people, WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!

Republicans in office= TERRIBLE economy, WAR, tax breaks and perks for the WEALTHY which BARELY if ANY ever trickles down for a FEW!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Baloney]

republicans hate the middle class eh.....

i submit to you its the liberals/democrats who have created the conditions that pay people not to work and not to farm

i submit to you that it is the democrats/liberlas and their tools of wealth destruction with their:
unions
regualtions
taxes

that run off business and investment opportunites in this country kill every advantage the average american has had in the past to make themselves self suffiecient.

they actively seek and destroy everything availble so we will all be dependent upon democrats for everything:
how to think
what to eat
what we can drink
etc.............

it is my humble opinion for what its worth-democrats/liberals are no friend to the middle class

because whats the point of unions,taxes,regualtions when there is no private business or banking left in this country.

the only thing that is left is YOU with you hand out begging to be fed,clothed,housed.etc.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by neo96]

new topics

top topics

join