It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Day says new prisons needed for "Unreported Crimes"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Day says new prisons needed for "Unreported Crimes"

www.ctv.ca

Stockwell Day is facing criticism after he suggested that Ottawa needs to spend billions of dollars on new prisons in order to lock up people who commit unreported crimes.

The president of the Treasury Board made the comments at a press conference on Tuesday, which centred on the Conservatives' plan to cut the federal deficit.

When asked by a reporter why the government intends to spend billions of dollars to expand the penitentiary system in the face of falling crime rates, Day replied: "People simply aren't reporting the same way they used to."

"I'm saying one statistic of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
In the last 12 hours I have read how the Canadian minister in charge of prisons has stated that violent criem is increasing (it's decreasing), that this same Stockwell Day has stated that there is no need to investigate "Agent Provoceteurs" at the SPP in '07 (or G20 this year) and now the need to build more prsions.....hmmmmm. I thought the US was a police sate!

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
ok this is stupid they need more prisons for a criminal that hasn't comited a crime?
man they need to change the NWO call letters to MUD that is DUM as they have proven time and agai

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What a confusing article. I wonder how they figure they're going to find these unreported crimes. Seeings as how they weren't serious enough to report them. They must be serious crimes to put someone in jail.
What are they going to do that's so different?

We need a government that knows how to make sense.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I hear there are some empty prisons in California. Maybe Canada could rent some at a bargain rate. California certainly needs the money.

Yeah...the unreported crime thing is...odd.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
How do you identify and try an unreported crime?

And why is the President of The Treasury not only calling for such an unprecedented action but why is he making it in the face of falling Crime rates?

Perhaps there is money to be made from societies handling of persons accused of crimes...it would explain why everything is becoming against the law and/or havng a fee attached to it...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
sounds to me like he wants to build prisons for anti government groups etc... fema camps?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The problem is that most of these 'small crimes' are committed by people who have been sent before the judge and then released onto the street 'cause there isn't enough room to incarcerate them.

They IMMEDIATELY go out and commit more 'small crimes'. Most small time criminals are repeat offenders and if anyone knows how to reform them in the most effective way possible, I'm certain the government would like to hear from you.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its almost like the underlying conversation would go something like this..

Govt - We need new prisons! Lots of them! Big ones!!

People - Why? The Crime rate if falling??

Govt - For people who commit currently un-reported crimes!

People - What?! That doesn't make any sense! What un-reported crimes? Who are you going to arrest?!?"

Govt - Oh, there are lots and lots of people that need to be arrested. We'll let you know for what. Just trust us, we are here to help.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

That would make sense. But that's not what the story says. The story says they need space for unreported crime.

Which I guess means they're going to go out and find some more criminals, somehow.

The Prison Industrial Complex needs more workers to make more profit!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Until I see some more substantial reporting on this matter, I will chalk it up to one thing:

Day wants more funding into penal system.

Why? Don't know, maybe he's just trying to get his hands on surplus monies that are appearing from the lack of major recession?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
While I do agree that unreported crime is a reality, his solution to this issue defies logic. At the bottom of the article, it says that StatsCan found the main reasons for not reporting a crime to the police included thinking it wasn't serious, fearing revenge, and believing the police are biased.

I think everyone here can agree that the people who commit unreported crimes cannot be prosecuted, nor can they be imprisoned. So rather than get started on building prisons for people who cannot be imprisoned, it would make far more sense to devise some kind of campaign to address the issues raised by the StatsCan responses.

When a person calls in to report a crime, their testimony is taken and filed in a police report. If the crime goes through to court, those reports are used by the Crown to prosecute the accused. The person who reported the crime is subpoenaed and is forced to testify in court. (While there may be other circumstances where this is unnecessary, this is the general rule.)
When subpoenaed, the citizen must go to court - making it necessary to take time off of work, get to the court house, find childcare, etc. - and if they do not show up then they can be held in Contempt of Court, which can include jail, and fines. All of this because you were a good citizen who reported a crime.

Sometimes those who report crimes are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you witness a stabbing and report it to the police, and confirm the identity of said stabber - you will be summoned to court. If you go, the stabber and his cronies can get a good look at you. He may not be able to find you after the hearing, but his friends certainly can. If you want to avoid being targeted by a violent group and ignore the summons, you can be fined or go to jail. Someone I know went through something like this, and was subsequently forced to move three times because the defense attorney had access to her address and the criminal gained access to it, twice. When she filed a complaint with the police, they said that if she had any problems she could call them and file a report...

Being a Crown witness can be terrible, the defense attorney will try to make them look bad in order to get the testimony thrown out of court. And what do you do when these people get out of jail, angry that your testimony put them there. The prison system is flawed because violent people often become more violent.

The government needs to address the fact that people are losing confidence in the police, and their ability/desire to serve and protect. Corruption in the system only feeds the belief that criminal behavior can be found through out the system and not only "on the streets". I think focusing on this mind-set and what supports this attitude should be the highest priority, followed by increasing confidence in the system through honest solutions for these issues.

Spending billions of dollars on prisons to house criminals that are unknown is not the solution, and only succeeds in further destroying the population's confidence in the system.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

It seems to me that most "small crime" is related to drugs...perhaps that accounts for "large" crime. too? Then there's the pot laws.........

Once again,........hmmmmmm

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

Well said and your views are well come. I still harbour suspicion of this Minister for whom I've voted (and his Reform/Alliance/Conservative numerous times over the past 17 years). When you observe Canadian events and couple them with American (Infowars) events......hmmmmm

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Stockwell has alsways been a sort of wierdo in Canadian politics anyways.....Hes got a portfolio because they havent anyone else with a high enough profile to put in his place....Even though the country kina puts up with his idiocy, we all know hes a bit off the deep end.
I am sure that he is mainly interested in the fortunes of Stockwell Day and not in the welfare of those who suffer from unreported crimes.......
Though i can see the future laws enacted by parliament becoming more and more totalitarian in keeping with US Gov policy.
Canadian conservatives fawn all over their US counterparts.
As a canadian it makes me want to puke.
Stockwell is no exception.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Exactly. What a crock. How do you try and convict someone of an "unreported crime?"

Its lunacy.

Sounds like Canadian politicians and corporate prisons are learning from the US. Locking people up is big business. Guaranteed income.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
How do you identify and try an unreported crime?

And why is the President of The Treasury not only calling for such an unprecedented action but why is he making it in the face of falling Crime rates?

Perhaps there is money to be made from societies handling of persons accused of crimes...it would explain why everything is becoming against the law and/or havng a fee attached to it...

For what other way than to create a ridgidly controlled workforce who will labour away for pennies per hour to produce consumer goods. As they are prisoners they can be treated just the same as Dickensian workhouse inmates

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hthjason

Thanks
and the conspiracy theorist in me agrees that there could be something fishy in his proposal (when you consider it in regards to some of the possible activities in America). It makes me wonder about the future of our judicial system and how he intends on finding these unreported crimes, and what will happen to those who choose not to report crimes.

Although the realist in me just sees another politician pushing for something that will allow him to fill his pockets further. It seems more like a ruse to gain favor in some way. I just wish there could be a little more common sense in government spending and a little less posturing ("tough on crime"...even if we don't know about it).

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I find this incredibly amusing, just a big laugh eh. Wow. He's in the Okanagan riding, my home town area, and he is going be treated to a series, not just one, not a chance, of very informative letter detailing the amazing links I see in his stateements and the G20 that was here on Canadian soil, with the closing speech that was showing a worldwide conspiracy amongst these elite (who are merely employees of the people lest they forget this) for paying back illegal money to illegal bankers instead of abolishing debts and imprisoning them for exhortion, which is going to happen, I've seen it and envision and will work for it.
And calling for a reduction of 90% of the worlds population. Arrests should have been made on the spot of all attending.

Now, suddenly thought crimes, maybe, NWO wants prisons, hmmmm.....interesing and pay down debts. Just rip it up and arrest the bankers, oh, and some of the leaders too. Yes, he's getting some very infomative letters. I have a forum for my area, and one I intend to duplicate for the Okangan, a message board, informative, and encouraging all to wake up.

They havent gotten up and running, but these guys will be facing, newseltter, tshirts, and a massive campaing at local levels. I'm going to point out that he may think NWO and international banking agendas and depopulation is coming, but he's backed the wrong team and he hasnt seen nothing yet that comign clean, changing stripes, and going on the side of the people might be in his best intersts but we're going to get rid of them.

We don't waste much tax dollars on prisons and we're not about to join the US in this eitehr. BUt if they do build a couple more, his group and the bankers/bildenburgers are going to be the ones in them for crimes against humanity, exhortion, treason, slavery, and many many abuses.

By the way, this is how you wake communities up. Local message board/forum. And link the name to your area so it might eventually show up in searches. Cover many topic with many videos.

I havent finished the ready part, but I do notice google doesnt pick things up. So then you get some local advertisements and put some youtube videos out, at least a freind suggested this. I have thought of Tshirt stenciled up and lots of other ways to get people interested. The best defense curently is letter writing and phone calls, which people don't do in large numbers, and if necessary, lining up outside their local offices. I would use bullhorns. A freind thought this was not love & light enough. They're murdering people and harming billions. And bullhorns shouting no is wrong? How. How is it wrong? Speaking up and shouting No is wrong! Not doing so is wrong!

I saw on Alex Jones vidoes of bildenburn how much they detest bullhorns so I think we all need one. They ducked and dodged and need to this on the way the way out the door.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I agree with you. This is a follow the money story. Somebody is looking to get a ton of tax payer cash to spiff friends in the construction or some other industry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join