It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation and quantum entanglement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Teleportation and quantum entanglement

"Quantum entanglement" may sound like an awful sci-fi romance flick, but it's actually a phenomenon that physicists say may someday lead to the ability to teleport an object all the way across the galaxy instantly.

Source - NPR

This raises some intresting questions. I continue to find the realm of Quantum Mechanics very intresting. Every article I come across seems to advance the potential of humankind.

I hope I get to see the day when the words "beam me up" are stated while news crews record the event.

I am curious how they can keep track of the "tether" bewteen atoms across the entire galaxy. I also found it amazing that the tether can exceed the speed of light. I think Einstein would be turning in his grave if he were alive to see that the light barrier is breakable. I wonder what he could get done had he been born later, where his research would be now and not 60 years ago.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Xcathdra]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't have much to add here and don't have my sources available, but about a month ago, it was publicized that science has now achieved quantum teleportation of data. Mix that in with MIT's supposed working "time machine" model and who knows what tech we actually have that we aren't being told about.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
I don't have much to add here and don't have my sources available, but about a month ago, it was publicized that science has now achieved quantum teleportation of data. Mix that in with MIT's supposed working "time machine" model and who knows what tech we actually have that we aren't being told about.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

This is what you are referring to I beleive. Austrailian scientists teleported data over 10miles. I am curious though about the fact these atoms resonate / vibrate, and if that discovery is in fact a re-discovery of lost information (Theories about the Great Pyramids being able to focus / resonate).

There has also been some theories that when the pyramids were built a special "rod" was used on the stones that caused them to resonate / vibrate, allowing it to lift off the ground and be pushed a few hundred feet before settling back down on the ground, where the process would be repeated.

I think scientists / archeologists are sometimes to quick to dismiss theories that do not fit with main stream ideas.

Edit: Although the process can be questioned, here is one example of resonance and levitation:

Coral Castle

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I think Einstein would be turning in his grave if he were alive to see that the light barrier is breakable. I wonder what he could get done had he been born later, where his research would be now and not 60 years ago.

but if he had not been born when he was, perhaps we would not be where we are at, now!

i don't know.
i might have more to add but i haven't read the link, yet.

i just wanted to say that, because it was an immediate thought!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Quick, everyone Jaunt!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Quantum entanglement is all about perspective.

You see from our perspective it's a spooky action at a distance (as described by Einstein) no matter how far apart the particles are.

But from the perspective of the particles at their fundamental level, they are never separated as they are directly connected to each other at the planck scale where dimension and distance are meaningless.

It's a hard concept to get your head around if you are not familiar with string theory or Loop Quantum Gravity.

Nutshell... All matter is just twisted braids in space-time. In other words you and the chair where you currently sit are all made from the same stuff... Space-time itself.

Now picture yourself standing up and walking away, from your perspective you are now quite clearly separated from the chair... But when you consider that you and the chair are in fact one and the same, it's easier to understand how quantum entanglement works.

Do you follow?

Korg.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Quantum entanglement is all about perspective.

You see from our perspective it's a spooky action at a distance (as described by Einstein) no matter how far apart the particles are.

But from the perspective of the particles at their fundamental level, they are never separated as they are directly connected to each other at the planck scale where dimension and distance are meaningless.

It's a hard concept to get your head around if you are not familiar with string theory or Loop Quantum Gravity.

Nutshell... All matter is just twisted braids in space-time. In other words you and the chair where you currently sit are all made from the same stuff... Space-time itself.

Now picture yourself standing up and walking away, from your perspective you are now quite clearly separated from the chair... But when you consider that you and the chair are in fact one and the same, it's easier to understand how quantum entanglement works.

Do you follow?

Korg.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

Lol intresting description, but it does make sense. Best sci fi geek analogy I can give is the Great Link from Startrek DS9. Individual but linked together as one.

I love quantum mechanics.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I came across this today and I was wondering what ATSers thought about it.

New Type Of Entanglement Allows 'Teleportation in Time,' Say Physicists

Conventional entanglement links particles across space. Now physicists say a similar effect links particles through time.

...Olson and Ralph's teleportation provides a shortcut into the future. What they're saying is that it's possible to travel into the future without being present during the time in between.

That's a fascinating scenario that immediately raises many questions. One of the first that springs to mind is what advantage might we get from this process. Might it be possible, for example, to make short-lived particles live longer by teleporting them into the future?

That isn't clear. Neither is it clear exactly how such an experiment might be done although. Presumably, it wouldn't be very different to the type of teleportation that is done in labs all over the world today, as a matter of routine (in fact Olson and Ralph say that timelike entangelment is interchangeable with the spacelike version).

That means it's only a matter of time before somebody tries it.

www.technologyreview.com...

So if this is successfully done, does that mean the end of "time" as we know?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
About space time entanglement:

Wouldn't an entangled particle in the past also change to reflect the state of its sister particle in the future, meaning data transfer is possible both ways?

An interesting experiment would be to set up a lab for communicating with the future version of the lab to obtain information that hasn't been discovered yet. Depending on the scale of time they are able to communicate on if it works it has the potential to rapidly advance 'our' dimension into the future technologically. If there is no answer then either we have a reason to be worried or it just doesn't work like that.

top topics

join