It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How credible is palm reading?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What are your thoughts on reading one's palm to see the future?
Is that even possible? There are numerous sites that offer you information about reading your palm.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
what about someone born with no hands? I'm not buying it

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Well I don't know about that.
Second line.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
waste of money if you ask me. someone holds your hand and tell's you good things that are going to happen. and when they say something bad might happen its followd by dont worry though because this leads to something better. con artists! each to there own.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Look at your palm. Scrunch it up a little. See where the lines come from? What the correlation of how your joints cause your grip to form to what the future might be seems pretty unlikely.

As with most of these sorts of things, vague generalities and pleasant outlooks go a long way.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Palm readers are barely credible.

But they have more credibility than the doomsday prophets on ATS!

At least a palm reader can look at you hands and see scars and callouses and infer some things from that. Past that, I think it is a sham!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

yeah but the doomsdayer's dont want your hard earnd cash. i personaly find some of them fairly amusing and see them as just another part of ATS. its a case of taking the good with the bad.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I believe in energy. I believe there are people who connect with thought energy - which helps one read another person's thoughts.

Hands/Tea Leaves/Crystal Balls - - - are just props.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Some palm reading can be useful. My son was born with one line across his left hand. He has a missing heart line, (either that or heart and head lines have merged. Anyway, seeing this the doc had his heart checked and found a murmur there. He's fine now.

In the news there was a story of a man who was introduced to a doctor by a mutual friend. When they shook hands the doc noticed the man's palm was quite smooth and spongy and urged the man to go to hospital. He was diagnosed with something very serious (forgot what it was) but the signs were in his palm and his life was saved by that handshake.

I have millions of lines on my palms, always have, and friends used to notice it when we played palm reading as kids. I thought perhaps it was because I was an old soul or something but I found out recently it's called palmar hyperlinearity. Nothing special but kind of rare.

I'm sure there's a lot of other things that can be found out by reading the palm but things like -how may lines are at the end of a clenched fist tells you how many kids you'll have- is kinda rubbish. I can't manage having another 40.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well I'll say this, someone told me once that palm lines change and after that I started studying them, What I found was new finer lines were appearing, some large and getting deeper, but what is most interesting is the standard palmistry explanation was accurate, citing skills or mentalities I was developing. Everything else there seems pretty accurate.

I think people struggle to wrap their minds around this one. Metaphysics are frustrating for everyone involved. Its difficult for me to explain my opinion on anything metaphysical because I stopped looking at such things like different categories with linear explanations... rather I see an interwoven web, an entire picture.. there's no "this happens because THIS".. its more like "this happens because this happened and that is happening while this is happening and really is just like an expression of something much more simpler happening with a conceptual point or origin and it all wraps us loose ends and flows and shifts etc"

So palmistry... say for instance your whole body or better yet reality is like a dream of sorts.. in the sense its like a theme being played out by your subconscious where symbols exist everywhere (synchronicities / co-incidence) that we become conscious of sometimes... in our dreams, it can appear rather normal but upon further examination we realize the themes represent something in the back of our mind. I have come to see life itself this way, like one big subconscious symbol generator for the purpose of experimentation / knowledge and evolution, to expand the mind / experience of the consciousness of the universe or something like that.

SOOOOOO... palmistry... is like "look, there are these here stupid, just like the rest of your body, its something generated from the depths of your mind which you hardly know... these lines in particular can be read, just like anything else, if you developed a system.. but in fact they are simple creases in your hand... folds in your skin,...but just like everything else, its all symbolic."

So I wonder how I can throw down a few simple cards with some pretty pictures and associations and make people s#$& there pants if there wasn't some symbolic subconscious generation happening in this reality.

Tarot cards are just cards, bones are just bones, palm lines are just creases in your hand.. but they are all symbolic of something.

My opinion. My palmistry for myself I find to be pretty damn accurate, just as accurate as in depth astrology. I don't know if people are just in denial and can't admit their flaws or something that they can't admit when these things are accurate, because for me they usually are quite spot on.

But I wouldn't personaly pay for a palmistry reading. I've payed 5 bucks here and there for tarot reading because i found them accurate and went down the road of relying on such things, which is a whole learning process in itself.. when you read for yourself you realize how you can alter the result by wishful thinking. Fortune telling works, but the factors have to be just right.. either way, I wouldn't rely on it, nor would I grasp anything as unchanging fact. Keep your mind open and just work with what you got, your abilities as a person as you have realized and developed and the opportunities and choice of how to apply them. Just relax and forget the past or possible future, it'll drive you mad. It did for me. I beat a lot of fear when I stopped expecting / anticipating results and I am much more in control You can work yourself up with so much anxiety and more times then not its unfounded. Understanding how a simple thought can shift your whole balance puts a certain priority on staying centered. It has wonderful results to say the least.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I have millions of lines too, some of them over time stand out and get deeper though.

Your right about the kid thing, palmists usually avoid that whole area, the kids/ relationship area.. I think it's very circumstancial or not quite the symbolic meaning they think it is.

I'll be interested in my relationship lines hold true, its interesting my thoughts have shifted towards this "free love" idea.
... Possible future wife is in for a surprise unless she's down with that.. I find myself staring at that line in disbelief and kind of wondering the possible circumstances leading up to that if its true. The line i'm referring to depicts 2 relationships going on at once. But my comment was mostly that the whole area of your hand seems to be pretty innaccurate for many people. The mount of mercury, under the pinky.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
O i can help you make your palm red right now ok.
and even tell you within the next five mints you will be fealing pain.
ok ready? start clapping your hands toghter as hard as possible for the next five mints . Then take a look and you will see your palms are RED and farther more I will have proved i can tell the futcher as you are now in pain just like said would happen.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

About as credible as phrenology or the hairball oracle from Huckleberry Finn. Or card reading, tea leaves, bone casting, or any other form of cleromancy. I don't put any stock in it. As entertainment or a "fun" thing, maybe. Beyond that, I think it's hooey.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

In this day and age I regard any type of "reader" as suspect at best.

News Readers, Palm readers, Book readers are all subject the indivudal that may not be capable of understanding what they are reading.

Look at the bible or Quran. Millions reading both of those and lots of misreads occuring.

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

About as credible as reading tea leaves, entrails, crystals, dowsing rods, carrying a lucky rabbits foot and astrology - so not accurate or credible at all.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well as someone who used to read palms (for fun, never for money), I have to say that to this day it still intrigues me. Obviously, depending on who does it, there's always the chance you're being scammed. IMHO, I don't know if its possible to tell someone's future or not by reading their palm. However, I'll tell you of my past experiences with the practice of it.

When I was about 15/16 I joined a book club and bought a book on palmistry. I read it and looked at my hand and really, just thought it was kind of cool at that age. The next year in my Psychology class as part of a fun project, we got to help out a class of university psychology students who as one of their projects, they were learning about and creating personality profiling. So basically, we acted as their guinea pigs and answered all their questions and based on our answers, they sent us each back a personality profile of ourselves which was extremely accurate. At the end of the semester, our psych prof told us we had to do a project and that it could be on anything we wanted. After discussing with him (because I attended a Catholic High School), I went ahead and did my project on palmistry.

For my project, I explained all the things that your hand can tell you based on the shape of your hand and fingers, size of the mounts and distinguishing characteristics of the lines. Then I photocopied my hand and explained what my hand said about me. Now all I did for my own hand was examine everything about it and report what the book said it meant. The funny thing about my results was that they pretty much matched almost exactly what the personality profile had said about me.

That situation made my interest in the topic grow and I went about learning more over the years (I'm now 31), but no longer practice palmistry. As I said above, I never charged money for doing it and was usually pretty picky about when I was willing to do it - I preferred to wait until I got a feeling about the people I was with before I felt comfortable (although sometimes I would do it on request). I almost always found though that when I was the one to initiate it, I got better results because if I felt "forced" into doing it, I didn't usually care enough to try.

The other thing I will say is that when I read, I was very clear with people that I would NOT tell them about their future (although that's exactly what people really want to know about, obviously). I explained that I would rather tell them about their past as that way they would know whether it was true or not. With one exception, I always stuck to my rule and that was only because I felt pulled to do otherwise.

Something else I should explain is that even though when I would start, I would first look for similar things that we both shared on our hands, then I would move on to looking for things that I knew (according to the book). By the time I was done that (now, bear with me as this is harder, even for me, to quite understand) I sort of felt like I would be getting "feelings" about what other things were there. I know it sounds kind of weird but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

Anyway, I was always courteous about it (I tended to pull people away from a group if I thought what I said should be kept private), I took my time as much as possible and I would do it until I sort of felt like I was drained and couldn't see anything else on their hand. I almost always enjoyed it, seemed to make the people happy and even managed to surprise myself a few times with things I know even today that there's no conceivable way I should have known.

I practiced from about the age of 21-27, then made the choice to stop as it wasn't really something I was comfortable with. I still get requests even now but I'll only do it if I'm completely comfortable in the situation and if I'm not, I politely decline. Strangers were my favorite to read because I knew that I wouldn't know anything about them to cloud things.

new topics

top topics

join