It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Ahmadinejad just survive an assassination attempt this morning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The conservative Iranian website, khabaronline.ir, said a grenade exploded as the president's(Ahmadinejad) convoy headed from the airport to the venue for the speech, but did not harm him.

However,

Eyewitnesses in Hamedan told The Associated Press by telephone that the explosion definitely came from a firecracker.

"It was a firecracker, which made a sound and produced smoke near where I was standing," Amin Mehrabi said. "Many people filmed it with their cell phone cameras."

Full Story

Was this really an assassination attempt this morning as was first reported? There seems to be quite a bit of smoke in a photo shot just after whatever the explosion was.

Whatever it was, at least 1 person was arrested. The official Iranian news agency later claimed it was only a firecracker from a happy celebrant that the leader was there.
Sure it was.

Ahmadinejad has been seeing his popularity fall lately according to the article. Several other unofficial news agencies have also called the explosion as a concussion grenade.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

However,

Eyewitnesses in Hamedan told The Associated Press by telephone that the explosion definitely came from a firecracker.

....snip... "Many people filmed it with their cell phone cameras."

seriously, thanks for sharing the story..

maybe i'm in a little bit of a humorous mood, but ...

eyewitnesses said the EXPLOSION was a firecracker?

i can tell the difference between an explosion (big boom) and a firecracker (pop), but some firecrackers do make loud pops, so maybe it is just my interpretation.

and the fact that many people filmed the firecracker with their phone cameras ... by chance while filiming Mahmoud, or were they more focussed on the firecracker than Mahmoud?

i'll read more of the article when i get back later this afternoon.

thanks for sharing,
et

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
A seperate Yahoonews account talks about the confusion between a grenade and a home made noise bomb. I find it humerous that they would say it was not a bomb, yet Ahmadinejad goes on to state Israel has hired mercenaries to try to assasinate him.

Ahmadinejad talks about the attempt - Weg Aug 4th

I am curious how this will play out. With ever increasing reports of a military buildup by coalition forces for a possible strike on Iranian nuke sites, Ahmadinejad going on to state Israel is behind the assasination attempt.

Sounds like something is about to go down.

new topics

join