It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capitol cops: OK to hang senators in effigy, just don’t beat them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

Free speech sometimes has strange limitations.

"The Capitol Police are fairly jaded about protests, but they get a bit more careful when it comes to pretending to hang a member of Congress," Ambreen Ali noted at Congress.org on Friday.

As anti-abortion protesters gathered outside the Senate Thursday, a dozen police officers stood poised to make arrests if the activists went too far.

Hanging but not beating....
This makes absolutely no sense at all. Beating effigys is a time honored tradition that goes way back. I suppose burning effigys is now frowned upon too. We can't have any fun.

We can waterboard and torture real people but can't beat an effity. Gotta love it!!!

Mondo Cane anyone?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
They might be scared of the voodoo effect.

Reckon?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Maybe they meant you could hang effigies, and that you couldn't beat an actual Politician.LOL

Yea I know blah blah blah second line.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by ohioriver]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hanging effigies are simply another type of sign. While people beating an effigies is an action likely to rile the crowd leading to potentially dangerous situations.

You have to remember you have the mob mentality in action here. People will do things in crowds they would never think of doing individually. All it takes is a few riled up individuals to turn a protest into a riot.

Now, I believe they might frown on burning effigies due to what I assume would be some type of burning ban in the city. They most likely would have to have a special permit and arrange for fire department services to burn effigies. In addition, I assume they would have to rope off the area where the burning effigy is located. Fire is nothing to play around with in crowds.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Star and Flag!

That is the ultimate in goofiness. You may hang an effigy, you may burn a flag, but OMG!!!

Don't you dare beat an effigy!!!

WTH do they charge you with? You beat the stuffing out of a doll, fer cryin' out loud!

At least if you burn a flag, you might be risking a catastrophe.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I thought this was interesting...

Unable to beat Graham with a stick, the activists settled for slapping his image.

The world of American politics has become so surreal and bizarre that our forefathers must be spinning in their graves in astonishment and disgust.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yes, back in their day, the founding fathers were aquainted with a process called tar and feathering, which was performed on the actual person, not an effigy. Mostly tax collectors that got that treatment.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Oh there's so much more at the link. Turns out the Poli Pinata was filled with plastic babies. They're beating an effigy of Lindsay Graham because he voted for Elena Kagan and now she's going to slaughter millions of babies... you can't make this stuff up.

join