It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Doomsayers: Why is this date different to the thousands of failed doomsday dates?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

There was a person named Bruno. He is a little famous for being the last person burned at the stake by the Church.

Bruno

In one of his books he wrote something like envisioning what Italy would like if he were looking at the Earth from the moon. He says something along the lines of Italy being a string shaped like a boot. He died in 1600. That's pretty visionary for someone 410 years ago.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Maybe I'm missing your point. By the 16th century there were some pretty decent maps available.

1563:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The person was asking about seeing the Earth from space and I was pointing out that the same dream had been stated over 400 years earlier when Bruno wrote about standing on the moon and seeing the Earth.

As you point out Bruno was able to give a good description because of the availability of good maps.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

yeah...thats what i was talking about. there are some changes around us. i have talked to my friends about it and everybody thinks that the world feels like a dream now, with everything changing so fast and in a kind of filmy manner.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I dont understand why people put so much faith in these predictions. I mean, i would like something to happen, but in all honestly, nothing is going to happen, just like past predictions like this. When nothing happens in 2012, these people will move on to the next one, and believe this one will come true.

Its such a sad way to live your life because you will always be disapointed

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Regarding the Egyptian Pyramid timeline theory? Is this theory based on measurements in inches? While listening to TV last night I was half alseep and listening to this theory and I started laughing when I heard inches. How could an ancient anything have a secret timeline based on a measurement of a man's thumb in the future? No one knew what an inch was thousands of years ago. It seems to me that this theory is just guys taking measurements until they find one that somehow fits anything remotely close to 2012.

Also, when I heard the narrator say :Some believe that when found, this golden capstone will be placed atop the GReat Pyramid and shoot a paranormal beam into the Heavens and thwart the impending threat." It was at this point that I realized how completely ridiculous this 2012 nonsense has really become and I turned off the TV. Magical beams? Missing capstones? Pyramids are machines? How can these people say such things without laughing?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
[snip]
- you act like you don't understand what i'm saying because of a typo?

- you make up counter points to argue against my facts

[snip]

so when you actually come up with real facts, maybe i'll grace you with a debate, until then, go play with your laughable logic and your cheap stereo equipment.

[snip]research and think out what you are going to type before you type it...

Here is an example of a total lie coming from you:

Like this one that the mayan calendar isn't accurate,
lol:

snip

That's not true at all. Their calendar was not accurate, nor were their astronomical observations that accurate. The latter was due to the limited instruments they had available to them.

and yes the mayan calendar was VERY ACCURATE Mayan calendar accuracy

The accepted definition of a solar tropical year is approximately 365.2422 days.

The Gregorian Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2425 days.

The Mayan Calendar year comparison has an average length of approximately 365.2420 days.

The variation for the Gregorian calendar is .0003. The variation for the Mayan Calendar is .0002. Small numbers until you start working with periods of time greater than 100,000 years or so, which is what the Long Count is doing.

The Gregorian calculation for a year is (400 * 365) + 100 - 3 = 146,097 / 400 = 365.2425

Removed personal attacks.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by insideNSA]

[edit on 13/8/10 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
[snip]... you say the pyramid timeline is rubbish?

uhhhh actually its not rubbish at all

removed personal attack

Terms And Conditions Of Use

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 13/8/10 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA

also stereoass... you say the pyramid timeline is rubbish?

uhhhh actually its not rubbish at all

Hello insideNSA. Can you tell me why you think the pyramid timeline is valid or accurate? I do not know much about it. Since you're a believer, can you tell me a little about the timeline and why you feel this way?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA

The accepted definition of a solar tropical year is approximately 365.2422 days.

The Gregorian Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2425 days.

The Mayan Calendar year comparison has an average length of approximately 365.2420 days.

I've seen this problem a few times..

first of all... the haab calendar was 18 months x 20 day with a 5 days period that was considered unlucky.

this calendar was used just as a solar calendar for purposes of harvesting the crops, and taxation.

the mayans used other calendars as well

the tzolkin was the personal calendar that everyone used. this consisted of 13 tones/intention x 20 sun signs, making it a 260 day calendar

they also used the tun calendar which is their long count.

there is also the www.mayanmajix.com...
which is said to show the entire timeline of creation, dating back 16.4 billion years.

it is this last calendar that ends on 10/28/2011

2012 is propaganda

edit - spelling

[edit on 13-8-2010 by kalisdad]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by insideNSA

Wow. calling me names. Very childish at best.

Please enlighten yourself and learn that your childish comment about "stereo equipment" shows you know nothing about the science of stereology even though I post a definition in my signature.

Instead of throwing a 3 year's tantrum why don't you try and substantiate this claim of yours.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

How convenient that your link makes no effort whatsoever to show that the calendar has the accuracy claimed. How convenient.

So I think your link is worthless. Also, the calculation on that page for the Gregorian calendar is wrong. You knew that? Looks unlikely.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

just curious if you had any insight on my calendar points....

there is alot of discussion about the haab calendar, but little said about any of the other calendars that the mayans used

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 13-8-2010 by kalisdad]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
it is because you use your noggin kalisdad that you bring this up. of course those who say the mayan calendar is inaccurate would bring up the haab, the most inaccurate of the mayan calendars. the other calendars are as accurate as our calendars so they leave that little tidbit out.

Originally posted by kalisdad

just curious if you had any insight on my calendar points....

there is alot of discussion about the haab calendar, but little said about any of the other calendars that the mayans used

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 18-8-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ok stereologist. I pointed out the fallacy of your argument in the earlier post.

Buddy you can't just LIE when you debate. You have to bring up pertinent, cogent counter points. We have already seen you bring up false counter points!

And here you say the link makes no effort whatsover to show that the calendar has the accuracy claimed. Uhhh we know you can't debate, and now you show either you can't read or you have trouble seeing?

did you miss this in the last post?:

The variation for the Gregorian calendar is .0003. The variation for the Mayan Calendar is .0002. Small numbers until you start working with periods of time greater than 100,000 years or so, which is what the Long Count is doing.

Lets not split hairs here buddy. The Mayan calendar is extremely accurate. You might split a hair here or there about something down the the nth decimal. I don't see you providing any links to back your BS also. So after your track record of not telling the truth... u gotta wonder

Also if you have to go through such great lengths you are just proving my point. They created a VERY ACCURATE calendar without any modern tech to do calculations quite impressive indeed.

The Mayan Long Count calendar points to the ending of one age and the beginning of a new age. And there are signs it will be a glorious age.

You might want to stick to playing with your stereo instead of attempting to debate someone with a clearly superior intellect. Just a tip so you don't embarrass yourself anymore.

Originally posted by stereologist

How convenient that your link makes no effort whatsoever to show that the calendar has the accuracy claimed. How convenient.

So I think your link is worthless. Also, the calculation on that page for the Gregorian calendar is wrong. You knew that? Looks unlikely.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The accuracy of the calendar? Really?

Over how many years do you have to average their calendar to show that accuracy? You never showed any of the math to support your claim.

Time to show us or fail.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Actually that's false. Learn what the words mean before using them. The Mayan calendar has a large variance, but is accurate over long periods of time.

I don't see you providing any links to back your BS also.

I don't see you providing any substance whatsoever in your claim about the accuracy of the calendar. You simply have stated a number.

You might want to stick to playing with your stereo instead of attempting to debate someone with a clearly superior intellect. Just a tip so you don't embarrass yourself anymore.

So far you've managed to display little in the way of facts, but a lot of childish rhetoric.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join