It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Doomsayers: Why is this date different to the thousands of failed doomsday dates?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Xtraeme

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice. ... Thanks for noticing.

I figured I'd at least wait a little bit to give you a chance to edit it out.

You throw out numerical nonsense and only those that do not believe in numerology seem to actually bother checking.

I always prefer my insults to compliments in that order.

Re: Numerical nonsense

All I was commenting on is a simple numerical property that grade schoolers usually memorize by 1st or 2nd grade. Any base-10 number that's a multiple of 9 sums to 9. This is a property of the number base. I simply described that process in a bit more detail as it relates to numeric fadic compression.

If that's nonsensical ... well not much that can be said is there?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Right, you still are dodging the question my friend. You claimed that other civilizations and groups had also predicted doomsdates. I went back and looked at your OP, nope still doesn't list any actual groups of people. I do believe the whole Mayan civilization used the calenders to go about their lives and not just one nut job in the area.

Picking and choosing people who have failed does not discredit the Mayans, or other great civilizations who have also predicted this.

Edit:

Unless you count small groups and cults, you really haven't provided anything useful. I could go on and list day after day the trash predictions weather man give out but you will still watch the weather.

Also, 2012 IS NOT ABOUT DOOM! If it is for you, then good luck.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

Sorry. My writing was off. I was not saying you were throwing out nonsense. Oh no. The 3s, and 9s I've known about since high school and could prove that it is true even back then.

Very bad writing on my part.

I purposely made a math mistake to see if anyone would notice.

Then I meant to say "If a person tosses out a nonsensical ...." and I shortened it my head to the word 'you', but did not mean you in particular.

Sorry, for the sloppy writing on my part.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by stereologist]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This entire 2012 nonsense is just like the number 23

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Re-reading what you wrote I can definitely see what you were getting at, dang pronouns!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

That depends on who you talk to.

2012 is supposed to be a pole shift, Nibiru (dwarf sun), geomagnetic reversal, crustal displacement, Planet X (rogue planet), alien invasion, spiritual ascension, Earth being sucked into the super-massive blackhole at the Center of the Galaxy, the return of Quetzalcoatl, etc etc etc

Every interview I've seen or read about with a REAL Mayan has been anti-doomsday and anti-2012.

It doesn't matter if their entire civilization thought something was going to happen, just like it doesn't matter if every Greek citizen believed in Zeus.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Right, you still are dodging the question my friend. You claimed that other civilizations and groups had also predicted doomsdates. I went back and looked at your OP, nope still doesn't list any actual groups of people. I do believe the whole Mayan civilization used the calenders to go about their lives and not just one nut job in the area.

Again, did you actually read the link I provided? Forget it...here it is because you were unable to do it for yourself

According to Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts (1979), an Assyrian clay tablet dating to approximately 2800 BC was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common." This is one of the earliest examples of the perception of moral decay in society being interpreted as a sign of the imminent end.

The Essenes, a sect of Jewish ascetics with apocalyptic beliefs, may have seen the Jewish revolt against the Romans in 66-70 as the final end-time battle

The Donatists, a North African Christian sect headed by Tyconius, looked forward to the world ending in 380

Need anymore examples?

Unless you count small groups and cults, you really haven't provided anything useful. I could go on and list day after day the trash predictions weather man give out but you will still watch the weather.

Was the off topic remark really necessary? And for the record, Im not in the forecasting section

No, its not for me, like the thousands of failed prophecies, its just another date. And while your personal view might be it not being about doom, there are many others that think it is

[edit on 5/8/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA

Originally posted by Mythic Chris
Why do people even give the Mayans credibility?
Have you people forgotten about their culture and beliefs?

We give the Mayans credit because they developed a more accurate calendar then we currently use... and they didn't have any of the technology we have to do it.

There calendar is unbelievably accurate! We still have to add leap seconds and leap years to keep our correct where they didn't have to.

Also their culture and beliefs, the way we view them, is based on a lot of guesswork. A lot of which is now being re-examined and rewritten.

Have you ever been to Chichan Itza? Quite impressive! They designed it so ONLY on the spring equinox I think, the shadow of the sun looks like a serpant which traverses over the pyramid steps. They also gave it acoustic properties where a human clap echos back as a chirping bird. Quite amazing.

There were very intelligent people. Probably more intelligent than you and that's why you should give them a bit of credit.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by insideNSA]

What the hell is wrong with everyone?
This is just cherry picking right now.

"Cherry picking is the act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position"

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

reply to post by lifttheveil

Nibiru was not depicted by any ancients. The ancients only knew of the planets visible to the eye.

Pole shifts are slow events and have not happened in 200Ma, although there is a disputed case from 84Ma.

I have a theory on that. I think that before the Great Flood, the water was suspended above Earth, in a shield of sorts, and this acted as a magnifier for mankind, he could see the planets as if they were really close. This would explain the worship of the planets as Gods. The Ancients knew a lot about space and the stars than we do not know today, have you ever considered why this is? And consider the Wholly Mammoths found frozen solid standing up, with fresh flowers in their bellies, the meat fresh enough to eat? This could only be cause by a sudden event, such as a pole shift. There are sea shells on mountaintops, and cities beneath the seas. Earth has been destroyed before, several times, actually, and it will happen again too. when? No one knows.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
. This would explain the worship of the planets as Gods. The Ancients knew a lot about space and the stars than we do not know today, have you ever considered why this is?

Thats incorrect. They only knew as much as the planets and stars that were visible from Earth. They didnt exactly know what they were (in a scientific context), but they did observe movement and changing brightness. There is no evidence to suggest they knew anything else, and there is no technological relics to prove that either

And consider the Wholly Mammoths found frozen solid standing up, with fresh flowers in their bellies, the meat fresh enough to eat? This could only be cause by a sudden event, such as a pole shift.

Not necessarily. There is no evidence that a complete pole shift caused this. Its a pseudo scientific theory which has nothing to support it. Mammoths were cold environment anaimals, and I fail to see how a pole shift would cause such low temperatures on Earth, that an animal would be frozen in its tracks

There are sea shells on mountaintops, and cities beneath the seas. Earth has been destroyed before, several times, actually, and it will happen again too. when? No one knows.

Reserach continental drift and pangea. The sea shells are evidence of shiftng continental plates (mountains being formed by plates pushing up against each other and inland seas. They are not an indicator that the earth has been destroyed in the past. Can you please explain how you came to that conclusion?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Thats because this event is closely researched due factual planetary events.

But if you look closer to the former events, most of them has happened. Even if you have survived there are many many millions who have lost their lives due prophecy actually being fulfilled.

But this is a very different one, since our universe is REALLY changing within the time limit. Former maye predictions is based on the egyptian making and understanding of the solar system. They were 100% correct and had info we didnt have for about 100 years ago.

Do not underestimate their knowledge, they had some help though,not that am going to go into that subject, but they had the technology to make electricity,lifting stone blocks of 1200 TONS, wich our per today machines CRACK into rubble when trying to do the same. They did not lift 1200 TONS with manpower and rope
try to figure that out. There is also now known in public(know by scientist and archaeologist for many years) that they had a blueprint of making a spacecraft, and fulfilled the job.

These are some of the things you can just try to imagine how works.

Most people per today are ignorant of the past and how things work around us even per today(ignorant=not informed,lesser informed,nothing to do with intelligent)
---

Minneapolis Science Facility

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Ok oz, playing tough, thats alright.

What is your opinion on Nemesis, space cloud, Earth changing, human brain advancements, UFO/"Alien" information coming out from MSM on a daily basis, strange animal behavior, NWO coming down, zodiac going bonkers too.

Surely, the Mayans and others who predicted 2012 had nothing correct. It is just not possible, never mind things they said that are coming to pass are...actually coming to pass. (Hopi prophecy is what I'm really leaning on right now)

Hey lets just forget that all the information that we have on these cultures are from the same people who control the world right now, too. Personally I don't know what more you really need to see that something BIG is happening right around 2012. So help me by understanding what you need to see.

I'll ask one more question from you,can the world sustain itself in its current grave situation for another two years?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
Personally I don't know what more you really need to see that something BIG is happening right around 2012.

Could you give me an example of a time where there wasn't something BIG happening in human history?

There is always something that could erupt into the next World War, or volcanoes going off, earthquakes, droughts, floods. Try telling some poor guy who just lost his family and everything he owns to a flood that it isn't the end of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I am on the 2012 bandwagon and have read most of the prophecies over and over as I'm really into this sort of thing, and if nothing happens then I will have to stomp my foot and swear a lot. But there is always something going on that can spell doom and gloom, or even a transcendence to a higher spiritual plane.

It's all in how you look at it....

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

A very good point and I do agree its hard to judge when there hasn't been something BIG going on. But as far as we know, and believe it or not WE (ATS) do know A LOT, there has never been this much at stake.

Our society has never before been so reliant on what can be toppled in days.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackCash

Mayan
Hopi Indian
Chinese

etc.,

there is also a christian calendar connection with December 21st 2012, also.

who did christ address as he died on the cross?
"abba"

and tab = bookmark, and also what one pulls to open a can of whoop butt.

"abba tab" day.

a = 1, b = 2, b = 2, a = 1, t = 20, a = 1, b = 2
(according to the alpha bet)

abbatab = 12212012 .... aka december 21, 2012

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

i think the only thing glaring is your ignorance.

first off, who said the egyptians built the great pyramid? this timeline should not in anyway be 'egypt-centric' even if they did. the dates listed are dates that were important to and had an impact on the entire world, not important to egypt.

I looked at the referenced page and it does not state how the time line was created.

This was just a reference i provided to introduce the interested poster to the subject. in no way did i say it was a complete proof of concept. I did however mention that if you look into Peter Ls work or even reference D Wilcock, they both go into who this timeline was created.

There is one glaring fallacy in the date list though and that is Exodus.

Exodus was only important to the Jews at the time, not the world. You keep using the logic that this should be Egypt-centric. IT IS NOT. it is WORLD CENTRIC. get that idea out of your head. take a deep breath and have an open mind. and if u r going to make counter points, make them defendable counter points, dont just pull stuff out of your a$$

and you lost me here:

You see the problem is that this provides a date, but there is no mention of large number of Hebrew slaves, a large number of people leaving Egypt, or any evidence of military power lost in any Egyptian records

again these are world changers here... the events above would have ONLY been important to egypt and the jews.

Another glaring omission is the conquest of Egypt by Alexander the great

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by insideNSA

i think the only thing glaring is your ignorance.

This speaks more about you than anything else.

who said the egyptians built the great pyramid?

The Egyptians that built the pyramid say they built it. Even Icke admits that the writing inside of the pyramids makes it definite that the pyramids were built by Egyptians.

The time line is baloney unless there is something else to show.

they both go into who this timeline was created.

I did not realize English was a second language for you. Please tell me what you meant by this.

Exodus was only important to the Jews at the time, not the world. You keep using the logic that this should be Egypt-centric. IT IS NOT. it is WORLD CENTRIC.

This is just an asinine excuse for the ridiculous claims of the time line. These sorts of arguments are rather silly. There is no time line. The fake time line given is not even world centric. That claim is made by someone who does not understand that the world is more than European history.

dont just pull stuff out of your a$$

Your claims are unsubstantiated rubbish that have obviously pulled out of your nether regions. You obviously have no understanding of the pyramids and their history or the records left by the Egyptians. You have a false idea that Exodus happened. There is no archaeological evidence for Exodus other than the claims of the bible. That part of the bible never even mentions the existence of the pyramids. The utter and complete lack of archaeological evidence for Exodus and the the lack of mention of the pyramids makes it clear that the story of Exodus did not happen as claimed.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

Today we can move blocks much heavier than those moved by the Egyptians. The Mayans were okay astronomers given their limited ability to take measurements. They had no instruments better than the human eye. The roughness of their results make it hard to reconcile their observations with most of the correlation functions used to match up their calendars with ours.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I really think the 2012 stuff is all BS, except that it is making a lot of New Age authors a whole lot of money.

But again, I do think our society is more fragile than ever before. If, for example, we had another Great Depression, equal to or greater than the last one, our society would probably collapse. The country was much more rural back than, and the knowledge base was very different.

Instead of knowing how to Google something, or how to use GPS, people during the 30's and early 40's had much different basics. More people back than knew how to make soap, trap, farm, make shoes, make clothes, or many other tasks that very few people that live an urban life today even remotely understand.

Could the Federal Government really take care of Depression-era type homelessness? Wasn't the number during the Great Depression 25% unemployment, or one out of every four Americans? 25% of our current population is over 77 million people!

Even Europe is tremendously more urban than that era, as are many parts of the world. It's the combined URBAN global population that might have a really hard time dealing with 25% unemployment.

How could the Federal Government handle that?

Or what if the 'Big One' happens in California? Or a really big Coronal Mass Ejection or Solar Flare? So many bad things happen all of the time in our history, and is absolutely normal. But, what is not normal, is how plugged in we are to so-called modern society and just how fragile urban life really is.

ATM's and Rocket Ships are awesome. I love modern life. Four wheeling every single summer weekend with my kids rocks my world. But, I really think that a major earth or solar event could knock us back further than we have been knocked back in a while. History shows us many dark periods after fallen Empires.

Will it happen in 2012? No, I think the odds of it happenning are the same as me winning the lotto. Not impossible, but really not probable. And close to impossible to predict.

But it will happen sooner than later, IMO. Our techonology is great, our accomplishments many, but our urban society is like a house made out of straw.

AND, what really worries me to no end, is what if one of those major global events that do happen all of the time, happens in 2012? If we are knocked down a few notches on the society scale, how many freaking cult groups are going to erupt in the face of completely 'Natural' events? A Mad Max type of society with super crazy religious groups. If 2012 does happen, will the people start worshipping Edgar Cayce, St. Malachi, Nostradmus, or the ancient Mayans?

If Mother Earth does have a twitch, or our poltical leaders bring us to a Depression, or some weird and unknown universal experience is going to happen anytime soon, I think it would be better in 2011, or anytime from 2013 on.

People believe anything nowadays. Brain washing through media overload really works, I guess. History channel specials are convincing people all the time that 2012 is real.

That sucks.

Deny Ignorance

[edit on 5-8-2010 by lasertaglover]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

And one more point about 2012 is that it is going to be a freaking Media circus every single time anything remotely large happens in 2012. Think about it, that whole year is going to suck very badly for every one of us skeptics. Basically, a year of hell.

Because every single forest fire, sun spot, tornado, flood, hurricane, solar flare, volcano, earthquake, CME, war, or anything else will all be blown up with its own show, article, or blog about it being the end of the world!

Number One Survival Item I need for 2012....cases (plural) of scotch to not go nuts from hearing every whack job in the world screeming BOOM every time a match gets dropped.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join