It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Doomsayers: Why is this date different to the thousands of failed doomsday dates?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Why do people even give the Mayans credibility?
Have you people forgotten about their culture and beliefs?

Are you just going to ignore their rituals and religion?

I am curious to know what you people are going to do when nothing happens, will you change the date?
Will you move on?

You are all grasping straws here.

ah forget it, I'm just getting out of this board, I'm just going to be called a disinfo agent or a sheeple(you know? Those who blindly follow.)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
2012 is VERY DIFFERENT than all those failed past prediction dates. You can't even begin to compare it with an artificial Y2K date. I am a computer programmer by trade and I tried to tell everyone Y2K was a total non event.

2012 IS NOT the end of the world. It IS HOWEVER the transition from one age to the next. I believe the Mayans said we are leaving the 4th age and entering the 5th.

I too didn't believe much too it just based on the ending of the Mayan Long Count Calender. However that is just one data point. There are several others, alot coming from other ancient civs.

2012 is encoded in the GREAT PYRAMID! It is symbolized by the king's chamber with an empty sarcaphagous which signifies -- NO MORE DEATH for us humans.

Here is an earlier blog I made regarding the subject:

I think that there will definitely be some birth pangs as we enter a new era, but I really don't think it will be anything like the movie 2012. I'd say relax and wait and see what happens. I really believe it will be a super positive change with the old power base causing calamity as they lose power and a new, more harmonious era begins.

i think this is all about the current system of economic slavery finally being exposed and destroyed for the evil that it is. the human mass consciousness knows there is something terribly wrong with the status quo. we are all slaves to the system. a system which taxes you to death and gives you just enough money to survive but not truly get ahead.

only a very very small % of the people on earth, as in 0.0001% are wealthy and the other 99.9998% are poor. the system is currently set up so that the 99.998% work their tails off to support and give even more wealth to the 0.0001 % that control everything.

so the system has you for the benefit of the very few. the best con job TPTB has pulled off is that we are all slaves for them and most don't even realize it!

you see we already have ZPE tech and other wonders of technology that are secret. technologies that if were set free would turn the deserts green and literally everyone could live like millionaires.

TPTB know this but fear this scenario would ever come true. it means a loss of power for them and power is the only way of life these people know.

so i really believe that 2012 is about breaking these shackles of slavery and setting the whole human race free to live in a harmonius eden. i believe that this is just part of it and what may trigger such a change might be some very basic change in physical reality that effects everyone's consciousness. what that change is I think no one really knows. many ancient civs talk about this change but even they don't pinpoint exactly what it will be, just that this time is a very special one.

i didn't really believe there was anything to the 2012 thing when all i knew about it was that the Mayan long count calendar ends in this year.

but then I see that 2012 may actually be encoded in the great pyramid. i would like to hear/see more about this great pyramid/2012 connection. how much validity there is to it. but the basic premise is the great pyramid has a timeline encoded in it that shows all the most important events in human history and supposedly the timeline ends at the kings chamber with an empty sarcaphogaus, which signifies, NO MORE DEATH FOR HUMANKIND!!!!

so after seeing more and more data points that point to something fundamental and extreme happening in 2012 I really truly believe this time will be special. here are the data points I personally know of and support the 2012 theory:

- Mayan Long Count Calendar ends in 2012

- Timeline in the great pyramid ends in the kings chamber in 2012

- Real crop circles, I believe 3 or 4, proven to have been made in less than 15 minutes that indicate something happening with human DNA and the solar system in 2012. The 2012 date is indicated in the crop circles by planetary alignments that only occur in that year.

- Psychics and remote viewers who claim they can't see anything past

- Hopi prophecy indicating the start of a new age around this time

When you add these up you start to really wonder

[edit on 4-8-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythic Chris
Why do people even give the Mayans credibility?
Have you people forgotten about their culture and beliefs?

We give the Mayans credit because they developed a more accurate calendar then we currently use... and they didn't have any of the technology we have to do it.

There calendar is unbelievably accurate! We still have to add leap seconds and leap years to keep our correct where they didn't have to.

Also their culture and beliefs, the way we view them, is based on a lot of guesswork. A lot of which is now being re-examined and rewritten.

Have you ever been to Chichan Itza? Quite impressive! They designed it so ONLY on the spring equinox I think, the shadow of the sun looks like a serpant which traverses over the pyramid steps. They also gave it acoustic properties where a human clap echos back as a chirping bird. Quite amazing.

There were very intelligent people. Probably more intelligent than you and that's why you should give them a bit of credit.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by JackCash

Numerous cultures and religions also predicted that 1000, 2000 and a few other dates, would also result in the end of the world. They werent correct on those either

I find it funny through your extensive OP you don't mention any actual civilizations or groups. Then in the quoted above, you don't actually provide any backing to your claim

Why is this date different? Never before has so much been at stake, never before have WE known as much about everything as we do.

Honestly do you just not want to accept that they were at least really damn close about predicting this? You can dodge it all you want but look at: Nemesis, NWO falling apart (end of an age of oppression), Earth needing to be saved by technologies that are not in reach, children with these ridiculous physic powers.

Yeah...nothing is happening...

give me a break

Its all about the Apocalypse, the UNVEILING!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

You left out Pat Robertson's date of 1982... and yet that guy is still on TV and still trusted by thousands of fundamentalists...

In late 1976, Robertson predicted that the end of the world was coming in October or November 1982. In a May 1980 broadcast of The 700 Club he stated, "I guarantee you by the end of 1982 there is going to be a judgment on the world."

Source

Great post. The difference between those and 2012 is that 2012 is approaching during the age of the internet. Oh sure there was an internet in 2000 but it wasn't nearly as developed as it is now. Now there is so much pseudoscience and new age nonsense about 2012 and other stuff crowding the web that things like 2012 can spread like wild-fire and make people rich.

I'm already trying to cash in on the Doomsday after 2012, I'm thinking it will be 2020 next but I might be wrong. Now I just have to find at least one ancient culture that ALMOST supports my theory and pen a pseudoscience "non-fiction" book and voila money, money, money by the pound.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

You do realize that "new-age" nonsense is based off of ancient knowledge right? Also lets not forget that many of the "influential" scientists considered themselves mystics and subscribed to a very "neg agey" belief.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by insideNSA

There calendar is unbelievably accurate! We still have to add leap seconds and leap years to keep our correct where they didn't have to.

That's not true at all. Their calendar was not accurate, nor were their astronomical observations that accurate. The latter was due to the limited instruments they had available to them.

They used what amounts to the Julian calendar which we replaced since it was inaccurate. You might want to look up leap seconds to understand why they are added. Hint. They are not added to the calendar.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You surprised me there with the claim that 2012 is encoded in the Great Pyramid. Please tell us more about that.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
I find it funny through your extensive OP you don't mention any actual civilizations or groups. Then in the quoted above, you don't actually provide any backing to your claim

Did you actually read the link I provided ion the OP?

How about you go back and read it and you will find all sorts of different people made prophecies which failed to eventuate

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

You surprised me there with the claim that 2012 is encoded in the Great Pyramid. Please tell us more about that.

I have a feeling insideNSA is referring to Scott Creighton's thread, Giza Pyramids Indicate 2012. Interesting? Sure. Conclusive? No.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Great Pyramid and 2012 Connection

Actually it was Peter Lemesurier who found this timeline. One egyptian inch = 1 year. The timeline marks major events in human history and ends in 2012.

Interestingly Lemesurier didn't think that so many important events could be so close together at the end of the time line. So I think he deviated from the 1 inch per year at the end. But think about the Timewave O theory where things DO SPEED UP. Very interesting. It seems to fit.
David Wilcock, as much as I don't like him, goes into this.

I never heard of the Scott whoever the poster above is talking about. But if he has a take on this then I'd like to see it.

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by kyle43

Did you actually read the link I provided ion the OP?

How about you go back and read it and you will find all sorts of different people made prophecies which failed to eventuate

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Ancient "knowledge", that's a good one

What you mean is ancient superstition, used primarily as a way to con people out of money or to gain power over them (as is the case with cults).

Yeah, some scientists did take an interest in mysticism, Isaac Newton was an alchemist, that doesn't add validity to alchemy or make his laws of motion any less brilliant. Simply because an intelligent mind can be seduced by pseudoscience and mysticism doesn't lend it any credence.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

I was scanning through the thread and it is numerology done with geometry. It seems rather contrived at best. The sinking of Atlantis date is a bit reworked. Plato gives it as 9000 before the present, which was 4th century BC. So what's 300 or so years when numbers need to be fudged.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Seems we hold a fairly similar opinion.
Amusingly enough just yesterday I posted this video,

to help better explain to several friends the difference between math and numerology. Kind of appropriate for this thread.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

I recognized the movie right off the bat. That was a fun watch.

I am always amazed by the chain letters sent to me that have trivial arithmetic where they ask you to do ridiculous things like input your age, last digit of your SS#, and the number of beers you drank this week and then you get some pointless result which is claimed to be amazing.

It's really, really sad when the same is done with other numbers and the claim is that it portends the future, or the NY subway system is a signal to aliens, or the volcanoes of Earth are a form of braille used by aliens to send intergalactic messages.

Or just maybe 2+0+1+2 = 4 is the number of sides to a pyramid. A pointless observation isn't it?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

haha...sounds like somebodys been burned before. dont try to put young people down because you are old and miserable...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I don't think the 2012 predictions are any more valid or likely to occur than any other predictions.
With the internet now though, it is possible to perpetuate any sort of hysteria indefinitely.
I think that is a big part of it. People just don't let the idea die.

It also seems seductive to some people--in that belief in the 2012 craze is put forth as something that "awakened" or "wise" people understand. Those that don't subscribe to this thinking are called "blind" or "sheeple." The 2012'ers kind of seem to get a sense of superiority out of it.

In truth though, the 2012'ers are the ones that are jumping on a bandwagon and following these illogical predictions blindly. They are actually what they accuse others of.

Another reason I think is that the narcissism of many today, who can tweet the most insignificant and mundane details of their life to the world, makes them assume any and every past prediction and prophesy MUST be about them.

I made a thread on that last idea here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Xtraeme

I recognized the movie right off the bat. That was a fun watch.

It's definitely one of my faves.

I am always amazed by the chain letters sent to me that have trivial arithmetic where they ask you to do ridiculous things like input your age, last digit of your SS#, and the number of beers you drank this week and then you get some pointless result which is claimed to be amazing.

It's really, really sad when the same is done with other numbers and the claim is that it portends the future ... Or just maybe 2+0+1+2 = 4 is the number of sides to a pyramid. A pointless observation isn't it?

Actually 2+0+1+2 = 5.
Though I understand what you're getting at. However there is value to using a fadic scheme to compress a number down to a single digit inside a given number base. For instance in base-10 there's information gained knowing that any number that sums to 3, 6, or 9 will be divisible by these cardinal numbers. For instance 42 using fadic math has a congruence relation to 6 (i.e. 4+2). This is useful information because 6*7 = 42. Similarly any number that sums to 3 or 9, using its integer parts, that's even will be divisible by 6 in base-10.

So through this simple summing of the components of an integer we learn something about the integer's factors. This technique doesn't work regularly for 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8. However in flipping to a base-9 system then 8 would be compressible, exposing larger numbers that use 8 as an integer factor. Likewise in switching to base-8 (octal), digits that sum to 7 would then indicate integer factors of 7.

So there are qualities that are meaningful, it's just that people who employ numerology almost never exercise clear logic explaining how or why the operation they're performing demonstrates significant correlation or interconnection between the two objects.

They just expect by virtue of similitude there's deep correspondence, when in reality it's showing a rather tangential connection with usually, at best, 2 sigma variance.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice. You throw out numerical nonsense and only those that do not believe in numerology seem to actually bother checking.

Thanks for noticing.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I looked at the referenced page and it does not state how the time line was created. There is one glaring fallacy in the date list though and that is Exodus.

1453 (30th March): Inception of new upward path — Jewish exodus from Egypt.

You see the problem is that this provides a date, but there is no mention of large number of Hebrew slaves, a large number of people leaving Egypt, or any evidence of military power lost in any Egyptian records. There is nothing at all and yet there is the claim that there is a prediction in an unexplained code hidden in the GP. That's very odd.

Another glaring omission is the conquest of Egypt by Alexander the great. Looks like important Egyptian historical dates are not included. In fact, there appears to be a European slant to all of the dates. Makes you think that the authors were making up stuff as they went along.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join