It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie government backing away on censorship plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

www.techeye.net

The censorhip-mad Australian government has decided that the last thing it wants is to put its bizarre internet censorship plans to the great unwashed before the elections.

The Labour government has two plans on the table which will involve censoring the world wide wibble. The first is a filtering plan which means that Australians will not see anything on the net that the government does not want them to see. The other is a top secret plan to snoop on Australians' web surfing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Election-time in Australia, and just to show how absolutely disconnected they are from their 'constituency' - just like most politicians everywhere..., their strategy is to wait until after the election to further the cause of oppressive control.

That way they can pretend it's "not an issue" by simply ignoring it. Sound familiar? It ought to.

www.techeye.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I wouldn't call the govt. "censorship mad"... the current internet filtering policy is in itself not effective and rather weak. If they wanted true censorship there would be much more effective ways of going about it. In fact I welcome the introduction of the current plan... that way it burns to ashes quicker and we can put it out of the way.

No surprise that its become a non issue before the election though.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

www.techeye.net

The first is a filtering plan which means that Australians will not see anything on the net that the government does not want them to see.

Personally, the whole concept of a filter sucks. Filtering should be the responsibility of parents, and supervision of their children while on the internet seems like too much of a big ask. So the rest of Australia must suffer for lazy parenting and neo conservative bible thumpers (family first party) who would rather lump their responsibilities and/or ideologies upon everyone else.

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think they should be flogged for even daring to breath word about such a retarded idea. But that's just me.

I hope the Aussie voters see through their scam, though, and not vote for them at all this time around.

new topics

top topics

join