It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Navy's next-generation destroyer (photos)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Thanks for embedding the pictures.

To me the one with the 2 workstations (bridge or CIC?) reminds me a little of the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Maybe THAT wasn't so far-fetched after all.

You know I was thinking the exact same thing but was maybe a little afraid to reveal I love Star Trek lol

Korg.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Interesting ship. Its unlikely to be the destroyer of the future though as its too expensive and they only plan to build three.

"On 6 April 2009, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced that DoD's proposed 2010 budget will end the DDG-1000 program at a maximum of three ships.[10] Also in April, the Pentagon awarded a fixed-price contract with General Dynamics to build the three destroyers, replacing a cost-plus-fee contract that had been awarded to Northrop Grumman. The first destroyer is expected to cost around $3.5 billion, the second around $3.5 billion, and the third less than that.[20]"

en.wikipedia.org...

Thats attack submarine prices. I expect the technologies will carry forward to a simpler cheaper destroyer.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
did any one notice the areas that they were comparing the two diff classes of destroyers "safe zones" one was represented by a map of iran Mideast coast line and south Korea north Korea etc definatly shows they think there gonna be used in that area good post and as always pictures are a bonus!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Very stealthy, FROM RADAR.
But who is going after a ship with radar.
Well I suppose initial aircraft radar but infrared is used on air
to ship missiles and the ship is a big infrared target.
Unless we are not told of an infrared defense like refrigerated walls.
Not used perhaps is the Tesla wave that might bounce off
even radar targets.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join