It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corn byproduct fructose literally fuels cancer cell growth, study finds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Corn byproduct fructose literally fuels cancer cell growth, study finds

rawstory.com

Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest can
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a118a8e2852.jpg[/atsimg]

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation," Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We knew that it was bad for us, however now we know that it fuels cancer, which can explain the extremely high cancer rates in the American public. After all, it is the US who subsidizes the farming of corn to the extreme. these days, fructose corn syrup is almost in everything,

Fructose is used in foods as a sweetner and since corn can be dried and stored, it is traded as a commodity, thus making it far cheeper than other forms of sugar, ultimately making it the sweetner of choice for mega-corporations who operate food factories.

With all that we know, and all that we don't know about the harms of processed foods being sold and bought in our grocery stores, it's amazing that people still put this poison on their dining room tables.

I often hear the excuse that it is cheaper and so people don't really have a choice but I don't really buy that excuse. Some things you can't just skimp on and food is one of them. If you have to, make cut-backs somewhere else, seeing how food is one of the basic staples of life. Nobody is saying that it will be easy, but it certainly is necessary.

If all of the other warnings about processed foods haven't scared people away from it yet, I hope this report will. How more buntly can it be said?

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASEEEEEEEE~~~~

Would the FDA now put a ban on Fructose? OH PLEASE DOOOO~~

Can't find many manufactured foods without it and definitely don't want it in my system. I actually avoid it sometimes because it isn't as good as natural sugars.

So yes, please remove this stain from the food industry.
--

Now only if the whole "milk causes health problems" issue would come to light to the major public...

[edit on 8/4/2010 by TheBloodRed]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

airspoon

How does the modified product 'Splenda' fit into this then..?
Would it have the same effect ?

I used to work for J&J who own McNeil foods, the guys who sell Splenda and from memory (i was in medical devices) they have 'altered' the moelecular structure of sugar so that the body doesn't recognise it as a sugar..

Sucralose (Splenda®)
Made by replacing three hydroxyl groups with chlorine. The resulting molecule is not recognized as sugar by the body and as such, is not digested. Some refer to Sucralose as Chlorinated Sugar. Sucralose does not occur in nature.

Just wondering

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

If it is not absorbed into the body then it should be okay right? Seems to me that chlorinated sugar is expelled from the body with other unused sugars and never gets taken in. :/

I always call Splenda the sugar without the sugar effect, so I would be wholly shocked if I learned it gets taken into the system instead of being regularly expelled.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by TheBloodRed]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Fructose is in a lot more than just corn syrup, folks.

Fructose

Fructose or Fruit Sugar(also levulose or laevulose) is a simple monosaccharide found in many foods and is one of the three important dietary monosaccharides along with glucose and galactose. The organic fructose molecule was first discovered by Augustin-Pierre Dubrunfaut in 1847. Fructose is a white solid that dissolves in water – it is the most water-soluble of all the sugars. Honey, tree fruits, berries, melons, and some root vegetables contain significant amounts of molecular fructose, usually in combination with glucose, stored in the form of sucrose. About 240,000 tonnes of crystalline fructose are produced annually.

Fructose is a component of sucrose. Sucrose is a disaccharide derived from the condensation of glucose and fructose. Fructose is derived from the digestion of table sugar (sucrose).

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
All sugar fuels cancer cell growth.

Check Gerson therapy.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
High fructose corn syrup is processed differently by the liver than sucrose.

The science takes about an hour to explain and there's a video on this out there somewhere.

Sucrose is approximately 80-85% burned as energy immediately by the body as long as there is no overeating. About 10% is processed by the liver and then is available as glycogen or turned to fat. It has a low impact on the liver.

High fructose corn syrup is different. Approximately 75% of the fructose is immediately processed by the liver and turned to fat. This process is damaging to the liver as well.

Essentially, a high fructose corn syrup drink has the same physical impact on the liver as an alcohol drink such as beer wine or hard liquor.

You don't get a buzz because part of the alcohol process affects the brain but HFCS fully impacts the liver.

The fructose from fruit is not as hard on the liver because of some different chemistry. As long as you don't overdo it on the fruit juces too much then fruit is ok.

I'm trying to find the video I got this info from.

Corn syrup is bad ..Mmmkaay?

Oh yeah, corn fed farmed fish have higher cholesterol levels than bacon. Especially Tilapia.

As far as the Splenda and other artificial sweeteners go, the sweet taste is a signal to the body that a big dose of sugar is on the way. This starts the production of insulin that then reduces the blood sugar levels too much. This makes you tired and guess what? Yep, hungry and or thirsty. So you have another diet drink and spike your insulin again.

Ultimately, artificial sweeteners contribute to the widespread insulin resistance that is a precursor to adult onset diabetes.

You are better off with real sugar and reasonable eating habits.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Not really surprising at all to me thanks to Taubes book.

Pick up Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and give that tome a read. Fascinating and scary. (A difficult read for the layman unfortunately... he reviews 150 of dietary research).

There is a section in there discussing digestive cancers and it has been known for some time that these types of tumors are literally covered in insulin receptors (insulin being a growth hormone). So anything that spikes insulin levels has the potential to grow the tumor. That clearly includes sucrose, not just fructose. It also includes anything made from flour.

The book makes a compelling case that the diseases of humanity (diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc.) can be pretty clearly linked to the introduction of sugar and flour into the diet. The most recent epidemic (the past 30 years) is also highly correlated to the massive increase in the addition of HFCS in processed foods.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Fructose is in a lot more than just corn syrup, folks.

Fructose

Fructose or Fruit Sugar(also levulose or laevulose) is a simple monosaccharide found in many foods and is one of the three important dietary monosaccharides along with glucose and galactose. The organic fructose molecule was first discovered by Augustin-Pierre Dubrunfaut in 1847. Fructose is a white solid that dissolves in water – it is the most water-soluble of all the sugars. Honey, tree fruits, berries, melons, and some root vegetables contain significant amounts of molecular fructose, usually in combination with glucose, stored in the form of sucrose. About 240,000 tonnes of crystalline fructose are produced annually.

Fructose is a component of sucrose. Sucrose is a disaccharide derived from the condensation of glucose and fructose. Fructose is derived from the digestion of table sugar (sucrose).

So if all of these foodstuffs fuel cancer growth, what should someone with cancer be eating?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I don't really know and it looks like a few people have a much better answer than I can give. With that being said, if it reacts differently in the body, I would think that it would also have different risks and affects. However, this doesn't mean that it isn't dangerous or unhealthy. For those that are diabetic and can't tolerate natural sugars or have to regulate sugars, I'm not so sure what a solution would be, though I would assume that diabetes started from the processed foods to begin with, so going on a natural (real) food diet, may just help with people who suffer from diabetes.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Normally I don't engage in "me too" posting; but because it bears repeating...

It is NOT the fructose in apples and corn and other vegetable matter that presents the problem...

It's HFCS High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup - which the industry adopted because its MORE PROFITABLE for them to use that than natural sugars.

Biochemically, it is a different molecule which lends itself to the metabolic process MUCH differently than the natural fructose form.

As usual, it's the chemical industry's "business-friendly" solution that exacerbated the perils of our weakness for sweetness.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Maxmars]

I call your attention to the careful wording of "Corn byproducts" rather than just sugar or corn sugar.

Soon the Codex Alimentarium will be brought to bear in this situation... I anticipate a counter-intuitive mandate to be promulgated down from on high....

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
The fructose from fruit is not as hard on the liver because of some different chemistry. As long as you don't overdo it on the fruit juces too much then fruit is ok.

That's a problem that many people ignore, anything in excess may be harmful, even if it's "natural".

My grandmother got diabetes after a fruit-based diet, so she got too much fructose for her system.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I am sure we would find that there are many more processed substances which we consume and are exposed to that directly fuel cancer cell growth. I think it's funny that this is just coming out widely now.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
www.agron.iastate.edu...

"Evidence suggests that cultivated corn arose through natural crossings, perhaps first with gamagrass to yield teosinte and then possibly with back­crossing of teosinte to primitive maize to produce modern races. There are numerous theories as to the ancestors of modern corn and many scientific articles and books have been written on the subject. Corn is perhaps the most completely domesticated of all field crops. Its perpetuation for centuries has depended wholly on the care of man. It could not have existed as a wild plant in its present form."

I'm beginning to think that corn is something to be avoided possibly altogether.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Romans 10:9]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romans 10:9
I'm beginning to think that corn is something to be avoided possibly altogether.

This is also what I am now thinking, see this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are destroying my lovely foods, I used to love boiling Corn and then spreading tamarind chutney all of over.

Apparently it's time to say bye bye to Corn, because not only what this thead is about but also because most Corns now are genetically engineered.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Apparently it's time to say bye bye to Corn, because not only what this thead is about but also because most Corns now are genetically engineered.

Not really,
Corn and beans make a complete protein. Corn was used as a staple for many native tribes for centuries. Corn is a healthy and nutritious food as long as it is reasonably consumed.

The genmod issue is a problem but there are plenty of healthy heirloom and hybrid corns out there that are very good for you.

The big problem comes when they try to use monoculture and chemistry as a one size fits all solution designed to increase profits instead of being healthy. Stay away from processed stuff and go for the real article.

Man,
How great is hot roasted corn on the cob with real butter and sea salt?

Can't give that up.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yeah, I agree. Corn, or at least the yellow corn that we know today, has been crossbred into existence, away from the maize grasses that the Native Americans sustained themselves on. If I remember correctly, Maize wasn't naturally yellow, rather it was multi-colored but through generations of breeding corn for maximum yeild/benefit, it has become what it is today. This isn't even mentioning that at least 80% of the corn grown in the US, is genetically modified.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I suppose now we have to worry about GMO corn syrup.

They are making the stuff bad for us out of monster corn, and the Carlisle group is buying up all the vitamins.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I was looking to see if anyone has mentioned genetically modified corn. My question is this: Have they compared the corn syrup from the genetically modified against non-tampered-with-varieties, in terms of this new finding? My guess is NO... Monsanto would never let that study happen!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join