It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unnoticed: Obama drops 2009 pledge to withdraw combat troops from Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Unnoticed: Obama drops 2009 pledge to withdraw combat troops from Iraq

rawstory.com

WASHINGTON, Aug 3, 2010 (IPS) - Seventeen months after President Barack Obama pledged to withdraw all combat brigades from Iraq by Sep. 1, 2010, he quietly abandoned that pledge Monday, admitting implicitly that such combat brigades would remain until the end of 2011.

Obama declared in a speech to disabled U.S. veterans in Atlanta that "America's combat mission in Iraq" would end by the end of August, to be replaced by a mission of "supporting and training Iraqi security forces".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

That statement was in line with the pledge he had made on Feb. 27, 2009, when he said, "Let me say this as plainly as I can: by Aug. 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, it turns out that this too was a "fib" by Obama, just like almost everything else, though most other "promises" turned into flat-out lies.

I can remember when he was on the stump, he promised that the first thing he would do is bring all of our troops home from Iraq and then famously stated, "You can take that to the bank".

After the election, he just tried to fool the American people by using a play on words to decieve us/them into thinking that he was holding true to his promise by simply ordering a few troops home, then renaming the mission in Iraq, though nothing even close to ending the war or "bringing our troops home" and it certainly wasn't the first thing he did either.

One lie after another. George W. Obama has offered absolutely no change to the American people and the scary or rather sad thing is, a lot of people think they got the change promised.

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

All true and lets not forget the number of contractors (Mercenaries) over there..
Has the number of Taxpayer Funded fighters gone down??

I doubt it...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
hmm thats odd

on my way home from work this morning i swear i read something in the free bus transit paper(24 or metro, for anyone in canada) about obama withdrawing troops by aug 31st

Edit: Couldn't find the article i read but i found this one HERE that say that they are slowly withdrawing troops but will keep 50,000 there, compared to 170,000 in 2007

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Kr0nZ]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Funny, I swore I read somewhere that congress just approved more billions of dollars for War... Wonder where thats going..

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

I can only assume that it is mostly going to the various entities within the MIC (Mil-Ind-Com), or even corrupted Iraqi and Afghani officials, though there really won't be that big of a troop reduction when and if it does happen. Rather, a small number of troops will be sent home, giving the American people a "show", while the remaining troops and their mission will be renamed to something that sounds a little better, although the mission and troops will ultimately remain the same. Obama is famous for that kind of foolery and the American public is famous for eating it all up, then asking for more.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I knew this would be another broken promise. 16 months since he took office would be May 2010, maybe June if we give him a month to get situated. But now it's August, and although the news is saying troops will be coming home by the end of the month, it will be more lies.

Here, let me recap for anyone who doesn't have access to the news or who hasn't been paying attention:

June 2010: troops to come home by the end of the month

July 2010: troops to come home by the end of the month

August 2010: last month of Iraq war

September 2010: troops to come home by the end of the month

It's basically the same script BP is using

June 2010: top kill will stop oil leak

July 2010: project overkill expected to stop oil leak

August 2010: operation super death kill guaranteed to stop oil leak

September 2010: top kill expected to bring troops home by the end of the month/stop oil leak.

The war and the oil leak, two things that have strangely a lot in common.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed the almost complete media blackout of the war in Iraq? It would seem that TPTB want us to focus off of the war. The blackout seemed to have started as soon as Obama came into office.

This is making people think that the fighting is over, while our heroes are still fighting and dying over there. If this "blackout" doesn't scream media collusion with TPTB, then I don't what does.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Anyone who believes what they say, deserves everything they get.

If someone in day to day life lies to you, what happens to your attitude towards what they say?

For all my life people in power have lied. I do not participate in any way, in providing them with any mandate for what they do. I will never vote. The system itelf is rigged. You can not fix anything from within this system. The reason it exists is to manage and control.

Why are people shocked and surprized?

Why do people want to vote for anyone?

Ron Paul (or anyone close) will never be allowed to take power.

In the past I got frustrated with the general population and their attitutude. We are mostly selfish. All people want is shelter, food and money for distractions and entertainments. We want this at ANY cost. Now I do not get frustrated because I do not have any expectations of people. I understand what 'we' as a people are, utterly stupified and selfish.

People in general do not (and never have) wanted what is right, moral, correct, humane etc..etc... We want a good lifestyle, that is all.

So if one believes anything politicians or TPTB say, they are either willfully ignorant or borderline idiots of the highest order. Either way, people will not act to change anything; not until the stores are empty of bread. When this happens, people who did not care, did not act, will stand around in groups and say 'I said this would happen' and 'I always knew this would happen'. Fools with egos.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Has anyone noticed the almost complete media blackout of the war in Iraq? It would seem that TPTB want us to focus off of the war. The blackout seemed to have started as soon as Obama came into office.

This is making people think that the fighting is over, while our heroes are still fighting and dying over there. If this "blackout" doesn't scream media collusion with TPTB, then I don't what does.

--airspoon

Come to think of it, just about every US/NATO aggression has been blacked out (Iraq, Gaza, Somalia, SK/NK et al), but they have no problem publicly boasting about their overinflated war budget. These days I classify MSM as fiction and story-time entertainment. Any vital issues regarding the safety or education of the public is blank. Only the glorification of their agenda is apparent now. It's a sad state of affairs indeed.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

--airspoon

It would be funny if it weren’t so sad and pathetic. If an Israeli soldier twists an ankle walking anywhere near Gaza the West Bank, Jerusalem or Lebanon its headline news for days, but getting details of what’s going on with our own nation’s troops in Iraq and Afghanistan is nearly impossible.

It seems to me that basically the Media and the Government are playing what’s akin to a Carnival Shell Game with the nations of the Middle East and Asia. One minute the ball is under Iraq, then the next minute Afghanistan, then the next minute Iran with the Media and Government wanting to divert our attention from one to the next as it suits those agendas.

Don’t look at this, look at that! Don’t look at that, look at this.

What’s really amazing is how effective it is, even here on ATS amongst the ‘awake’ crowd, the same lies they used on Iraq, they use on Iran, and people still fall for it and clamor for something to be done.

It’s almost as if many of us are the proverbial child who keeps sticking their hand into the flame of the burning stove and saying ‘are you sure it burns’ ouch!

The government knows as long as they feed us drama and spectacle that the majority of us will get caught up in it and mesmerized by it, and pay no attention or thought to anything else, as long as the drama and spectacle they are peddling is entertaining, and engrossing.

What a world. Who would have thought humanities number one expenditure and effort would simply go into killing one another at all and any costs?

[edit on 4/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

Come to think of it, just about every US/NATO aggression has been blacked out (Iraq, Gaza, Somalia, SK/NK et al),

Although I agree with you, technically, the operations in and against Gaza aren't NATO operations, nor are they NATO sanctioned. Even when the US is involved, such as the case with MFO (Multinationale Force and Observers). In fact, MFO is the only non-NATO sanctioned operation that the US Army takes part in.

I don't mean to nitpick, but accuracy is is a little habit of mine.

--airspoon

top topics

join