It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Told by police that being outside at night is probable cause to pull me over and question/weapons ch

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I'll debate semantics with you...as per the OP the reason for the stop was
"riding on the sidewalk." Which turned out to be invalid. You can't go back
after the fact and insert a valid reason.

Anyway, Jean Paul is dead on correct. But the problem with asserting
yourself in this way is it can get you arrested. Still, more people need to
assert their rights or else we will end up in a police state.

To believe that random ID checks are a good thing goes against the
principles of liberty and freedom that your countrymen have
fought and died protecting. You disgrace them by giving up so easily.

Freedom and liberty have a cost. It is personal diligence.
Don't be so lazy. You shame your forefathers.....

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

yes it is legal for the police to stop him on his bicycle since he was breaking CA laws when the stop occurred. He should consider himself lucky he did not get multiple citations.

What CA law was he breaking Boondock? Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk? I would check out the state and local ordinances on that before making such a bold claim:

Sidewalk Riding (LAMC 56.15) Prohibits the riding of bicycles (or other human power devices) on sidewalks (bikeways or boardwalks) with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. Disallows the riding of bicycles on Ocean Front Walk in Venice.

www.bicyclela.org...

www.bikelink.com...

CA State Law requires ALL bicycles to have a light on it after dark.

On the highway, the O.P. was not on the highway.

d) Every bicycle operated upon any highway during darkness shall be equipped with the following:

www.bikelink.com...

Under the International Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (1968) of the United Nations, a bicycle is a vehicle.

The Vienna Convention does not have jurisdiction over the O.P. Are you serious with that? Is the same Boondock writing this, that I have come to know and love?

A bicycle license is required by the California Vehicle Code §39002

Here is what that ordinance states:

License Requirement. VC 39002 a) A city or county may adopt a bicycle licensing ordinance or resolution providing that no resident shall operate any bicycle on any street, road, highway, or other public property within the city of county, unless such bicycle is licensed in accordance with this division.

So, in order for this regulation to have any validity we must turn to the Los Angeles City Municipal Code, which states:

Bicycle Licenses Required (LAMC 26.01) Ordinance repealed on June 2, 2009. Bicycle licenses are no longer required in the City of Los Angeles. Please carry identification when riding a bicycle and be sure children have identification as well in the form of an identification bracelet, sticker in their helmet, or bicycle registration with a private firm. In addition there are various ways of identifying your bicycle in the event it is stolen, photos and making a note of the serial number as well as including an identifier in the seat tube of the bicycle.

So, I turned to this ordinance because it is where I live, and do not know where the O.P. lives, but clearly in L.A. there is no requirement for licensing.

California state law requires all bicyclists under the age of 18 to wear a bike helmet while riding on all streets, bikeways, public paths, and trails (§21212 VC).

Where are you getting that the O.P. is under 18 years old? I haven't read anywhere where he mentioned his age.

So yes, he was breaking the law which gave the officers plenty of reasons to stop him. Did he have a bicycle license? Did he have a bicycle light? Was he wearing a helmet if under 18?? The only way to know if he was 18 was to stop and ask !!!

No he was not breaking the law, and I have just demonstrated so! It is utter nonsense to say that the police officer had jurisdiction just because he wasn't wearing a helmet. There was no law being broken, and it is not enough for a police officer to say that they couldn't know a persons age until they pull them over. That is illegal. It is unconstitutional.

You wanna debate symantecs ???

Do you mean semantics? Semantics have no place in law, and it is the letter of the law that we all go by, my friend.

Let me re-itterate I would have stopped him too. And the officers had a right also. Whether they wrote him a ticket is irrelevant.

Had you done so, you would have illegally detained the O.P. just as the police officers had, and that my friend is a crime.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Are the police really allowed to do this and just constantly pull me over every time I dare go outside at night?

No, the police are not allowed to harass you, and that is what they are doing. First thing, get their names and badge numbers and go to the Chief of Police, and lodge a hand written complaint. Ask the Chief for the name and phone number of the officer's Surety Bond holder, to be a policeman and carry a gun you have to have one. Next, go to the Civilian Review board and give them a copy of the complaint. Do, this, and they will stop it. also, I would bet money neither of them has a $250,000 Surety Bond, you can get them fired if you push it to say, the Attorney General of your state.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
reply to post by sremmos

I'm glad. Imagine what it would be like if you were arrested and detained every night while police verified your citizenship.

After all that's been said about the AZ law, YOU are still ignorant of what its provisions are. Imagine that, another lib who hasn't even read the law they are complaining about.

The AZ law does NOT allow police to stop people for the purpose of verifying their citizenship. It ONLY allows police to verify citizenship IF they have stopped a person for SOME OTHER REASON. Now a ruling by the Virginia Attorney General allows police there to do the same.

Please educate yourself before attempting to deflect any other threads with your (willful?) misrepresentations.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

reply to post by sremmos

I'm glad. Imagine what it would be like if you were arrested and detained every night while police verified your citizenship.

Now that would get annoying, I must say.

2nd Line!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

reply to post by sremmos

After all that's been said about the AZ law, YOU are still ignorant of what its provisions are. Imagine that, another lib who hasn't even read the law they are complaining about.

The AZ law does NOT allow police to stop people for the purpose of verifying their citizenship. It ONLY allows police to verify citizenship IF they have stopped a person for SOME OTHER REASON. Now a ruling by the Virginia Attorney General allows police there to do the same.

Please educate yourself before attempting to deflect any other threads with your (willful?) misrepresentations.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by centurion1211]

The person in this situation was already being stopped for probable cause which is more then enough reason for the police in the state of AZ if that rotten bill was in effect, to check his citizenship as well. Lets add 15 mins every night to your routine police questioning verifing that citizenship shall we? Did you even read the thread man?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Procession101]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Procession101]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Whether we like it or not, police profile. I live in a fairly exclusive gated community. My wife is an awful driver, blows through stop signs, doesn't seem to know basic traffic laws, but is never stopped, this despite the fact that sherrif deputies keep a large presence in our area to make certain nothing happens.
I am middle aged, always in a suit, but drive a Mustang GT (There are only two kinds of cars. Pony cars and cars for secretaries). I'd just about have to douse the car in gasoline and light it on fire to get pulled over.
My boys? Differnt story. One drives a Mitsubishi pick up, the other a Firebird. They can't make it to the front gate without a visit from the sherrif. "You boys live here? I pulled you over because you failed to use your turn signal. Mind if I search your car?"
I gave each a stack of business cards to hand to the officers. On the back I've written "Questions. 555-5555. Please quit pulling over my kids."

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What do you expect.

Liberal Marxists vote for a Marxist government. When they get a Marxist government, they try to act surprised.

What's to be surprised about? This is what you protest in the streets for. You are only getting what you asked for.

You asked for a White House that would trample on the Constitution. You get your Constitutional Righst trampled. It's your wish fulfillment. Like a Kamikaze pilot's wish fulfillment.

Doublespeak mentality. You can't explain it to a Marxist.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i'm older-sort of crippled up- all i do every afternoon is go poke in the goodwill and get
some beers at the store. short trip. bike ride past the park , church..all well patrolled..
into the parking lot past the mobile security guy, past the city cop stationed at the door of the supermarket.. i'm on camera. transactions recorded. on the way home a helicopter goes over. -from point a to point b - they got me covered.
in the Homeland! always vigilant against terrorism.
a bicycle is one potential pedal powered pipe bomb-
On the other hand i suppose if i were to have a problem as
simple as tipping over and cracking my skull they'd help me out.
the city cops guarding the pharmacy and such.
no tellin when some workplace violence will erupt these days.
i suppose the parkin lot guy gives the panhandlers the brush off .
keeps them from makin off with the carts.
and the real crazy aint even started yet.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

Could be the problem stems back to that so many terrorist who look like Mexicans are coming across the border on bicycles.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred call
reply to post by p51mustang

Could be the problem stems back to that so many terrorist who look like Mexicans are coming across the border on bicycles.

Oh please please please tell me you are serious...that would be awesome.

I just want to be able to know for sure that there is someone out there that really think terrorists disguised as Mexicans are crossing the border on bicycles.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Ultralights are coming into vogue now.
.2 drones have been launched in az -so far.
with a car bombing and more heads rolling around than iraq
I'd be calling that a war zone. if the zeta gang are ex-military rogues-
(as good with weapons as sarh palin!) then we have an invasion of sorts.
they once caught a guy with some pack mules loaded with coke
up in the mtns north and west of phx.
and yes- MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS! I'm tellin you Andy - theres no
way of telling whose on these pedal powered pipebombs! PPPs
you look at the swiss- they have the hardest corp mtn patrol troops
and with no ten speed girly bike either.
the bike cops in Phx just hang around nightclubs and bust regular
low-life. but I'm tellin you Andy - we need to investigate!
how did ho chi minh get his ammo do the trail?- bicycles-

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The training they go through so the poor bastards can get to where they are (read delusions of grandeur) consists of nothing except cerebral overhaul and chemical modification geared towards separating them from the rest of us.

Man o man are they ever gonna hope for a 'restore point' in the near future if things continue down the same path.

Too bad so sad lie in it L E freaks iIi

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Don't forget the baby terrorists

www.thedailyshow.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by passingthought
It's good they're gentile with you

Only if you're Mel Gibson.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
boondock, why didn't the officer state that then?

The officer stated that if s/he didn't pull people over randomly at night then more crime would occur, the officer later on stated that she stopped me because I was riding my bicycle on the sidewalk.

You are rationalizing the events of tonight in a way that is impossible for you to really do from where you are. I was not the only person on my bicycle, this was at a little after 10 pm, not 1 in the morning. Several others passed by us on foot, on bikes, and in cars. I don't live in the ghetto, I've ridden bikes my whole life and I've been here for ten years.

Getting some grocieries at the ralphs or the gas station is not a suspicious activity even at night. It's not abnormal to use a bicycle when you do not have a vehicle, not 99% of the population where I live drives. You are making several assumptions and even if they were all true, having grociery bags with very visible grocieries and being on a bike at night is not a suspicious activity.

Again, by your logic all activity is suspicious day and night. Criminals do everything that non criminals do, criminals commit crimes in all environments through all mediums and at any time of day or night.

Howdy,
I have only read the thread up to this point, when a thought occurred to me (points made on both sides make perfect sense);

The OP has an IP address that frequents a known conspiracy website. Maybe it's just that the cops are letting you know they have their eyes on you...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
boondock you are referring to california highway laws.
i was on a private property lake's sidewalk that as a resident i was authorized to be on. the lake does not require headlights and it does not prohibit bike riding.

private road or sidewalk is NOT subject to Public highway laws. i was not on te highway, was on private property = no ticket would have stood a chance in court

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fred call
What do you expect.

Liberal Marxists vote for a Marxist government. When they get a Marxist government, they try to act surprised.

What's to be surprised about? This is what you protest in the streets for. You are only getting what you asked for.

You asked for a White House that would trample on the Constitution. You get your Constitutional Righst trampled. It's your wish fulfillment. Like a Kamikaze pilot's wish fulfillment.

Doublespeak mentality. You can't explain it to a Marxist.

I agree and the american people voted him into office for two terms. Oh the horror. The Patriot Act certainly did trample the Constitution as well, but I don't believe we can call them Liberal Marxists. I think they were more along the lines of Conservative Fascists.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

I voted for Ron Paul, in the state elections I vote for write in third parties. Sure, they won't win, but at least I am not stupid enough to vote for the "lesser evil." I vote for who I want to win an election regardless of if they ARE going to win it.

Don't tell me that I asked for this that is absurd. I campaign regularly for my freedoms and rights and the fact that you blanket assume all Californian's have the same ideals and beliefs is silly.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Also:

I am riding my bike to my local city hall today to see what forms I can get a hold of, who they recommend talking to, and for absolute clarification on the law (since an officer told me something that contradicts actual written law) with a signed statement from someone in that damn building asserting that it is totally legal for me to ride my bike at night on residential roads to the god damned gas station and Ralphs.

After that I'm following a bunch of the advice I got in this thread and we'll see what comes of it. Thanks ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join