It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad survives attack on his convoy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Ahmadinejad survives attack on his convoy

www.reuters.com

Breaking News:
Ahmadinejad survives attack on his convoy in Iran, some wounded: Lebanon's Future TV quotes Iranian presidency

Sorry I dont have any more info on this yet - its just breaking on reuters website:-

www.reuters.com... - right on the front page.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Now this could get hot pretty quickly, but atm as only Reuters seem to be breaking it I have very little to go on. Wonder who Iran will apportion the blame to? certainly not internally i'd imagine? If anyone else has any other sources it would be appreciated

Further info:- Al Arabiya television said an attacker had thrown a bomb at Ahmadinejad's convoy before being detained. Both television reports said some people had been wounded in the attack.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I just saw this on the news ticker on Euronews, I will try to get more information from the news channels.

Edit: BBC World News (I think is the right name) says that they are waiting to talk to their correspondent in Iran, and that a man that threw the bomb was apprehended by the police.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Apparently a grenade was thrown at a minibus "press car" carrying journalists.

www.businessweek.com...
A minibus carrying journalists accompanying President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on his visit to the western city of Hamadan was hit by a grenade, Khabar newspaper reported on its website.

Not sure why they'd have thrown it at the press vehicle, unless of course their aim was so bad that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
if the attacker was detained like the news says it was we will have an interesting couple of days to follow

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The BBC correspondent (I think it's in Beirute, but I'm not sure) said that Ahmadinejad was going to make a speech in a football stadium and that he delivered the speech and the visit program was not changed.

He also said that Ahmadinejad usually travels with very little security around him, so it's not that surprising that an attempt like this (if it was an assassination attempt) can be carried out.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
seems like a CIA/mossad assassination attempt to me.

USA has been trying to destabilise iran since a long time

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Beat me to it.

So who could this be? A grenade attack sounds more like a rebellious citizen or anarchist or government protestor... Over say, a US or Israeli hitman.

Glad he survived though - I still want to see him humiliate the American president if the debate is allowed

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
His vehicle was 100 meters away and it was a hand grenade?

These are very inept assassins or this was not a direct attempt. I think it may be more of an intimidation attempt. I'm certain professional assassins could have done a better job. This is too random and too clumsy for me to believe it was a directed attack.

I may be wrong if more information or better details come forward.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
i was quite suprized to hear how little security Ahmadinejad has. it will be interesting to see who is responsable for this. Ahmadinejad still made his speach at the stadium and made no mention of the attack. im sure their will be more on this soon.

i think its to early to jump to conclusions as to weather it was something to do with the cia/ mossad althoughe we know there operating. and as for it not being a direct assasination i dont think we have enough information to make that assumption.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by danielhanson420]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

I would love to agree with you but the CIA / Mossad would have been far more successful if it was them!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Press tv is now reporting that their wasnt an attack and it was just a fire cracker! whats going on was it an attack that ther trying to play down or was it just a fire cracker that caused a panic?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yes just caught this on SBS News . Their first report said grenade , second report said unconfirmed fire cracker .I wouldn't like to speculate as to who is responsible .Too many players .

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

A firecracker that left people inside of a vehicle injured?

That's some spin to the story.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Iran may blame Jundullah, a Sunni extremist group, who have carried out killings and bombiings in Iran who Iran has said in the past is backed by the US.

Assassination may not have been the aim here. Intimidation, as in to say "We can kill you at any time, and you lived because we let you." may have been the aim here, to rattle Ahmadinejad's confidence and try to show his personal security to be easily threatened.

Very, very, interesting this happened a day after the Israeli-Lebanese clashes.

Claims now it was a firecracker? Hmm could tie in with my theory, Iran might try to cover up this first reported assassination attempt so as not to allow tensions to boil over in the region.

We'll see....

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Interesting... but PressTV(which is close to the gov't, I take it) says this:

Iran rejects Ahmadinejad attack reports

Some foreign news sources published reports that a grenade exploded near the motorcade of President Ahmadinejad during his visit to the western city of Hamedan on Wednesday.

The source denied the reports, saying no such attack took place.

Who to believe?!

Very interesting... if it is NOT true, then what an extreme maneuver by somebody that owns some news media...

If it IS true, then this is perhaps even worse - as assassination is no way to respond to a debate challenge

This is interesting news... especially since PressTV and their 'source' have denied it.

Who is spinning? Who is lying? Who is making up stories of this extremity? Are they covering up a real attack?

Hard to know, many questions...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This is like trying to get an honest answer and the truth out of somebody in North Korea!

Like trying to push water uphill, we've got no chance!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'd have to agree with most, far too sloppy to be
CIA. Probably a disgruntled Iranian sore about
the rigged election.

But I'm sure that Iran will spin it to suit them.

Or maybe Ah-I-need-a-job did this himself as a
false flag to further tensions against a foe like
Israel or the US.

If the CIA and Mossad can run false flags,
why can't Iran ???

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Nothing on Sky News and they are normally quick at reporting breaking news. (Not necessarily impartially).

And as normal all the usual suspects will immediately blame the USA and / or Israel.

One of the dissident groups within Iran, like Jundullah, are far more likely to be responsible.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Nothing on Sky News and they are normally quick at reporting breaking news. (Not necessarily impartially).

And as normal all the usual suspects will immediately blame the USA and / or Israel.

One of the dissident groups within Iran, like Jundullah, are far more likely to be responsible.

news.sky.com

Mod edit to fix malformed link

[edit on 4/8/10 by argentus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join