It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

future crime can be predicted with '100 per cent' accuracy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

future crime can be predicted with '100 per cent' accuracy

www.news.com.au

Reading the minds of terrorists to know where and when the next attack will occur is no longer the stuff of science fiction films like Minority Report.

A team from the Northwestern University in the US claim they have achieved 100 per cent accuracy in reading the minds of make-believe terrorists simply by attaching electrodes to their scalps and examining their brain waves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This is now getting quite scary. You could be asked any question, like did you break the speed limit today, and bam!, you get a fine.
The possibilities are endless.

I think there will really need to be some strict regulations regarding how these new machines can be used.

I wonder if soon everyone will be have to undergo a scan at some point to see if they are guilty of anything?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

What a ridiculous claim.

So anyone who lies is a terrorist?

I am sick and tired of what so-called scientists claim as the truth - they just want to keep the money pouring in.

We all know what a crock that is.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
now we should expect electrodes to be attached to our head whenever we enter an airport

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Go to trial on ALL charges. Even if it is jaywalking.

You will be found INNOCENT.

Bring into the argument, jury nullification! Google the Supreme Court decision!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The claim of 100% is unbelievable. If I stood here and told you exactly how I might have committed a crime, you'd still not achieve 100%. The simple fact that our own memories and perceptions are fallible makes these scientists sound like idiots.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

That is the most absolutely ludicrous claim I've ever heard...100% accuracy my ass...we have a 1% understanding of the human brain...and that one percent we understand isn't even 100% accurate...yet they think this miracle device can analyze brainwaves to such a degree that it has 100% accuracy...they can dream on...this is just a way to arrest people when in reality they've done freaking nothing at all...the future is not set in stone...and it should be illegal to arrest people or put any legal value on the results of such a machine...

EDIT: This reminds me of that movie where they arrest people before they commit a crime by using a machine that predicts the future...at least their machine needs to be attached to your head...though it really wouldn't surprise me what sort of top secret mind reading tech exists...

[edit on 4/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by ppk55

What a ridiculous claim.

So anyone who lies is a terrorist?

I am sick and tired of what so-called scientists claim as the truth - they just want to keep the money pouring in.

We all know what a crock that is.

Thats being very judge-mental scientist help make discoveries every single day that will help the world.

Science helped create that computer or laptop you have. Science helped make your t.v., science helps us all.

And if you don't know how much breakthroughs there are almost every day then go to sciencedaily.com and learn.

See what happens in a day I think you should learn first.

(Just my opinion based on some facts.)

But back on topic this is as stupid as getting arrested for NOT shooting the president or something.

Bob: Hey this guy is thinking about shooting the president!

George: GET HIM!!!!!

The guy gets jumped by about 5 officers.

Bob: We showed him.

George: Yeah we did.

Lieutenant comes....

Lieutenant Greg: YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob & George in unison: What did we do?

Lieutenant Greg: WHILE YOU IDIOTS WERE STOPPING THAT GUY SOME OTHER PERSON SHOT THE PRESIDENT!!!!!

Bob & George in unison: Ooops.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Remember in all cases, there HAS to be a victim.

Just because YOUR courts say that a crime was comitted, does NOT make it true.

There HAS to be a victim!

Wellllllllllll, according to the statute 19347.8757397957 a crime was committed!

EXCUSE me, who is the victim?! NO VICTIM, NO CRIME! Period.

Hey, it is ILLEGAL for your children to have a lemonade stand, better arrest them FRELLING CRIMINALS!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

agreed. in the article, the last sentence only claims 83 percent accuracy. it was only 100 percent accurate when researchers had previous knowledge of the 'crime'. i think if i can wholeheartedly believe i didnt commit the crime (even if i did) i could pass it. and at the very least, ill just think about kittens the entire time
lol

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tweakedvisions

You know, my cat is 100% accurate to find out the crimes committed, if i have the knowledge about them.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by above

..but when you reach the scene of crime, macavity's not there....

Seriously, they're just using brain associative cognitive responses to predetermined stimuli, This sort of thing has been done before but it cannot be used to predict future crime. It's a tool to see if a suspect might have knowledge in a topic you suspect.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This is nothing new.The american and british government have known long in advance even before the terrorists where the next attacks will be.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by buddhistpunk]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
first up this article is self contradicting.
100%......

A team from the Northwestern University in the US claim they have achieved 100 per cent accuracy in reading the minds of make-believe terrorists simply by attaching electrodes to their scalps and examining their brain waves.

Read more: www.news.com.au... zz0vcxLZJAM

suddenly turns to

"The test was 83 per cent accurate in predicting concealed knowledge, suggesting that our complex protocol could identify future terrorist activity."

Read more: www.news.com.au... zz0vcxp0pgn

83%. I wonder how that happens.

Next, once this is common knowledge (if it even works) when one person with the knowledge is captured the terrorists will change their plan.

But most importantly they will need to find the terrorists before they strike in order to "predict" it. Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
hmm interesting. i wonder if it detected the crime against common sense which this article seems to be committing. please what a joke. this has to be one of the biggest scams since the star wars missile defense debacle. that cant read a cup of tea leaves let alone a human brain. they may have mapped basic motor functions but no way in hell can they map complex thoughts. for Christs sake HUMANS cant figure out other human how the hell can a machine. if this is true the level of AI that we are talking about is more impressive to me than the so called mind reading.

colour me unimpressed

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
What exactly is, "reading the minds of make believe terrorists"? What is a "make believe" terrorist?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Minority Report?

Check out 'Intelligent CCTV'.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...
rinf.com...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

This is coming unless we act now.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
So they claim they can predict crime with 100 (83?)% accuracy, but only when you attach electrodes to someones head?

Unless this were somehow mandatory for anyone who lives or steps foot in North America it will not have stopped any terror attacks by individuals we didn't already have in custody. Even if held as suspects, is attaching electrodes to someones head against their will even legal?

This sounds pretty silly and only effective in a police-state.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Its only 100% because no-one has tried to hack it yet.

Im sure the lie detector was also 100% at the start but after they put it into use, people found ways to "hack the system"

Its only a matter of time...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
No it cannot.

My life has proven that pre crime is rubbish fact.

They have used this mind control garbage on me since 1992, trying to guess what i want and will do and they are never right.

My life has proven 100% this techs and people behind it are useless.

Fact and my life is fact, and this news is rubbish as my life has proven it garbage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join