It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran claims to have S-300 surface-to-air missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Iran claims to have S-300 surface-to-air missiles

www.google.com

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran has obtained four S-300 surface-to-air missiles despite Russia's refusal to deliver them to Tehran under a valid contract, a semiofficial Iranian news agency claimed Wednesday.
The Fars news agency, which has ties to Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard, Iran's most powerful military force, said Iran received two missiles from Belarus and two others from another unspecified source. Fars didn't elaborate, and there was no immediate official confirmation of the report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Israel about to go into Lebanon/strike Iran?

[edit on 8/4/2010 by jonny2410]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Russia signed a contract in 2007 to sell S-300 missiles to Iran, a move that would have substantially boosted the country's defense capacities. Israel fears that supplying S-300s to Iran would change the military balance in the Middle East.
The S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense system is capable of shooting down aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missile warheads at ranges of over 90 miles (144 kilometers) and at altitudes of about 90,000 feet (27,432 meters).
Russia said in June that the new tough U.N. Security Council sanctions against Iran prevent Russia from delivering the missiles to Iran but Iran has insisted that Moscow is under an obligation to carry out the contract to provide the S-300 missiles to Tehran.
"Iran possesses four S-300 PT missiles," Fars reported.
The agency said Iran's possession of the missiles was revealed for the first time last year by Al-Menar TV, which is affiliated the Iranian-backed Islamic militant Hezbollah group in Lebanon. Fars said Iranian government officials never denied the report.
It added that Iran may try to start building the missiles itself.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well this is a game-changer...

It will either totally take the military strike option off the table now or just speed up events. So much tension in the region at the moment, highlighted again yesterday by those clashes on the lebanon border.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

I think, if true, it would probably speed up events rather than take the military strike off the table.

As far as I am aware the S-300 system is rather large yes? If Iran had these and were actually set up ready to defend Israel/US would know about it unless the Iranians have them hidden somehow.

If its true and they haven't got them set up then Israel may want to strike before they do, or Iran are just full of hot air

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
hooray !!!!!!!

I hope Russia provides more S-300's to Iran to protect from genocidal USA and Israel

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
They won't be able to do much with 6 missiles.

Have they got the launchers?

And they apparently got the S-300PT version, not the PMU2 version.

The PT version is less advanced.

The ONLY thing useful they could gain from it IMO would be technical knowledge and the possibility of using those to upgrade their own indigenous anti-air capabilities.

But that could take a minimum of months if not years to have really an impact.

So no big deal IMO.... but this could only accelerate the option of a strike so Iran DOESN'T learn from those and use it to enhance their capabilities.

So bad news overall.

Hopefully the Israeli intelligence don't believe it.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
What did they say again, 4 missiles?

Hmmm, don't think that will help them much looking at the thousands of cruise and other missiles we have just off their coast.

In the UK, it's called scraping the barrel lol.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Hopefully the Israeli intelligence don't believe it.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

Hopefully they do , as Israel will never provoke or do anything against a country that has even the slightest power to fight back...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Breaking: ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON AHMADINEJAD:

www.alertnet.org...

www.alertnet.org...

A reported attack on his convoy, according to the link, but he went on to give a speech.

This happening one day after the Israeli-Lebanese border clashes.

Interesting timing....

Back to the topic.

If this report is true, Either Russia slipped Iran a few S-300's on the quiet before or when they said they would not, or Iran has got them via a third party.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
If the delivery of these missiles is true, then it is the best news in a while. Now only if they would announce the completion of a israel-sized nuclear warhead we could have probable peace in the region. USrael is so cowardly that they would not consider attacking anyone, who has the chance to retaliate with the same force.

Israel has sure been happy to have f22:s that are next to impossible to shoot down without really advanced anti-air systems. Now they got these systems

[edit on 8/4/2010 by above]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by above
If the delivery of these missiles is true, then it is the best news in a while. Now only if they would announce the completion of a israel-sized nuclear warhead we could have probable peace in the region. USrael is so cowardly that they would not consider attacking anyone, who has the chance to retaliate with the same force.

Israel has sure been happy to have f22:s that are next to impossible to shoot down without really advanced anti-air systems. Now they got these systems

Surely if Iran announced it had Nukes and could also shoot down F22's, then Israel and the US would hit em quick and hard to prevent a first strike from Iran??

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

They know Iran is not striking anyone. The only ones going to war in the modern world are usrael. Just look who was the one installing spy equipment past the border here the other day, nearly starting another Israel war?

Iran has modernized tremendously, and is not probably going to do anything to invoke hostility against itself. It is gaining allies and acceptance, and why should it not? I feel embarrased for being in a country who recognizes the UN sanctions against Iran when there are no reason for sanctions.

If anyone should face sanctions, it should be those sick people who have actually used atomic weapons in war. Notice the (s)

on topic: I hope Russia is responsible for delivery of these missile systems, and they have agreed to use belarus as a front for the operation.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
A small amount of advanced SAMs wont deter anybody with serious intent.

Regarding Iranian nukes, I'd be careful what you wish for. If the Iranians get a nuke Saudi Arabia and others will immediately start on the road to getting one. They are not going to be patting Iran on the back. Thats an over simplification. The Saudis and others will want a deterrent against Iranian dominance of the region. They may hate Israel but they fear Iran.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by above
reply to post by minkey53

They know Iran is not striking anyone. The only ones going to war in the modern world are Israel. Just look who was the one installing spy equipment past the border here the other day, nearly starting another Israel war?

Surely it's easier for Israel to use one of their Spy Satellites than trying to stick camcorders up in trees?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I reckon it's real, the S300 has been exported to some pretty poor countries it was obvious, as I said in a previous thread, that 1 or more of them would be approached by cash rich energy exporting Iran, tbh I thought it would be Vietnam or Laos that sold Iran the pre owned kit, may be 1 of them was the other country. A useful augmentation of their air defence and a real chance for a bit of back engineering for the tech break through.

Good news for the defenders none the less, now let's hope that my other thoughts about Iran re engineering some east bloc artillery nukes into missile warheads is also correct. I'd love to see belligerent Bini's face when they get some back.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A mate has just told me that apparently Iran is trying to get the Chinese "version" of the s300, might they have been successful in getting any of those on the re trade market.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Its funny that people are so scared by Iran making nukes, when you can buy one from holiday resort owner in Burgaria.

If Iran would want nukes, they would already have one.

And what comes to S-300. Good for them, gives some security if imperialists start bombing them.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by refz1]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53

Hmmm, don't think that will help them much looking at the thousands of cruise and other missiles we have just off their coast.

Obtaining 4 missiles is a very good start if your intention is to reverse engineer them, learn a few new tricks and start knocking out your own version... Iran does have some smart weapons development guys.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by minkey53

Obtaining 4 missiles is a very good start if your intention is to reverse engineer them, learn a few new tricks and start knocking out your own version... Iran does have some smart weapons development guys.

Very good point, I completely missed that one.

The Japanese have been doing it for 30+ years so yes, I guess even one missile is bad news if it is given to the Iranian Engineers!

top topics

join