It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else viewing that star in the sky?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I was here in my house, until I heard the dog's barking and went to go see what was up.

No one was walking down the street or talking. No noise at all. But I looked up and seen this star I think, flashing differnt colors. Red, Blue, Green, and it was flashing fast. Even giving off a glimmer of white.

It wasn't moving or anything.

I think it's normal to see stars flicker colors and what not. Seen it since I was younger. But this one stood out.

I live in Southern California, 2 hours from San Diego, 45 from Salton Sea.

I believe it's to the south of me. No other stars are visible in the area this one is located.

Anyone in the area, have a look. Hopefully you will see what im talking about.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I see it towards the west ... and one in the south

its probably star light filtered by smog

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I don't know what you're seeing but this stellarium software is very useful in determining it. I've had it for a while and it's very useful.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Its been a star for several years a particular one , that shows red and blue yellow mixing colors , gonna try to take picture one day, if people have noticed the last two years its been bunch of Dancing stars, glowing stars.
Last one was so bright in the sky it looked like a tiny sun, but vanished slowly away, before that i was with my brother and two sharp stars just popped up in the evening sky and you could see it slowly fade away both of them at the same time.. i wished i had a camera that day.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Im up in Western Canada and I see the same thing your talking about I stare at it the most from the section of stars I can see from my house.
Can it just be a star?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Everynight, I go out and look at the stars for a bit.

I cannot recall ever viewing one like this. It just struck me as odd, and wanted to see if anyone else was able to see it.

I just looked out the window, it's lower now, but thats normal for a star, but it's flashing crazy, more red than anything, and it seems to almost vanish at some points.

It's very strange if you'd ask me.

Sorry ATS Community, I dont have a camera at the moment, or else I would of posted pictures, or a video asap.

But it's there.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through the atmosphere.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

Heh, I saw the first one you posted aswell.

Niether of those 2 video's compare to the star that's out.

I'll try to see if I can find one that comes close to it.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

He's a good one. It was blinking at the same speed, if not faster. And way more brighter. More color to it, especially the red. It was like a dark red it would look to be brighter than the others.

When I had created this thread, it was just blinking fast and the colors mentioned. But the last time I looked at it, it was blinking a dark red, and like I mentioned, it would look as if it vanished from time to time.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I just wanted to say that I saw the same thing the other night at the drive in theater. I saw it in the Southern sky as well and like you reported, anished after awhile.. came in and out of sight in between time, really orange for a lot of the time. It was definitely twinkling.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
You do realise that any minute now someone is going to tell you its venus or mars or whatever.Not me ,i'm am hoping that you have found something cool,i look forward to the darkness so i can have a look.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
not to try and derail from the star itself . but the moon is a blood red /dark orange color .. is that normal?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Holy crap yes... I don't know if we are seeing the exact star or what... but I always look at that exact instance... same colors... same speed. I've always wondered what it really is and am finally glad someone brought it up in the forums. I honestly don't know what it could be - it stays in one place always, and unlike the other stars it does not simply twinkle the same color. Pretty cool lookin actually.. just wondering what it is too!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I've been noticing something too, I believe it's the same thing, I'm in Northern California, and it's to the South of me.
It's the brightest and largest object in the sky by a large margin and seems to flicker red, and sometimes green.
I don't know if it's just my vision tonight, but it seem to have a trident halo like a mercedes logo.
Definitely a bright object, I'd like to know what it is now that you bring it up.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yeah it was kinda hard to miss. Wasn't near any other stars, just on its own, blinking brightly, even thought it was blinking fast, (and I mean really fast) you could see the colors. What made me even more fascinated with it was the way it vanished.

I needa get a camera soon. I go out every night, from 10 Pm - 2 Am, between those times, and im always getting stuck looking up.

I could stay out there for hours if I had a lawn chair

But if I did have a good Camcorder, I would be uploading everyday, and showing the ATS Community some of the odd sightings that I am witnessing.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Sounds interesting. Do you have a HTC phone or a iphone? You should be able to point your phone to it with Google Sky Map enabled and see if there is supposed to be something there. It uses your location and orientation to see where you are (using GPS) and what you are pointing at in relation to the sky. Quite fascinating stuff.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Probably disappointing for some but my guess is it's Venus which is the brightest thing in the sky after the moon and sun. It will continue to get brighter until it peaks in early December but by then it will be the morning star rising about 0300. Currently it will be located in the WSW just after sunset from California and if you can get a look at it with very high powered binoculars or, even better, a good telescope it looks like a half moon atm.

The red moon is very indicative of smoke in the upper atmosphere - any scrub fires in the neighbourhood ? (within a few states or so)

[edit on 4/8/2010 by Pilgrum]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
Probably disappointing for some but my guess is it's Venus which is the brightest thing in the sky after the moon and sun. It will continue to get brighter until it peaks in early December but by then it will be the morning star rising about 0300. Currently it will be located in the WSW just after sunset from California and it you can get a look at it with very high powered binoculars or, even better, a good telescope it looks like a half moon atm.

The red moon is very indicative of smoke in the upper atmosphere - any scrub fires in the neighbourhood ? (within a few states or so)

I'll just say that Im sure it's not venus, since It was out earlier than this object, and was more fuller, and brighter. And didnt' flash.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'll hazard a guess and say it's Jupiter.

OP, have you checked out Stellarium or one of the other dozens of star charts out there to see what it is yet?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I'll hazard a guess and say it's Jupiter.

Why do you think its Jupiter? Because its not Venus?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Copernicus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join