It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video sheds light on Indonesia military actions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yahoo News

JAKARTA, Indonesia – The jumpy video shows a prisoner lying in a jungle clearing in eastern Indonesia moments after troops allegedly sliced open his abdomen with a bayonet, sending intestines tumbling from his stomach. Using the little life he has left in him, Yawen Wayeni lifts his arm into the air, and says weakly, "Freedom! Papua ... Freedom!" At the sound of his muffled voice, gun-toting, uniformed officers resting in the shade approach.

FREEPORT IS LEACHING OFF INDONESIA AND THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE IN IRIAN

Once again, the actions of a US corporate company have caused the people to revolt in Irian Jaya against a human rights abusing military of Indonesia.

The biggest open pit goldmine in Indonesia, run by Freeport Mcmoran, and one of the biggest tax payers in Indonesia is located in Irian Jaya, the place where the Papua freedom movement is.

Unfortunately, Freeport is actively paying corruption money to the military for security, as well as hammered out an agreement with the Indonesian government. This agreement leaves the indigenous and local people of Irian Jaya totally in the rain and they continue living extremely poor and in an under educated situation.

No wonder they revolt, as Irian Jaya/ Papua is an extremely mineral rich region. Another nearby mountain to the Grasberg mine has recently led to new discoveries of huge amounts of gold and diamonds as untapped resources. Freeport definitely has an eye already on it.

Also, Rio Tinto is with 13% share involved. Of Course Australia is watching closely, maybe even supporting the Papua Freedom movement?

As Freeport is listed on the Dow Jones, US population is hugely benefiting from the blood and poverty of the Irian people.

Links/ References:

Freeport Mcmoran Gold & copper Inc
Grasberg mine - the biggest open pit gold mine in the world

[edit on 4-8-2010 by nagabonar]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
So let me understand you correctly. You are saying that because a little known corp is listed and sold on the NYSE, that all Americans are guilty? And that Freeport is guilty of the misery and poverty of a people that have never in history known freedoms and wealth? Because they do not 'share the wealth like any reasonable communist enterprise'? I suggest that you send $100 for every ounce of gold that you own, to the poor in that country. Help even out your sins. You can feel better, and we can have a good laugh! And please, don't vote...

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Gregarious]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nagabonar

I don't agree that all Americans are heavily profiting from this. You are right however, to say that those Americans who invest in this corporation do have blood on their hands. Unfortunately, many American and other international corporations pursue the almighty dollar at the expense of people's lives.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Little Known - Yes
Small - in NO way

Freeport is also the biggest copper producer in the world.

Average Freeport QUARTERLY Sales:

890 million pounds of copper (mostly from Indonesia)
490 thousand ounces of gold (100% from Indonesia)
15 million pounds of molybdenum

Schools built by Freeport in Irian: maybe around 5?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

Ok, apologies, i retract....not all Americans are guilty of course....but still a lot of people in the US are benefiting from this since 1970, and Irian people have seen near to nothing from it.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by nagabonar]

top topics

join