It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with Britain's justice system!?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've always seen my country's (The United States) justice system as incompetent, unjust and often rife with corruption. I figured we had it pretty bad. Obviously, I was wrong, it looks like our friends in Great Britain have it a lot worse.

Woman beaten for eighteen hours

Georgia Fenn's roommate believed that she had sexual relations with her ex-boyfriend. Georgia's roomate did the only logical thing: She got one of her friends to aide in a kidnapping of Georgia. for eighteen hours they beat her with a stiletto, a metal necklace, poured boiling sugar water on her, twice, and made her scream "I'm a whore with AIDS."

They burned her with cigs, beat her with a metal necklace, cut her hair and pounded her with a stiletto heel. They forced her to yell "I'm a whore with AIDS" for 20 minutes. Then they boiled a pot of hot sugar water and poured it over Fenn. When they weren't satisfied that she screamed with enough agony, they did it again. It would take 18 hours before Viner-Mood and Gibson tired of the torture. Police would later find Fenn wandering in a nightgown, blood-soaked with severe burns, multiple broken bones, smashed teeth and her hair chopped.

Okay, that's pretty messed up. Nobody can doubt that. So obviously the police caught the two girls, and I'm sure they both had pretty long sentences for that.

Gibson was given just three years in a youthful offender prison. Viner-Mood got five.

For eighteen hours, a woman was brutally beaten, to a point where I'd say most of us would welcome death over continuing for another hour. Her attackers got only a combined seven years between them.

Maybe we can get some insight from British citizens here on ATS. Is this normal for the judicial system over the sea? What exactly is going on with your criminal justice system where two women can essentially almost murder a woman and get less than a decade of time in prison?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by WolfofWar]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Is this a thread trying to be like Law Abiding Citizen? ha ha ha ha ha, no but seriously this is terrible things like the OJ Simpson case just remind me how flawed our justice system is, but I guess it's not much better in other countries like your thread says, good thread S&F

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

It just seems frightening to me that the courts could have seen something so cold and calculated and only give it a slap on the wrist.

I now have to reevaluate how I judge my own countries judicial system. Doesn't seem so bad anymore.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
That made my blood boil!
People like that should have the same damned thing done to them. Cruelty like that and hardly any time served is unacceptable! I cannot believe that such brainless idiots without an ounce of compassion can be in the power to make decisions, no matter what Country they are from.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Sometimes I think the old eye for an eye system was best. You throw boiling water on me? I throw boiling water on you.

The sad part is if the victim was in a relationship with me, and this happened to her, I'd be in jail for murder, and I would be locked away a lot longer then both of these sickos.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

An easier and simpler question to answer would be...

What's right with Britain's justice system!?!?!

The answer... Not much!!!

As in most "developed" nations, crime involving money is viewed far more seriously than crime involving human physical abuse...

I’ve seen tax evaders and fraudsters with bank cards get far more severe sentences than Paedophiles and rapists!!!

How twisted is that??

But that’s what happens when a nation places such a high value on the accumulation of wealth!!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Maybe we can get some insight from British citizens here on ATS. Is this normal for the judicial system over the sea?

It certainly is!

Want the really crazy part? After they served half the sentence they will be eligible for parole.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
seriousley thats bad 3years and 5. over here if were good we do half the sentance if its under 6 years so these 2 will be out in 2 and a half an 1 and a half years.

Heres the next perk for going jail, you can also get 6 months knocked off by getting a TAG. thats a gadget that fits on your ankle and you have to be home for a set time. Just be good and you get a TAG

SO realy and truley these lot are doing 2 and 1 years if they behave. nice jail rules if you live the illigal life.

Over here if you get cought with some class A's you get between 1 - 5 depending on the amount, your age, and the reason you sold them ie i was bullied in to selling drugs.

Breakdown of that means 3 month - 2 year for class A's

safe.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Once incarcerated, inmates can expect access to excellent health care, sky tv, free education, fully equipped gyms and personal development services such as counselling and group therapy and continue to enjoy full legal rights supported by free legal representation.

In fact, Britain has an international reputation for providing superlative prison facilities and services. Only last year, a young Romanian male came to Britain with the explicit intent of committing a rape in order to attain prisoner status. His elder brother had written to him, explaining how after being sentenced to life imprisonment for rape and attempted murder, he now enjoyed his own tv in his cell, free food and English lessons.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You can get more time than that for marijuana here.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
British guy here.

It looks like they were both charged with "Actual bodily harm" for which 5 years is the maximum sentence allowed, so I guess that the judges hands were tied.

Seeings as someone can be charged with the same crime for just knocking out someones tooth in a fight, I think that the police charged her with the wrong crime, although what else they could be charged with I'm not sure.

Seems like a good long spell in a maximum security mental hospital would be more appropriate to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Society would have been better off if both of these women were shot out in the gutter instead of being charged.

top topics

join