It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible View of Aurora Borealis, Tonight.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Possible View of Aurora Borealis, Tonight.

www.gedds.alaska.edu

Time of prediction: 8/2/2010 2:01:00 PM*

Forecast:Auroral activity will be active. Weather permitting, active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Inuvik, Yellowknife, Rankin and Igaluit to Juneau, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Sept-Iles, and visible low on the horizon from Vancouver, Great Falls, Pierre, Madison, Lansing, Ottawa, Portland and St. Johns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aolnews. com
www.king5.com

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
A chance to see the Aurora Borealis tonight, a Kp=4 meaning 'Active Auroral Activity'. Now I know for some people this might not be so exciting but in the nearly 20 years of my life, all of it in Washington, I have never seen the Aurora and I've heard it's breathtaking and who knows when we will get the chance to see it again.

If you follow the main link to gedds.alaska.edu, the site is relatively easy to navigate. If you click 'Can I see the Aurora?' it will give you plenty of options to see if it could be possible to see it from where you are. All of my intel is from the Seattle Area but the site offers information on viewing for Alaska, North America, Europe, North Polar and South Polar.

At this time it's only a possibility, according to the 5 o'clock news in my area a definitive determination of where you will be able to see it cannot be made until satellites pick up the solar energy, after that it will be about an hour before it is visible from the ground. In the Seattle area the highest possibility of viewing will occur between 10:00PM-2:00AM PST.

Who knows this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many of us.

www.gedds.alaska.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

According to another local news station in the city you will have about a 40-50% chance viewing it, that takes into account the lights from the city. It is recommended to get as far away from the city as you can to increase your chances of seeing them.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by fasteronfire]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I just heard about this. I'm in western Michigan. Dn't know if I'll be able to see it but it's starting to get dark and the sky is clear to the north.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I've seen them once before....very cool. It's a shame most people go through life not seeing something like this.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by David9176]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I remember seeing it as a child many times, in the early 80's, we lived about a hundred miles north of where I'm at now and they were very cool.. staying up tonight to see if there is a show.

They are a very cool display of nature.. hopefully they will just be a show and not cuase any electrical disruptions to our now very electronic world..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I live in Northern California area. Do you guys think it will be here tonight?
I can't wait till it is dark out and the still of the night.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If you couldn't tell I'm pretty excited, to my knowledge this is my first chance to see them. Until today I didn't know that it was even possible to see them in the Continental United States. According to the linked website a Kp=9 they would be overhead in all of the States....Can you imagine the solar activity we would need to see that....we'd probably be cooked by then!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I saw it once here in NY state. I forget what was going on but it totally caught me off guard and it was far more amazing than anyone could have tried to tell me it was. Seeing it for real was just awe inspiring. I cannot even really justify with words how amazing it was. Please take advantage of the opportunity!!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Lived in Alaska for a number of years and saw zillions of them. They are absolutely amazing, especially when they dance. One never gets tired of them.

I miss seeing them.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sweet, I'm right in the range where I should see it under a KP4. Right on the edge where it maybe overhead. Can't Wait!!! Hope it's a good show.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
58 degrees N. Latitude and looking fwd. to the show. I just purchased one of those Contour HD cameras and am going to give it a try filming tonight.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I am wondering if I will be able to see them from where I am? Central Minnesota

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So, Portland......

When would it be visible here? It is now 7:34PM.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Going out to look too, but from the Midwest I doubt it. Thanks, it is something I am amazed at but have never seen. Have a great one all of you that can see it, hope to catch some good video.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

As soon as it turns dark you should be able to see lights to the North. Get away from the city lights for your best chance at seeing them. Portland may be a little far south for this show.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
reply to post by LostNemesis

As soon as it turns dark you should be able to see lights to the North. Get away from the city lights for your best chance at seeing them. Portland may be a little far south for this show.

I agree Portland may be a little to far South. But you never know, I hope everyone gets to see it because as someone said earlier it's described as breathtaking but is so much more when you actually see it. I am truly excited and hoping we all get lucky enough!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm in Texas so I have a shot, right?
If any of you get good pics do us unfortunates a favor and post them, please!

I did see them here about 20 years ago. It was an artificially created aurora from some satellite test (conspiracy theory in itself!). It was pretty amazing to see.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quaght
I did see them here about 20 years ago. It was an artificially created aurora from some satellite test (conspiracy theory in itself!). It was pretty amazing to see.

I had no idea they could do that, CRAZY!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So did anyone see them in the UK? I'm right down on in the south west, each time I have checked there was either nothing or mostly too much cloud cover (as flipping always for the interesting stuff!).

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If memory serves me there was an occurrence of the Aurora viewed in Dallas, TX sometime between 1987 and 1989; I remember I was there during those years.

Back then there was no computer/internet and any information came from the local News. Continued information retrieval was not at our fingertips.

I saw the video on this current ejection and the simultaneous filament eruption, and I cannot imagine that one this size has been recent. So who is to say we won't see it tonight as far as Dallas, TX.

I know it happened before!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

The geomagnetic storm in 1989 (the one that knocked out the power in Quebec) did produce aurora which were visible in Texas.

That was a Kp9 level storm. This is a Kp6. Not really comparable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join