It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please remember not to vote!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Maybe the problem is ,

To few ARE voting.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
of the people I've talked with when campaigning for the conservative party, those that say i'm not going to vote, it's easy to deduce their reasoning.

1. They think their voice will not be heard and their vote won't count anyway in the greater scheme of things.

2. They have no interest in politics, or don't understand the implications

3. They don't want to feel responsible if they vote for a government that fails them

4. They don't want a campaigner for the Conservative Party on their doorstep.

I'm guilty of that one.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Maybe the problem is ,

To few ARE voting.

en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe. Lots of parties with lots of differences is a plus and is pretty much guaranteed to bring in more voters. It didn't surprise me that the USA is one of the bottom nations on that list for voter turnout. The happiness of the population is another factor; people who are happy don't feel the need to really change anything, so why bother voting?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by LeftWingLarry]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Rampant apathy and ignorance is what got us here. I'm not sure how doing more of what caused the problem will resolve it.

Do you honestly think you have a chance of getting anything close to a 0 turnout? Highly unrealistic to even contemplate the likelihood of that (a) being implemented or (b) having an impact. We're already down to about 50% of eligible voters voting.

I'm all for considering making it more difficult to vote. I think we've all seen enough videos of exit polling where the people who just voted had nary a clue. That, in my opinion, is at least part of the problem. Too many idiots and uninformed mouth breathers voting. They have no clue why, what the issues are, and what the candidates propose to do about them. But they have a superficial reason for a choice, and they'll make one.

What's the answer? I don't have one that won't be difficult and painful. I sure don't think not voting is it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftWingLarry

4. They don't want a campaigner for the Conservative Party on their doorstep.

I'm guilty of that one.

That's actually quite funny

Most of our campaign events were held at locations where people had the choice to come and talk to us.

We found this to be far more effective than door knocking. Campaigners are not sales people, our main role is to understand and listen to the issues people have and see if there is any common ground with party policy.

I wish everyone would read the main points of the party manifestos, but the truth is people don't, so Campaigning is important for that very reason.

Peace out,

Korg.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I wish they'd done this where I live, it sounds far better than knocking on somebody's door.

Leaflets which display the main manifesto points are another idea.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I wish they'd done this where I live, it sounds far better than knocking on somebody's door.

What constituency are you in Larry?

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

What constituency are you in Larry?

All the best,

Korg.

Uxbridge and Ruislip South, for the 2010 elections. Had three Tories knock on my door at various times, which is strange considering it's actually a fairly safe seat, as they go. I think a lot of people overestimated the effect that the LibDems would have.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Uxbridge and Ruislip South, for the 2010 elections. Had three Tories knock on my door at various times, which is strange considering it's actually a fairly safe seat, as they go. I think a lot of people overestimated the effect that the LibDems would have.

I think we were all surprised, certainly after the first debate. Clegg never preformed as well in the commons as he did that first night.

I've just had a look at the 2010 stats and the swing from labour was only 3.4%, way below the national average, maybe this explains the obvious over action??

I'm in Scun_thorpe, a traditional Labour seat. Ironic as you are leftwing and I'm right lol

Our approach worked well we had a 9.2 swing to conservative... I'm at the Torry conference in October, I might track down John Randall your mp and pass along your suggestions.

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I'm in Scun_thorpe, a traditional Labour seat. Ironic as you are leftwing and I'm right lol

Aye, although Labour are too right-wing for me at the moment. We need a better selection of actual left wing options in this country before we end up like America; The Greens just don't cut it.

Our approach worked well we had a 9.2 swing to conservative... I'm at the Torry conference in October, I might track down John Randall your mp and pass along your suggestions.

If you'd like to. If it works as well as you say then I doubt he'd turn down the idea...

[edit on 4-8-2010 by LeftWingLarry]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chillimac

Join the Guns and Dope Party! Remember to populate congress with 33% ostriches and that if voting changed the system it would be illegal!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Been following this thread, and here's my verdict. Neither you all or George Carlin have convinced me not to vote. I'm sticking with my vote out all incumbents plan. That would probably make the biggest difference today. Thanks for lots of food for thought, though

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Not voting and not being aware when voting is exactly how we got in to this mess .

My forefathers fought to give us freedom and the right for self determination . By not voting you are telling them and all of us its fine I will take whatever they give us because I careless on what happens .

By voting in the right people is the only way we can avoid another revolution here . I dont want to see brother fighting brother American verse American .

We have let these jerks do it and get away with it lets send them a message at the ballot box it is all we have left in the peaceful ways to do the change . The next action for reform is not going to be pretty .

If you are not going to vote you need to bow out of any political arguments if you dont vote dont grip about what they do to you and us .

Edited out error

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Lostinthedarkness]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Are you kidding me?
I can already see November from my house.
Nice try.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm not voting because the agenda doesn't change no matter who wins rights are disappearing and practically non existent

like I said voting means the consent of the governed if you vote for anyone anywhere in this system you are consenting to the system
so if an increasingly powerful police state ,increasing cost of everything runaway corporate fraud, Environmental pollution and destruction of resources ,Higher taxes and lower benefits ,and surrendering an entire State to drug lords ,and that's just the tip of the iceberg then when you vote you'll be voting for that. Plain and Simple

I'm done with this rule of the Elite Corporate Corruption

I do not consent

Not because I'm lazy I have put alot of effort into voting for the right candidate in the past

I'm not voting because I don't consent at this point I don't consent to any of it

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
I'm not voting because the agenda doesn't change no matter who wins rights are disappearing and practically non existent

By doing nothing, you default to agreeing with it. You know the saying;

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

Perhaps a dictatorship would suit you better MrsBlonde? That way all the voting is taken care of for you, amongst many other things like freedom of choice, civil liberty and so forth. Somehow I think if we lost the right to vote out incumbents, you would be one of the first people to whine about the erosion of your 'rights'!

IRM

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
reply to post by randyvs

Well, unfortunately, a lot of men and women died to give you the option to vote. So you could atleast be thankful that it truely is your decision, regardless how you choose to use this power.

Men and women died in the various wars to give us our FREEDOM not the vote.

Men and women who die in war(s) overseas at his moment, are doing so for what? To expand the reach of our system and open new markets. To let huge multi-nationals gain control over resources. Withdrawl from Iraq? Iraqs resources are now under whos control? Why the 14, multi-billion dollar PERMANENT bases?

The vote has become another mechanism of population control. It acts as a pacifier. People believe that when they vote they are participating. This is only true in at a superficial level. The level of participation allowed is just enough to keep people believing that their vote is worth something. Of course many people do not even think about their vote. They vote as they always have (either Rep or Dem, Conservative or Labour). Important decisions such as bailout, war and invasion and who gets to be incontrol of what are never going to be influenced by voters.

The options presented to you at election time are sanitised and acceptable to the system.

People make decisions based upon information they absorb from their environment. Over time this 'becomes' them. People become their opinions. The information you absorb is scientifically constructed and presented to you in order that you reach the 'correct' conclusion. This is not majic, it is knowledge; a technique. (Watch all or forward to 15 Minutes for the BMX bike clip)

You think that what you want is what you really want?

The individuals decision making process IS FREE. This must be the case for you to accept it. The information that you call upon to make the decision is delivered so that you make the correct 'choice'.

People who vote give credence to a system of control. It can not be changed from inside. The only way to peaceful, meaningful change and revolution is NON PARTICIPATION and self education.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Do you honestly think you have a chance of getting anything close to a 0 turnout? Highly unrealistic to even contemplate the likelihood of that (a) being implemented or (b) having an impact. We're already down to about 50% of eligible voters voting.
reply to post by yeahright

Agreed ! It is highly unrealistic. I think the facts show I'm right though.
So that may make getting close to zero. possible.
In very simple terms , I say, your vote is an indicater that the brainwashed zombies have the majority. From there, it's on with the agenda.
Simplistically.

Mrs Blonde,

This right here!

With this being the absolute truth. Hello ! voting is a very stupid thing to do now. Hello! Go ahead and vote cause you refuse to deny ignorance. Hello hello hello! The agenda does not change Hello. Your vote changes
nothing ever and never will.
Casting your vote is tissue in the toilet. Sorry that's what the facts show.

Infraredman

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

There are no solutions. You just arn't getting it. Your vote doesn't do anything. Admit it . It does nothing, nada, zip , zero,. zilch.
Squat.
Voting is ignorant of the facts. Period. sorry but you have to come to grips with that reality. It is the truth and no one can deny it.

Pentathol

Men and women died in the various wars to give us our FREEDOM not the vote.

They died for this country. It is being ravaged by those you vote for.

"but if I keep voting at least I still hgave the illusion that everything is ok".

The illusion of ignorance is just stupid.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

By doing nothing, you default to agreeing with it. You know the saying;

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

Perhaps a dictatorship would suit you better MrsBlonde? That way all the voting is taken care of for you, amongst many other things like freedom of choice, civil liberty and so forth. Somehow I think if we lost the right to vote out incumbents, you would be one of the first people to whine about the erosion of your 'rights'!

IRM

I don't mean not voting as in I don't believe in voting ,or I don't care about the issues I mean not voting as a form of nonviolent protest
because no matter who you vote for the things as they are continue to deteriorate,and at the same time cost more . How can it cost more to do less ?.That isn't because we're dumb it's because the deck is stacked against us,and you vote them in then by default you voted for more of the same corruption.A vote in America means yes I like the way things are please continue to do less and tax me more and steal my money and pander to international criminals disguised as heads of State
as to a Dictatorship I think we're there,and up until now I voted,and this is what we got anyway, That's because it's a CONSPIRACY

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I don't mean not voting as in I don't believe in voting ,or I don't care about the issues I mean not voting as a form of non-violent protest because no matter who you vote for the things as they are continue to deteriorate

OK... There are far more constructive things you can do to protest, such as raising peoples awareness of your grievances. Bringing them into the light. Create a group and fight pro-actively against those things.

IRM

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join