It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Indexing of ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by misinformational

Suppose that ATS is in bed with the powers that be - Perhaps then, ATS is a CIA front that is actively manipulating and/or swaying the ATS Sheeple discussions for the PTB benefit.

Which Member might that be?

It was Bill... shhhh don't tell his wife lol

User Generated Content is the whole concept of The Above Top Secret Network... I'm confused why people don't get the business model...

I don't think there are many Sheeple who frequent ATS, it's having a questing mind that drives people here in their thousands, not some kind of CIA mind control.

Google, indexes important sites first. Large sites that have a high google search index.

There is some code you can add to a site that allows google to crawl the site. It's really that simple.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
I've noticed that threads and posts made on ATS are both almost immediately indexed and searchable via Google - Is this typical? I would expect, with my limited SEO knowledge, that the Google crawler should take some time to index these pages.

It's because of our well-formed XML site-maps: atsmap.xml

They're automatically generated and integrated into our Google WebMaster control panel. Since the content and maps change so often, Google crawls through the XML site maps several times a day.

You can read more about it here: www.sitemaps.org...

Anyone can do it for their website -- it's rather hard to auto-generate valid maps for a site as big and active as ATS
-- and upload them into their own Google WebMaster control panel.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
ATS rocks! So much material, where do you start really?

briantaylor: Do you really expect me to read all that? I mean - it was just a question about ATS' SEO. Sheeesh, you woulda thought that I posted some delusion rant or something. In all seriousness, you make some compelling points. From my little experience on this site, you've nailed the overall communal aspect that is so unique to ATS. However, you sure about this part:

edit: Uh yea, just go ahead and disregard this next part. Funny how one small word (like not) can change a lot - I'll read better next time - Promise!

Anybody who thinks our posts are not being looked at by "TPTB" represents the most delusional segment of our community. Everybody is looking at everything, all the time... At places like this, they only look closer.

Check this out: EFF sues CIA, DOJ, others over Facebook surveillance

Net neutrality and unlawful surveillance are real issues that warrant serious attention.

Now, Korg, sheeple implies sheep, implies a herd, implies herd mentality. One of my favorite ATS pass-times is watching how quickly swayed a certain subset of our members are during thread discussion - You could write a book about ATS Group Dynamics! So yea, anywhere there's a group of people, group mentality becomes at least noticeable. And unfortunately, group mentality is typically that of sheep.

Overlord - Ever notice how people refer to you as Skeptic and not Overlord? Pffft - I choose to embrace reality. At any rate,
on your site design, especially SEO. Actually, its your site's design that can be credited for my membership to it - It was only after receiving results for numerous Google queries (most of which weren't conspiracy driven), that listed ATS within first-page results, that I actually decided to explore the conspiracy community. Exposure is all marketing really is - My compliments to your technical staff.

edit: formatting/clarity

[edit on 3-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Now, Korg, sheeple implies sheep, implies a herd, implies herd mentality. One of my favorite ATS pass-times is watching how quickly swayed a certain subset of our members are during thread discussion - You could write a book about ATS Group Dynamics! So yea, anywhere there's a group of people, group mentality becomes at least noticeable. And unfortunately, group mentality is typically that of sheep.

Sheeple I believe is more accurately a description of those that believe what is told to them without questioning the nature of subject.

If ever there was a community of open intelligent minds, this is it. ATS is a community and we do all work together, to create the content of this site. But I think calling us Sheeple is like calling a cow a horse!

Actually, its your site's design that can be credited for my membership to it -

It has been one hell of a ride getting to here. I have literally just written a thread on the very subject.

Ever Changing Faces - The History of ATS

And Skeptic... I wonder if you spotted the joke above your post...

Korg.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Translation: Our CIA assets made sure we got to the top of the list.

I'm on to you, spook!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
If you really want something to think about, google your username and see how many web pages it generates. You will also find many other sites feed their information just as fast as ATS. If you post videos you can find out who is hosting them. A lot of my stuff ends up in Asia, this post probably will too because i mentioned Asia.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

Sheeple I believe is more accurately a description of those that believe what is told to them without questioning the nature of subject.

If ever there was a community of open intelligent minds, this is it. ATS is a community and we do all work together, to create the content of this site. But I think calling us Sheeple is like calling a cow a horse!

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree in this instance, Korg.

Your sheeple definition is certainly accurate. However, I am putting forth that whenever there is a community of people, group dynamics will be observed. Wikipedia expands with the following:

The implication of sheeple is that as a collective, people believe or do whatever they are told, especially if told so by a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy, without critically thinking about it or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them.

As far as my implication of 'ATS Sheeple' - I'm stating that through personal observation, I've witnessed a percentage of ATS members that adequately fit Wikipedia's definition of sheeple.

Take for instance any number of threads within the Space Exploration board. A thread can be started alleging less than honorable intentions of any particular federally funded space exploration organization. It's interesting to watch the sheeple dynamics develop thereafter. Typically members will begin posting in support of the OP's claims, either postulations or more commonly speculations (this really depends of which subset of members take notice to the thread first - sheeple or perceived ATS authority figures). As soon as a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy posts in opposition to said speculation, you may then also notice how quickly the sheeple are swayed - all without critically thinking about [the topic] or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them.

All I'm implying is that whenever there is a group of people there is group dynamics. And any group of people, I contend, will typically adopt a sheeple mentality - ATS notwithstanding.

BTW - I did take notice to your History of ATS Website Design thread... From an inexperienced member, its certainly interesting to see the evolution of ATS to present day - albeit without perspective.

Best regards Korg

[edit: formatting]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by debris765nju
If you really want something to think about, google your username and see how many web pages it generates. You will also find many other sites feed their information just as fast as ATS. If you post videos you can find out who is hosting them. A lot of my stuff ends up in Asia, this post probably will too because i mentioned Asia.

Hello debris, I'm assuming you're referring to Social Networking sites. This is a bit different than my question regarding ATS indexing.

On any given Social Networking site, I have one page. If I Google my name, I am returned results for that single page. I do not receive results of all the pages I post with that Social Networking site. Nor do I receive any results where I (my name) may have been referenced on another page within that site.

However, if I Google my ATS membername, then I receive results for every single page that I've posted during my time at ATS - And yes, every page within every thread that I've ever posted.

As our aptly named Overlord referenced, this is due to the XML site map and its layout - No doubt much different to that, of say, Facebook.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When I google my name, even all together, as it is here, I find a whole page of Brian Taylor's, more famous, or at least having more hits, than I.

This is something that will change with time.

Just thought it interesting that the unique, "nom de plume's" members use here have actually made them easier to find than the anonymity my real name provides.

(See, I can make brief comments too.)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Take for instance any number of threads within the Space Exploration board. A thread can be started alleging less than honorable intentions of any particular federally funded space exploration organization. It's interesting to watch the sheeple dynamics develop thereafter. Typically members will begin posting in support of the OP's claims, either postulations or more commonly speculations (this really depends of which subset of members take notice to the thread first - sheeple or perceived ATS authority figures). As soon as a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy posts in opposition to said speculation, you may then also notice how quickly the sheeple are swayed - all without critically thinking about [the topic] or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them.

Yes I would agree with that... there is one member whom I have an avid distaste for as they have somehow managed to obtained the status among some members as the be all and end all of answers in space and physics....

This member.. (not naming anyone so don't try) has people actively stating can this member please come to the thread and give their definitive answer.

And so far I have not read anything from this member that would make me think this is it, this is the truth or anything that made me believe he was so utterly brilliant that anyone should call for him.

I totally hate this and is one of the reasons I don't focus on those threads very often.. unless its about Quantum Mechanics a subject I know inside and out.

So I retract my earlier comments and say actually you have made a very good point, with the caveat that this community is less likely to exhibit this type of behavior due to the very nature of the content.

Many years ago I was involved in a computer graphics project modeling a heard of virtual animals and later a crowd of people. The code started out quite complex but we were able to reduce the code down to three main rules, using chaos theory it was easy to show how large groups of individuals do create a stable and workable system.

The model was used by various development companies as a way to better construct town and city designs.

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Googlebot spiders quickly on active websites. It seems forums are especially indexed. I know on a forum that I run, Googlebot drops by very frequently. Sometimes, it indexes for a bit, goes away for a minute or two and then comes back.

I think it probably has something to do with Google Toolbar users. When they visit then maybe the Googlebot does too. Although I'm not sure.

Also, if you use Google Webmaster tools, you can actually tell Google how often updates happen at your site and that helps it determine how much it should visit.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaxxon

Thanks for that Zaxxon!

Skeptic Overlord attributed much of my perceived indexing speed of ATS threads/posts to the ATS XML sitemap. Apparently, once created, you can upload your sitemaps via Google WebMaster Control Panel.

Sounds like you're both saying the same thing - I like to call that verification.

Looks like we're all done here folks! Show's over move along

[edit: formatting]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by briantaylor

At the near-risk of a one-liner response -

Wow!

edit to clarify ambiguous "wow"

Exceptionally awesome post! As its own thread, it would receive the stars and applause it deserves and would undoubtedly spark a stimulating and productive conversation! (Might I suggest you consider that
)

[edit on 8/5/10 by sjrily]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sjrily

You actually read that whole thing!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sjrily

Thanks. I do sometimes go on and on.
I appreciate your clarification.
I have sometimes posted original threads based on the philosophical aspects of other threads.
This was not one of those times.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by briantaylor
reply to post by sjrily

Thanks. I do sometimes go on and on.
I appreciate your clarification.
I have sometimes posted original threads based on the philosophical aspects of other threads.
This was not one of those times.

No problem, briantaylor. I guess I assumed the CIA mind-reading software would have had no problem detecting the enthusiasm and awe inspiring the typed "wow."

I still think it would be an interesting thread.

I often go on and on...and on....

reply to post by sjrily

You actually read that whole thing!

Yes, I really did! And all of yours as well!
- they have all been interesting. I mentioned today this would be/is a sociologist's' gold mine!

I made my first thread post today and deliberately refrained from any leading comments - the replies were very interesting, though not surprising. Of course, this was one of the political forums, which appear to be fundamentally different than other forums. ...and so now I'm going on and on *lol* it's been a long day - nite folks!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join