It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious questions to followers of Jesus

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel
I guess since you are asking followers of Jesus and not only Christians, that I should feel free to answer.

Recently I became quite curious about Nazi theology, which seemed to place great revelatory merit in a historic event which took place in 1933. I think it involves the formation of an Aryan church working together with the Reich government. Merging of church and state, doing the same job.

The 8% of Christians in Germany that didn't regard a historic event or racial identity as part of revelation from God signed the Barmen Declaration of 1934.

My attention was drawn to 4) JEWISH BELIEF IS BASED SOLELY ON NATIONAL REVELATION

Of the 15,000 religions in human history, only Judaism bases its belief on national revelation—i.e. God speaking to the entire nation.
. . .
What then was the basis of [Jewish] belief? The Revelation at Mount Sinai, which we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears, not dependent on the testimony of others… as it says, "Face to face, God spoke with you…" The Torah also states: "God did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us—who are all here alive today." (Deut. 5:3)

Judaism is not miracles. It is the personal eyewitness experience of every man, woman and child, standing at Mount Sinai 3,300 years ago.

While I recognize that Deut 5:3 is the basis of being a party to the covenant, and of the tribe, I don't necessarily take that incident as historically accurate, but as a story made up at about 800BCE some 400 to 600 years after the event was purported to have occureed.

What Jews are accepting as revelation isn't their eyewitness experience but rather some unnamed scribe as authoritative.

In a very real way, the Nazis weren't really relying on their own eyewitness account of 1933 but rather what some theologian named Mueller told them it meant.

I find the racial/event similarities interesting. Of course the Nazi's considered their racial/historical event as a superior revelation than that which the Jews had, and their God as superior to the g.d of the Jews.

The group of believers represented by the book of Hebrews, presumably Jews of the diaspora, make quite a conscious and deliberate break from the Judaic basis in Deut 5:3

HEB 12:18 You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; 19 to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them,

They fearlessly reject that covenant, and find another, better

But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.Heb 8:6

So it can be imagined that believers can exist who really don't care what the OT says, having left it behind. Moreover, any need to slavishly follow any organized understanding of any written word can be dispensed with, especially one that can fall under state control.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by pthena]

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join