It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOme of you simply don't understand what illegal immigration does to this country

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
... if someone is even 1/8 or even less part native they still have a right to claim that as part of their heritage. ... [edit on 7-8-2010 by daskakik]

and get the affirmative action goodies that come with it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass

Originally posted by daskakik
... if someone is even 1/8 or even less part native they still have a right to claim that as part of their heritage. ... [edit on 7-8-2010 by daskakik]

and get the affirmative action goodies that come with it.

That seems to be part of the problem doesn't it?

I didn't mean it that way. I was just saying that if someone could trace their family tree in a certain direction then I could see why they would identify with that culture. This would be true for the English, Irish, Polish, or other Anglo Europeans as well as for the African, Indo-Asian, Asian and Native Americans, etc.

The flaw is in the affimative action laws that give preference to minorities. I believe every individual should be judged on his/her own merits.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I don't support blanket amnesty, I would regard it as rewarding what is essentially a crime, but this isn't the point of this post.

Regardless of any our wishes, an amnesty proposal may be made in Congress. I would simply like to point out that any amnesty proposal even worth considering would have to incorporate some means by which those illegal aliens who were gainfully employed (most of them) would be furnished with proof of said employment. The fact that they were illegal aliens is not, in this scope, materially relevant to the fact that they were employed.

If the goal is to prevent them from joining the welfare ranks, they must be hired, or retained at their current jobs, which as you described would be difficult if not impossible for most employers due to labor laws and financial realities. If they are to be hired, they need to be able to provide proof of their abilities and work experience - a resume - and of what value is a resume without references?

At present it would generally be suicidal for an employer to provide a reference of any kind for an illegal alien. Like it or not, this would have to change if there were to be any hope of keeping them employed after a hypothetical amnesty is granted.

This may seem like a frivolous detail but to overlook it would be catastrophic. If amnesty is considered, preparing for its influences on the economy, which would be great and many, would be of the utmost importance.

One such influence, for example, would be the materialization of untold millions of previously unrealized tax revenues. Just something to consider.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EtSolveMundi

Good points. the whole amnesty suggestion is ridiculous. These illegals aren't going to be able to pay for their citizenship, and if anyone should be paying, it should be the employers who are the real criminals.

Send them back to their home countries with the wealth and skills they have managed to accumulate in the U.S. so they can move their own countries forward.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

reply to post by MojosGhost

...The problem I see is that the people of the US can't stop illegal immigration. It's the PTB that decide what will be done about the situation and if history is an indicator, well you know.

The only way is for something drastic on the part of the citizens of the US and to be honest I don't see them doing it. And, even if they tried I doubt they would succeed.

I believe a number of things must be in place if this is going to be addressed, but drastic action on the part of citizens probably would have the biggest impact. I think there are two things citizens should/could do immediately:

• Demand changes in current law to address the largest obstacle in reducing illegal immigration - that being the HIRING of illegal immigrants.

Making it MORE illegal to cross the boarder and making consequences MORE severe is a waste of time, money and resources. Immigrants have already decided it's worth the risk. In many cases they risk their very LIVES to cross - they do so because the odds of finding work are in their favor.

• Let the money talk - start boycotting businesses known to hire illegal immigrants. We've seen it work before, and we know it works.

But, like you stated, I don't see citizens taking productive action either, especially when it comes to the dollar. It's a catch 22. We like these businesses and don't WANT to stop shopping/using their services. Doing so would cause us a number of inconveniences and we would likely pay more for the same somewhere else . (How well did the "Buy American" campaign work in the long run?) This is especially true when it comes to agricultural products. Corporate agri products are in nearly every food product we buy. American citizens as a group are not willing to make the kinds of changes necessary to have an impact.

I have to wonder too, though, how many citizens realize what would really happen if we shipped every illegal immigrant out today -or even over the next year. The result would be far more "inconvenient" than any boycott action. The 2008 "crash" would be considered a cake walk. Huge increases in prices would occur; federal, state and local revenues would suddenly decrease (illegals pay taxes too), consumer spending would decrease (illegals buy things too); the corporations we hold so dear would begin to collapse (from increases in labor cost, med insurance, employer taxes, etc.; from deceased sales as costs rise; from other companies increasing raw material costs...); small business would suffer the same - and we would be faced with the irony that the rapid removal of all illegal immigrants caused widespread unemployment - and an economic crisis.

NOTE TO ALL: The above statement is not a statement supporting open boarders. It is simply a fact that should/needs to be faced and considered when trying to find answers.

If the majority wants to deport all illegals without considering the results, then so be it. But it's precisely this kind of tunnel vision that's responsible for most of the serious problems we face today - harmful products deemed safe, environmental threats, economic uncertainty, 'well-meaning' policies that backfire and so forth. Hasty, emotional decisions rarely turn out to be the best ones.

Personally, I would rather brainstorm solutions that don't further threaten my retirement.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The upside of having illegals is they are prepared to do even the most menial jobs that Americans refuse to do. So if this is the case perhaps state Govts could provide 2-5 year working contracts with a base wage depending on the type of work.

Eventually all nations will close their boarders if illegals continue to jump the legal queue in the thousands.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It is not slavery, they are relatively free. To condem them to die from starvation in Mexico is more of a moral crime. So I share. Good luck trying to cover up your greed with fake morals. We know you want the jobs for Americans out of racism and hate. You can't fool us ya Mexican haters.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

thats more than my mother and father and they have lived here all their lives and legally and worked all their lives..

that is infuriating.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It would be infuriating if it were true, I totally agree there, but you might want to check out the post by HandBanana

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join