It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mosque near ground zero greenlighted

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

It has already been put out there that it will be built close to the "9/11 site" - it will always be thought of as being close to the "9/11 site". There are so many other things that could be built that would be more sensitive to the families that have lost loved ones near that area. A hospital, museum, clinic, a non-religious place for families and children, etc. An elobrate mosque which holds parties, weddings, sports, celebrations is disrespectful.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
An elobrate mosque which holds parties, weddings, sports, celebrations is disrespectful.

Oh #, shut down Madison Square Gardens, a Muslim might want to watch the Knicks get there ass kicked.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Yeah but is it a nice area? I don't know. Can you fill me in here?

The area north of the WTC site (including where the Islamic community center will be built) is known as Tribeca. To the south (more or less) is the Financial District; to the east are Chinatown and the civic center.

The entire area is extremely dense. The Financial Center is mostly business, the rest is very mixed-use. I think that's one thing people who don't know NY don't quite get. It sounds nice to say "why don't they build it elsewhere" but there just really isn't much other space in lower Manhattan.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
I know this has been asked more than once but not really answered. How many of the people in this thread so vociferously opposing this mosque actually live anywhere near the site?

Any of you?

Soo......

That answer is none of you?

Everyone on this board that opposes this mosque is from somewhere NOT NYC? Any of you even from the NorthEast part of the country?

Just curious if people are really going out of there way to try and tell New Yorkers how New Yorkers are supposed to feel about what happens in New York.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

Sorry dude, Canadian here. That's why I ask a lot of questions.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Okay I've been watching this thread for a while now. I've seen all the arguements. I understand the parallels to Spain. But consider this, TPTB wanted you to fear Islam and those of the faith. They have sown the seeds of dissent and are seeing all their hard work come to fruition with all the protests against this mosque. What I don't understand is how in the most diverse city in the world can people be so closed minded as to deny people of a place to worship. The acts perpetrated on 9/11 whether it was a ragtag bunch of terrorists or not they were not reflective of Muslims everywhere but only a few extremists. As a New Yorker born and raised I say let them build. That in my opinion would be a moral victory and would mark the day where we as a people could finally begin move on from that tragic memory.

peace love
jacktherer

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Sorry dude, Canadian here. That's why I ask a lot of questions.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. I was specifically asking the people that have made it clear they oppose the building of this mosque. I was curious if any of those people were even from NY or if they are just sitting in some flyover state pretending they actually give a crap about how New Yorkers feel.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
pretending they actually give a crap about how New Yorkers feel.

I can't speak for all New Yorkers, only myself. But I know how I feel: resentful that what happened here is being used for political manipulation yet again by those who generally want nothing to do with the city.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I can't speak for all New Yorkers, only myself. But I know how I feel: resentful that what happened here is being used for political manipulation yet again by those who generally want nothing to do with the city.

So let me see if I am following along so far. You, me, and jacktherer, the only New Yorkers in this thread do NOT have a problem with the mosque being built?

Is that the score so far?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

As far as I've seen, yup. Unless you want to include Lucidity's sister, who seems to be here in spirit sometimes

In fact, even the polls that show most New York City residents don't want the mosque also show that only 1/3 of Manhattan residents oppose it. And I bet the numbers would be even lower if you just included Lower Manhattan residents.

Seems like the further away people live, the more it bothers them

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

That pretty much clears it up for me. 3 people from NY have no problem with the mosque as stated. 1 more NYer via Lucidity.

Attention everyone else. In NY, we are all good with it. Remember, we are the ones that got hit. It is up to us first to get all upset and we decided to show we are better than that. Sean Hannity is on rerun on the radio right now. Please go back to your own problems. NY can take care of itself, thank you very much. State's rights, hands off my constitution, land of the free, rah rah rah.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Do you think that the mosque is going to save you all on the day New York gets hit by the big one?

I just hope Washington doesn't get hit simultaneously, cause if it does, The United States will cease to exist.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

There's no line of sight to ground zero. Just in case it matters, which it probably doesn't.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I lived there the first 28 years of my life, 10 in Tribeca, and watched the towers being built when I was little. Do I count?

reply to post by americandingbat

lol in spirit. We talk everyday. She swears it's not a big deal there.
Actually, Two sisters. One still lives there and one has passed (She lived in Tribeca too, in the red zone.) Our parents were married at St. Nick's. I left there, and they all stayed, but I'm coming back soon. I miss it.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Need to see if the Yankees are going to the series again this year

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well as if that is the case and as you believe it does not matter, then perhaps we should demand that the Japanese build a shrine at Pearl Harbor, or perhaps a statue to the Hutu's in Rawanda, or maybe perhaps the Tibetian government in exile, would really like a copy of Charmain Mao's writings, or any number of other things where the agressor was wrong and represented one group attacking and killing another group. This Cordova house is a bad idea, espeically where it is located, that close to the ground zero sight, 2 blocks away. It is a slap in the face of the people living in New York, who for one day lived through one of the very few attack on the United States of America soil. All this is going to do is cause tensions between the people who are not wanting this to be where it is and the Muslim community. If anything its causing a tearing of the fabric of society, and I would not be surprised if it keeps increasing in the United States. This is not the first time this has happened, where the general population has been ignored on this issue, and will only add more fuel to a smoldering fire.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I wish I had one to share with you..........History always repeats itself.

I hope 9/11 2.0 doesn't happen in my lifetime....but I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

don't worry, dude.

according to many, it will only be a local problem.

why not rebuild st.nicholas too?

www.stnicholasnyc.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this is a horrible idea. It adds insult to injury, putting a mosque anywhere close to ground zero is just wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
if you pay attention to current events

if you take a single innocent event or not so innocent

if you take multiple events taking placing at the same time

if you look at how does a affect b,c, or etc.....

that could accurately depict a future event.

you add whats has transpired in the past.

then you might be able to surmise what will exactly happen.

still tho even will all that its still a guess but then agian- isnt that how to do estimates?

but crystal ball would really be nice .

[edit on 4-8-2010 by neo96]

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join