It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Wikileaks probe reaches MIT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Pentagon Wikileaks probe reaches MIT

www.theregister.co.uk

Adrian Lamo, the hacker who reported Manning to authorities in May, said that two men at the prestigious university assisted in releasing the material, CNN reports. Lamo also said the men were connected to Wikileaks and gave Manning encryption software, and taught him to use it.
The claims follow a report in the New York Times on Saturday which also said Pentagon investigators were focused on 22-year-old Manning's acquaintances in the Boston area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The saga continue, the big question is how will it end. We have writers calling for the kidnapping of Julian Assange, FBI questionning one of his collaborator at the border, and now this.

I think the authorities already have the key to decrypt the insurance file, they know it's not bluff and it's a big freakin' smoking gun. The future will tell. Ooops, people in black suits knocking on my door

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
way to stick it to uncle sam. death to the federal government. we need more state and less fed. much much much less.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I do not believe a word of this.. Bradly Manning was a communications expert. (Army intelligence analyst) Surely he wouldn't have needed anyone to give and show him how to use encryption software.

If this can be disproven then perhaps there is a larger conspiracy here. Manning may be a fall guy.

I find it strange that Adrian Lamo made these statements only After the press reported the Gov was looking into Bradly's contacts in the Boston area.

How did Lamo get this information.. where are his sources?

Lamo was the one who busted Bradly in the first place..I think we need to take a good hard long look at this Adrian Lamo guy. Something smells very fishy here.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Adrian Lamo:

Lamo was born in Boston, Massachusetts to Mario Lamo and Mary Lamo-Atwood in 1981.[4] He spent his early childhood in Arlington, Virginia, until moving to Bogotá, Colombia around the age of 10. When his family moved back to the United States two years later, they settled in San Francisco, where Adrian lived until he tested out of High School a year early. Popularly called the "homeless hacker" for his transient lifestyle, Lamo spent most of his travels couch-surfing, squatting in abandoned buildings and traveling to Internet cafes, libraries and universities to investigate networks, and sometimes exploiting security holes. Despite performing authorized and unauthorized vulnerability assessments for several large, high-profile entities, Lamo refused to accept payment for his services. During this period he also overdosed on amphetamines.[4]

Lamo was appointed to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Youth Task Force by San Francisco Supervisor Tom Ammiano.[5]

In a 2004 interview with Wired, an ex-girlfriend of Lamo's described him as "very controlling," stating: "He carried a stun gun, which he used on me." According to the same article, a court issued a restraining order against Lamo.[6] Lamo disputed the accuracy of the article and wrote "I have never been subject to a restraining order in my life".[7]

In February 2009 Lamo was revealed to have been a donor to disclosure site Wikileaks.[8][9]

In his spare time, he donates his time and expertise to Voluntary Legal Services of Northern California, a Sacramento-based nonprofit organization providing assistance to indigent and low-income clients involved in civil litigation.[citation needed]

In May 2010 at age 29, he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome after having been placed on a 72-hour involuntary psychiatric hold, which was extended to a total of nine days.[10]

en.wikipedia.org...

Does this guy sound sane and credible to you? Not to me. I think he made a deal with uncle sam.

The guy even sent Wikileaks material himself !

Lamo made this statement concerning busting Bradly.

Lamo's disclosure of the chat logs

Lamo told Associated Press that he gave the chat logs to Army criminal investigators after consulting with a friend who had worked in Army counterintelligence. Lamo said that "it was a combination of an act of conscience and an act spurred by my understanding of the law," Lamo said. "I did this because I thought what he was doing was very dangerous".[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

This does Not sound like the hacker we know Lamo to be. Hackers do not simply change their long held beliefs of the injustice of the Gov on a whim. This is why they become hackers, to get dirt on TPTB.

He must have done this work for personal reasons.. as stated above he refused to take money for his hacking jobs ! That tells me he does have strong long held beliefs about hacking. Proof to me his statements about Bradly are a fabrication.

Lamo is noted for his crimes thus:

Adrian Lamo is perhaps best known for breaking into The New York Times internal computer network in February 2002, adding his name to confidential databases of expert sources, and using the paper's LexisNexis account to conduct research on high-profile subjects, although his first published activities involved operating AOL watchdog site Inside-AOL.com.[11][12][13] The Times filed a complaint and a warrant for Lamo's arrest was issued in August 2003 following a 15 month investigation by federal prosecutors in New York. At 10:15 AM on September 9, after spending a few days in hiding, he surrendered to the US Marshals in Sacramento, California. He re-surrendered to the FBI in New York City on September 11, and pled guilty to one count of computer crimes against Microsoft, Lexis-Nexis and The New York Times on January 8, 2004.

Later in 2004, Lamo was sentenced to six months detention at his parents' home plus two years probation, and was ordered to pay roughly $65,000 in restitution. He was convicted of compromising security at The New York Times and Microsoft,[14][15] Yahoo![16] and MCI WorldCom.[17]

When challenged for a response to allegations that he was glamorizing crime for the sake of publicity, his response was "Anything I could say about my person or my actions would only cheapen what they have to say for themselves." When approached for comment during his criminal case, Lamo frustrated reporters with non sequiturs such as "Faith manages",[18] (probably a reference to science fiction television show Babylon 5) and "It's a beautiful day."[19]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 3-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

This does Not sound like the hacker we know Lamo to be. Hackers do not simply change their long held beliefs of the injustice of the Gov on a whim.

You're right - They do it for money.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
The guy even sent Wikileaks material himself !

This is key. If only we could find out which material he contributed... it would tell us more about his contacts and possibly who he's working for, if anyone.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It look to be the latest witch hunt of the fed, first came the communists, then the terrorists, now the truthists (leakers). Governments need their population to be in a state of fear to remains controllable.

new topics

top topics

join