It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Gingrich: Declare Ground Zero a "Military Battlefield" (No Mosque)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I just heard about this on the radio.

Regarding the mosque controversy at ground zero, Gingrich urged the president and Congress to declare the area around the World Trade Center site a national military battlefield "because that was a battle and it's part of a real war." More Americans were killed at the World Trade Center than at any battle site in the United States since the Civil War. That justifies designating the area as a national battlefield, he said, where only "appropriate" buildings and uses would be allowed near the battlefield.

www.newsmax.com...

So, it looks like there may be a loophole that will allow the federal government to block the construction of the mosque near ground zero. Personally, I am indifferent to the plans to build the mosque; although, I believe that the opening date of September 11, 2011 is in bad taste.

Anyhow, I thought I would post this for all of you. That way you can start writing your congressmen and lobby for/against declaring ground zero a military battlefield.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's the site of a terrorist attack, not a battlefield. No one battled back. Aside from that, it would not affect the building of the Islamic community center at ground zero because the proposed site for the center is not on ground zero.

"Around the site" is as big a stretch as "battlefield."

"Appropriate buildings?" Betcha there are more than a few churches of religions from opposing factions on plenty of battlefields already.

Then again, maybe if they do declare it a battlefield, maybe they'll do something about that hole in the ground that serves as just one of the constant reminders that proves the terrorists won.

If the president and Congress approve this, they're a bigger bunch of idiots than they've even proven to be so far. But helluva a try, Newt

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
It's the site of a terrorist attack, not a battlefield. No one battled back.

I think "crime scene" is a better description of the site.

I think putting a mosque there is about three different kinds of stupid. But the PC Police will ensure that it happens.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

Thank you. Crime scene is a much better word...I struggled with that.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think the date of the opening was incorrect. I think someone somewhere just posted that date to get people riled up.

The problem is the name of the center.

Supposedly Cordoba is supposed to have some meaning like rule in the west.

I do not know, if a Muslim could chime in.

Here is an article on it.

ricochet.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Right. It is alternately presented 9/11/2011 for either opening or groundbreaking. When it became obvious that is was highly doubtful that they get get it built by 9/11/2011, it morphed into 9/11/2011 being the groundbreaking. It still flips flops in discussions.

Neither claim can be fact checked or traced. The closest anyone has gotten tracking down the "facts" was "hearing" that someone found this date in an Arabic online newspaper or discussion board...in Arabic.

The earliest reference I have found was in this political ad on YouTube for Congressional candidate Rick Barber, by Rich Barber. I believe this may possibly be where the rumor started.

The sad thing is some people will always remember this rumor as truth. That's the way things work in this country these days.

And by the way, the ADL's response to the viral media on their stance on the Islamic center is wrapped up here. They do actually support the rights of the Islamic center to be built.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My thoughts on this Mosque...

I find it hurtful (lack of a better word) that someone would want to build one in this vicinity. I understand they have the right to build them, but its a sore spot. Plus, isn't ground zero in the financial district of Manhatten? What purpose it would be other than to antagonize? I understand there is a Church there, but there isn't one for every religion, is there? So for what purpose, would you want to build a Mosque, in a financial district, where supposedly, like minded (in terms of religion) people commited this horrible act ?

edit add: But I didn't give the zoning permits, or the building permits, or have enough money to lobby against it, so it doesn't matter what I think.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
If whomever has the financial means to purchase land near Ground Zero, they can do whatever they wish. What is the big deal about all of this? This is the United States and not the Soviet Union. Where the mob or a government can tell you what to do and even how to utilize a real estate acquisition. As soon as the mention of a Mosque near Ground Zero was mentioned, people went into a blind fury.

Perhaps, there is nothing nefarious about this at all? This may be a fig leaf showing solidarity by Muslim Americans with victims of this heinous act that took place on 9-11. We need to turn off our personally feelings on this one and look at the law. People in this country have property rights and this becoming an abridgment to that core principle of the Constitution. If the government tells what to do with your property what is to stop them from doing the same to Joe Six-Pack?

Newt Gingrich is blowing hot air and is practically a has been as far as I am concerned. His twenty seconds of fame are over. This is not a battlefield, but a crime scene as Lucidity stated in his post. People are quick to demonize an entire religion and an entire race of people over what few men have done. It seems a lot like what Adolf and his band of goons did in Germany years and years ago. As long as these worshipers are honoring the victims and families in their sermons and offerings what is the problem?

On a side note, I am sure the bureaucracy will make it damn near impossible to get this old building in code and in compliance with zoning. They will milk these people for everything, and it will become one big money pit. Restoration will never take place. As a result of that, they will back away and the city will demolish it. Case closed!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
At first, it irked me a bit that they were going to build a mosque in the vicinity of Ground Zero. But then, I thought about it, and I'm all for it. Hey, that's a part of being in America, freedom of religion. Okay, yeah, it was a Muslim terrorist organization that led the attacks. But for all we know, there were Americans that died that day that were Muslim. Yeah, seems in bad taste, especially with the projected opening date, but I say it's their right as American citizens if they so wish to build a mosque there.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Take the media hoopla out of the equation and think about this again. NYer's don't have a problem with this and shouldn't they know? THEY LIVE THERE!!!

new topics

top topics

join