It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aust' P.M. Withdrawal from Iraq would increase local terror risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
'Prime Minister John Howard says that Labor's policy to pull troops out of Iraq by Christmas would damage the American alliance and increase the threat of terrorism in South-East Asia.
Mr Howard put forward his points as to why Australia should remain involved in Iraq during a major foreign policy speech in Sydney this evening.' (June 18)

But the Federal Opposition's spokesman for Foreign Affairs, Kevin Rudd, rejects the Prime Minister's view that the terrorism risk would increase if Australia pulled out of Iraq.
"The bottom line is this, because of our involvement in the Iraq war and because of the Iraq war overall, JI has been able to recruit more terrorists in South-East Asia and furthermore the overall terrorist threat in South East Asia has increased."
www.abc.net.au...

All this in an election year, both in the U.S and Oz.

Sanc'.

[edit on 18-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
www.theage.com.au...

The US alliance with Australia has now been made a election issue by the Australian PM, saying that the withdrawal of troops from Iraq would be seen as an "unfriendly act" towards the US alliance.

I believe it was an unfriendly act to drag us into a war on Iraq for false reasons. That applies to both the Bush administration and the current Liberal government. Conscientious Australians do not like to be bullsh!tted.

The current Australian Liberal government just does not learn. Bullsh!tting about refugees throwing their children overboard at the last election only to continue bullsh!tting during their term about Iraq's WMD's.

To be honest I wouldn't like to see a labour government in power any more than the current liberal one. But it's high time the ignorant masses woke up to all this utter bullsh!t.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
www.theage.com.au...

The US alliance with Australia has now been made a election issue by the Australian PM, saying that the withdrawal of troops from Iraq would be seen as an "unfriendly act" towards the US alliance.

Well said cargo

But whoever wins the upcoming Oz elec', will anyone be able to say to the U.S.,
"And don't forget to take your golfing theme park, just left of Alice Springs"

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Heh, yeah probably wouldn't happen. I am all for American alliance, and what Rudd says about the the alliance continuing no matter who is in government will be true. I just dont like the Bush Administration talk about holding back intelligence as a result of Labour taking power. We have followed the US into so many wars post WW2 that to deny Australia anything as a result of any disagreements on the Iraq war would be a downright nasty attitude to present.

60 years of support flushed because our opinions differ. If that is the way the US Gov chooses to operate then perhaps it is not in Australia's interest to pledge a strong allegiance to those who would deal such harsh ultimatums concerning the friendship.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
There were massive anti war demonstrations here in Australia just before the CIA's bomb blast in Bali. This was very obvious because, still no group has come forward and admitted responsibility. It was made very clear to us that unless we joined America in the war on terror, America would carry out more terrorist attacks on Australian soil and kill more Australians.

Now lets get this straight. We now have Australian troops in Iraq and we have not had any terrorist attacks here yet. But if we withdraw the troops, Bin Laden is going to immediately start activating terrorist cells here in Australia ? WTF ?? These are scare tactics by our deceitful cowardly Prime Minister and your despicable immoral President.

If the opposition party does withdraw Australian troops from Iraq, as the voters now fully expect, it will be America that retaliates against us, not middle eastern terrorists. Bush has already threatened to cut off out intelligence. So I suppose we may as well shut down all the American intelligence gathering bases here, and kick out the NSA.

No doubt America would then send armed troops here to defend their intelligence assets. Without US bases here in Australia, the US would be almost totally blind and deaf over a third of the globe.

With allies like America, who needs enemies ? You can be sure of one thing though. The whole American intelligence machine is now gearing up for a dirty tricks campaign aimed at interfering with Australian domestic politics.

God bless America, the shining light of democracy and freedom............

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Yep when the Bali bombing hapened i knew it was the US trying to get us to go against terrorists and partake in anti-terrorist measures, Get Australian support.

But hey, i still believe ridding Saddam was a good move, as was removing the taliban.

Australia doesn't have many troops over in Iraq. Something like 300 troops? I think they should stay and help out.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I Think we should hang in with the Yanks, There not a bad bunch, gun nuts but still allright people, and As a Nation we are happy to help them

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Australia doesn't have many troops over in Iraq. Something like 300 troops? I think they should stay and help out.

We actually have 850 defence force personell over in iraq...i think it's like 250 troops and the rest ar support.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Most personnel in the middle east (iraq) are Naval. Some ground personnel as well, both army and air force but navy has the most.

Its interesting to hear the US governments comment on a Labour government coming in to power and what they'll do. It's already been alleged that the US government had a hand in the downfall of the Whitlam government back in the early 70's. They have a history of doing this with out shame either - they get their way, even if it may take a few years.

Portugal in 75 the US financed and guided a return to power of pro US government after the previous friendly government was ousted in a coup. They even sent NATO ships into Lisbon harbour as a show of "force" and carried out military exercises of its coast

The list goes on, East Timor, Angola, Phillipines, Korea, Grenada, Libya, Fiji, Panama - it continues.

What do they have install for Australia if labour gets into office?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing that issue up Warthog, as soon as I saw your mention of Whitlam it reminded me of an Insight report I saw on SBS early last year. I searched the SBS site and found a transcript.

The transcript is of a short report on SBS's Insight program dated February 27th, 2003 which deals exactly with the issue of the American government interfering in Australian politics, particularly regarding the destabilisation of the Whitlam government. This should get anyone interested in looking further into the issue started.

With Friends Like These...

"There's been a meeting this evening between Opposition leader Simon Crean and US Ambassador Tom Schieffer over the rift between the two concerning Iraq. Mr Crean says he's satisfied the Ambassador won't try, as he put it, to meddle in Australian politics again. But the role the United States has played in Australian politics raises questions about the very nature of Australia/American alliance."

[edit on 20-6-2004 by cargo]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It's from OVER 1 year ago buddy.

"ARCHIVES - February 27, 2003

With Friends Like These...
There's been a meeting this evening between Opposition leader Simon Crean and US Ambassador Tom Schieffer over the rift between the two concerning Iraq. Mr Crean says he's satisfied the Ambassador won't try, as he put it, to meddle in Australian politics again. But the role the United States has played in Australian politics raises questions about the very nature of Australia/American alliance. Sarah Ferguson reports. "

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
It's from OVER 1 year ago buddy.

What's your point?

The Whitlam government was 30 years ago. The discussion has evolved to the US manipulation of Australian politics throughout our recent history.

Keep up mate.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
G'day down under.

Always remember that "We The People" of America are your friends.

On the other hand the United States Imperial Federal Government, both republicans and democrats are a friend only to the Banksters, big oil and some big business. They are an ememy to civilized freedom seeking people through out the world. They have the stench of soldier and civillian blood on them from 50 years of usless unnecessary wars, which only served to make big money for the worlds war machines.

PS: A big thanks to any Aussie Nam Vets out there. Having met some of you in Viet Nam, I am sure glad you were our friends and not our enemy...You are good!

Ghostwolfemoon

top topics

join