It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunfire erupts along Lebanon-Israeli border

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
As expected casualties are rising.

2 IDF soldiers now dead in total.

Edit - Thats been retracted apparently.

Confused

[edit on 8/3/2010 by jonny2410]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Just seen an Israeli Defence Analyst on Al Jazeera English ranting about how Israel had permission from UNIFIL for and I quote, "our forces" to enter the Lebanese side of the border.

He neglects to mention that apparently they reportedly did not have Lebanese permission, which I would presume, what with Israeli soldiers wanting to enter Lebanese territory, would have been rather important to seek.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

Maybe UNIFIL were contacted by the IDF,but neglected to tell the Lebanese what they were going to do?
Sloppy work if so,and has resulted in deaths on both sides.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Since when did Israel listen to the UN ?????

Didnt the UN call the Gaza blockade illegal??
Didnt the UN call for a settlement freeze and Israel to abide by the 1967 borders???

Funny how Israel quotes the UN when it suits them..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Unreal. Surely permission is granted from the Lebanese government and didn't you say in another post that they were probably told no? It really makes you wonder because I have seen stories regarding hedge trimming to blame and a suggestion that the fence doesn't run parallel to the border, so Israel was still within their territory.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Aljazeera story link

Israeli TV has reported that Hezbollah was not involved in the skirmish

wow im really surprise of that news
its good news
but its bad new now for the Lebanese Gov
they will now go destroy in a futur war all the country infrastructures itself not only hizbollah bunker or stronghold now

Israel will label the lebanese gov egual to Hizbollah

they want fresh water from the litani river and the massive oil reserve just found not to long ago on lebanon territory ... so they have interest at going at war to controls those 2 things
and since they are not friend with the lebanese gov ..
they will wipe them out

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Ben81]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Maybe UNIFIL were contacted by the IDF,but neglected to tell the Lebanese what they were going to do?
Sloppy work if so,and has resulted in deaths on both sides.

Al Jazeera English reported on a report that Lebanon had turned down Israel's request via UNIFIL to enter Lebanese territory.

Lebanese army state in this link that UNIFIL interfered to try stop the Israeli crossing, failed, and that's when the Lebanese side responded.

www.alertnet.org...

If true, it suggests UNIFIL were aware Lebanon had turned down the request, because they tried to stop the Israeli crossing, in which case I would presume they had informed Israel of Lebanon's refusal of permission, but Israel continued regardless.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Naharnet news

6:32pm The Higher Defense Council discussed the clashes in the South and gave the order to confront any attack against Lebanon.

Well for once the Lebanese army will fight.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Unreal. Surely permission is granted from the Lebanese government and didn't you say in another post that they were probably told no?

That's what is reported.

It really makes you wonder because I have seen stories regarding hedge trimming to blame and a suggestion that the fence doesn't run parallel to the border, so Israel was still within their territory.

Not hedge trimming from any reports I have seen. Israel reportedly sought permission to put up a security camera.

And the fence seperates Israeli and Lebanese territory.

There is a photo quite clearly showing an Israeli soldier carried by a crane leaning over that fence into Lebanese territory.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm

Lebanese army state in this link that UNIFIL interfered to try stop the Israeli crossing, failed, and that's when the Lebanese side responded.

www.alertnet.org...

If true, it suggests UNIFIL were aware Lebanon had turned down the request, because they tried to stop the Israeli crossing, in which case I would presume they had informed Israel of Lebanon's refusal of permission, but Israel continued regardless.

If the request was in fact refused,then Israel should not have been anywhere inside Lebanon-and I would imagine they knew what would happen if they did go in.

So it looks again,like one of those situations which could have easily been prevented,had rational minds been in charge.
Sad.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The violence apparently erupted over a move by Israeli soldiers to trim some hedges along the border, a sign of the level of tensions at the frontier where Israel fought a war in 2006 with the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

I found this article on Haaretz. Wanted to see how this is being reported in Israel.

Article

Thanks for the links. Helps to keep things in perspective.

Edit to say: I am keen to know why the IDF are into landscape gardening now! The article also states that it was a Lebanese ambush. The truth just keeps on getting wilder.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
@ Russ... *Snip* Just by telling your "opponent" that they should think before they talk or do proper research or whatever else you're blathering to Orphic does not elevate you above said opponent except in your own mind. To the astute observer, these annoying statements that precede your every post simply reveal the lack of confidence you have in your claims. Your ignorance is quite profound, and your talk of wiping an entire religion out is rather disturbing.

I am Lebanese, and I am Christian, and I have lived among Muslims and some of my greatest friends are Muslims and some of them are more pious and more humble and more faithful to the SAME GOD than you can ever hope to be. I would advise you to do your own research before you speak, and before you condemn a whole religion, just think a bit about what that means. Think about what kinds of prejudices and biases you may have which have been instilled in you through your life up until now. This is how I've come to understand your mockery of an opinion, I can only hope you come to this realization soon before you transfect your views onto other, more gullible people

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Orphic here, with some news.

On NBN (local channel), they showed footage of UNIFIL and Lebanese soldiers yelling at the crane to stop advancing near the fence, after they wouldn't stop, the camera turned to the crane and u start hearing shots being fired, whether those were warning shots or kill shots I cannot say, as the footage stopped there.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOrphic

Thanks for keeping us up to date from Lebanon.
No sign of that footage in the UK yet.
I hope the reports that the situation is now calmed down are true.
Stay safe

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOrphic

Slightly off topic, but how is the situation regarding the newly found oil and gas reserves being played at the moment? It is a story not covered in UK media and has been mentioned once or twice on ATS.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Just found a 15minute news report on the incident here:

www.liveleak.com...

Its PressTV,which I think is Iranian Government run(?)if I remember correctly,so there maybe a bias-not had time to view it yet myself,buffering...slow connection...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No according to Isreal, Iran was behind the bomb attack the other day.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Indeed.

Thanks for the links. Helps to keep things in perspective.

No problem.

Edit to say: I am keen to know why the IDF are into landscape gardening now! The article also states that it was a Lebanese ambush. The truth just keeps on getting wilder.

I can't imagine an Israeli M-16 being useful for planting a flowerbed, let's put it that way.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by russ212
This is a very controversal thread, and Iunderstand that people let their temper get the better of them from time to time, including me.

I am highly disturbed by the amount of antisemitism on this board. It is easy for people to take sides, but we are blaming whole populations of people for acts that they can not control. Myself included.

The only way to prevent these types of situations, is for both sides to be willing to be open to free dialogue and drop their pride. This is a very sad situation for everyone that lives in the Middle East. But everyone in the world seems to be throwing fuel on the fire.

I agree with you.

But then why does Israel build walls.
Why does it implement blockades.
Why does it stop and board ships from other nations.
Why does it sneak about in other countries pretending to be somebody else while it murders people.
Why does it not follow instructions from UN
Why does Israel not stop stealing land to build settlements despite being asked to by it's friends such as USA.

Just asking.

I don't see any other ME country doing these sorts of things.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Why isn't that big troll russ212 banned?

Enough with the trolling and the ``let's nuke all arabs`` BS warmongering.

I say ban him.

I ignore it, the thread would be unreadable if I had to plough through all it's turgid hate filled propaganda, seriously we should all just ignore it.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join