It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a U2U warning without specified cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hi,

I just got a warning for my thread "Failure to Obey in America". Its the first warning Ive ever got after three years on the site. So naturally, Im wondering what the reason was for it. So Ive tried to find out!

There is no information about the reason in the U2U message. There is none of my posts removed in the thread as far as I can see. So Im kind of at a loss of what happened here?

If you are going to warn people, I think it would be a good idea to tell them what they are being warned about, dont you?

Unless someone can tell me what rule I broke, Im unable to learn from this at all.

Thanks guys.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Maybe you got a warning because you posted a private U2U in your thread??

That's another 500 for ya....

But did you actually ask the moderator why?

Peace

[edit on 3-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Just wanted to be helpful to the mods so they could investigate this.

But thanks for the info, I have removed it....

I have not asked the moderator why since the mail said "Do not respond to this mail". Also I want this to become a public issue in case the thread just upset the specific moderator due to its content of bashing the police, which is one possibility.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If you click the warn flag it will show you the post in question.

In this case it seems to be a simple profanity/decorum warning. No harm done, just keep your potty mouth in check.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Did it say who warned you? Maybe your should U2U a mod and ask directly.

I would want to know too, for the same reason. If I did something bad enough to get a warn, I would probably want to be able to avoid doing it again. I enjoy ATS.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Loki

Ah OK. Didnt know that.

Its the post where I typed the f-word using a dash in the middle so it would not be the actual word. But I understand why the warning was issued anyway.

Illusionsaregrander: Dont ever swear.

Thanks to everybody for clearing this up!

Friendly suggestion for forum improvement: Include warning message in mail.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Don't feel bad i had a post removed 9 months after i made the post.

I still don't understand that one.

What was so wrong that no one caught it for 9 months

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
I have not asked the moderator why since the mail said "Do not respond to this mail".

Glad to see the issue has been figured out already, but I thought I'd respond to this bit in case it's helpful to someone.

The explanation I've seen mods give several times for the "Do not respond to this message" bit in a warning u2u is that it is an automatically generated message and if you just hit the "reply" button it won't be addressed right to go to anyone. The message should always also include the name of the moderator who took the action, and you can u2u them directly to ask.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I find that a few mods tend to warn people simply because they don't like what was said. As an example, (and not relating to a specific incident at all) Semperfortis might read a comment and laugh but Ashley D dislikes it and dings you. (Not speaking ill of either Mod, and I've never been dinged by them. Just using their names off the top of my head.

My real issue with that is the lack of consistency. I had a signature line that said something about ape taint. It was up for nearly six months until 1 mod saw it and removed my posts in a thread they were modding. This in and of itself always made me believe that it wasn't the sig that bothered them, it was what I was saying in the thread, but they couldn't hit me for it cause I was following the T&C's. Seemed pretty petty to me.

The worse part is that there is no oversight. A mod's word is the Eleventh Commandment like they were Jehovah's mentor. I can complain, argue, debate and reason on the U2U but if they don't eventually agree (which they have yet to do) then I'm just boned. I can't take it to anyone else, no higher mod, no quorum of mods, not even the admins. It's like "hmm, suck it valued member."

Of course my complaint isn't ATS specific, but I will say mods on forums are a lot like cops. You've got a lot of them that do their job admirably and fairly and you never deal with them, but then you got those bottom feeders that were picked on in high school, now they think they have a little bit of power and they freak out. Quite sad really, and they give the rest of the group a bad rap.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
If you click the warn flag it will show you the post in question.

In this case it seems to be a simple profanity/decorum warning. No harm done, just keep your potty mouth in check.

That is ridiculous. Sorry but I have seen quite a few regular members do a lot worse in threads repeatedly and not get anything for it. I have even alerted to some of it and they are still there. Lately it seems someone is going a little insane with the moderating of little things like this yet the bigger things people do are ignored. Oh well I guess.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
It says profanity removed from the opening post

Did you perhaps use some colourful language there?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I know what you mean, people going round making ad hominem attacks on other members with no ramifications whatsoever.

JAK

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Glad the matter is clear. I should mention here that staff do try to include a message in edited posts explaining why the edit was required. This serves a number of purposes: Hopefully it benefits the member who will understand how to avoid the situation again while perhaps serving as a gentle reminder to other members and offering understanding for newer members who may be unaware of certain T&C matters. It is for that reason that members are asked not to edit staff comments posted left.

For future reference if any member is genuinely unsure why a particular post of theirs has been the recipient of staff attention then a polite U2U to the Mod concerned or politely* enquiring through the ATS Suggestions/Complaints Form (which alerts all staff members to a particular issue) can be the way to go for clarification.

*Please note the mention of politeness, it is greatly appreciated:

Members are encouraged to provide frank and honest feedback to forum staff. However, please be realistic, juvenile rantings about "nazis" staff will be ignored.

As this matter has been resolved, thread closed.

[edit on 3/8/10 by JAK]

join