It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When does it all end?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
No...this is not another "end of the world" thread by any means.

This is a post asking "When does it end for you?"

Please permit me to go on a bit of a ramble...

Have you always been one who thinks differently? One who believes in the possibility in the strange, the bizarre, the implausible, the impossible? Has the continuation of such individual thought patterns been friend or foe to all of us?

Obviously people who flock here, who question, who theorize...we are a fairly strange breed to those we'd consider "normal", the sheep for lack of a better term. Often we boost ourselves above such people, for WE question...we are awake while they dream...or is it the other way around?

We all in one sense or another like to think of ourselves as a bit of a Fox Mulder character, learning as much as we can about the strange, impossible, how the world "actually" works rather than what we are led to believe. Working toward the truth. But what truths to we seek? Endless truths I suppose, though I suspect we all have a bit of a specialty.

They call us nuts, conspiracy theorists, belittle us constantly for questioning what reality truly is, or at least what we can understand of it.

What is your plan for your own becoming? Will you search as far and wide as you possibly can, to the ends of the earth to know, to prove to others you knew? Will you write a book on a particular subject? Will the world finally take you seriously? Not likely. You and I will likely sit behind the glow of the computer spouting half assed theories that in the end, will never mean anything to humanity as a whole, true or not. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone here and everything I read to a point, but the act of posting with each other only increases our own self imposed "insanity" to the rest of the world.

Every day we post and read about the latest UFO video, or the latest threat from North Korea, how we are being fooled by the media, the government, increasing our fear and our knowledge all at once. And I love it, personally, as I'm sure most of you do as well...but everything has to come to a point, and end point, at sometime. Maybe that's why we all love the end of the world theories so much.

I often wonder how different my life, my mentality, would be if I were not one of us. Would being one of those sheep be so very bad? To take the world as fact, not fiction, to be content with what is rather than what I view what could be. Sometimes I get so bound up in my head by everything I read, I fear, I wonder about that I just want to end it to get away from all of this. Of course in reality I won't, or rather don't plan on it, but the extent to which we collectively gather and discuss all of these terrible possibilities, overanalyze, or at least I do...the thought has crossed my mind.

The gauge of possibility, of what could be rather than what we are led to believe, or forced to, that is what keeps us going I suppose. I get so sick of thinking the way I do, and crave more and more every single day. In one sense, I do truly want to discover, to learn as much as I am able of what is possible, what are the lies, what are the truths...but in another, I ponder the old saying "Ignorance is Bliss".

Will you trek on toward the beyond as long as you live, are able, or will you one day be glad to grow up and join the ranks of society as it is ignoring individuals like ourselves, de-evolving into normality?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
This is a post asking "When does it end for you?"

28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds

Just joking. But more seriously, personally I would quote Richard Bach:

"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't."

Will you trek on toward the beyond as long as you live, are able, or will you one day be glad to grow up and join the ranks of society as it is ignoring individuals like ourselves, de-evolving into normality?

I don't know how old you are, but it is always a common illusion among the younger generations that one must "make a choice," between two binary extremes of wild-eyed seeker and buttoned-down cubicle-dweller or what have you. One of the pleasures of growing a bit older is discovering that the two are not mutually exclusive. One can be a responsible, "normal" looking member of society outwards and entertain all kinds of freakish notions inside. And in fact, its almost frighteningly common how often this is the case...

"Normality" is often nothing more than survival in a modest, non-flashy way. What goes on in a person's own skull or behind closed doors is not necessarily so drab. So it's perfectly possible to look like a sheep and think like a wolf...or a sea-cucumber, for that matter.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I believe that I think outside the norm, but that everyone is capable of making thoughts like mine. It's rather simple really. It all begins and ends in my mind. The world did not exist until I was born. It will most likely cease to exist when I die. It does not matter that anyone can show me pictures of things before my time, or talk about future goals or events beyond my time. These are mere fabrications of the universe itself, something that did not/could not exist without perception. I can never bridge the gap between my thoughts and yours, experience what you did, or know what is truly in your heart. The sooner you can discover this, and build from that, will you truly begin to understand your purpose. In the end, you either remain true to yourself, or you lie to yourself. Which would you like? The choice is yours.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

"Normality" is often nothing more than survival in a modest, non-flashy way. What goes on in a person's own skull or behind closed doors is not necessarily so drab. So it's perfectly possible to look like a sheep and think like a wolf...or a sea-cucumber, for that matter.

Oh, you have me a bit wrong here...I am exactly that...a wolf in sheep's clothing. I should have explain in a bit more detail that I was referring to the mental aspect...trek on into the abyss of thought or give in and let it go. Not in the sense that one would lack thinking outside the box, but rather try to lessen such thoughts if possible. To limit the amount of time spent in thought in what could be rather than what one can enjoy in more...average ways. Or in other words taking most of what is on this forum a whole lot less serious than many of us do.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by FrostForests]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

Well, I think if you have a certain mindset and take care, you will never lose you human curiosity. And it is curiosity that motivates the "trek into the beyond."

Another thing...people go in cycles. Sometimes one feels more exploatory and willing to entertain far-out trains of thought. At other times people feel more practical and just hunker down and take care of business. I guess it depends on a lot of factors -- what you have to do to make ends meet, and so on. For a lot of people it seems to be a kind of slow cycle, where at different times in their lives they are willing to entertain speculative ideas and attiudes and at other times they just forget about it all and lose themselves in the mundane pleasures of mind-numbing non-thought. We all need a rest now and then; we all need to alternate between sleep and wakefulness. Just my impression.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Quite insightful. I appreciate the input certainly.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Haha great post man.

I have often thought about that certain topic.

But what I have to say (which fits the "profile") I doubt life will continue normally long enough for me to have to join the 'ranks of society'

Essentially we are all 'sheep'. The only difference between us and normal people is that we know we're being controlled. We all pay for gas, we all eat and drink water that has been tampered with..The list goes on.

Hopefully one day we have the chance to break the chains and walk free.

Good day sir.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The quote below seems relevant to this thread to me. It is from the excellent movie "Waking Life," directed by Richard Linklater. The context is two women in a cafe having a coffe and a general discussion:

Woman A: I mean, while, technically, I 'm closer to the end of my life than I've ever been, I actually feel more than ever that I have all the time in the world. When I was younger, there was a desperation, a desire for certainty, Like there was an end to the path, and I had to get there.

Woman B: I know what you mean because I can remember thinking, "Oh, someday, like in my mid-thirties maybe, everything's going to just somehow jell and settle, just end." It was like there was this plateau, and it was waiting for me, and I was climbing up it, and when I got to the top, all growth and change would stop. Even exhilaration. But that hasn't happened like that, thank goodness.

Woman A: I think that what we don't take into account when we're young is our endless curiosity. That's what's so great about being human.

top topics

join