It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheat prices explode; biggest one-month leap since 1973

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Teh wolf is at teh door. Looks like the news from Russia and Canada, among other major producers, isn't so great this year.

I am truly dreading a possible replay of the food spike of '08 . For those of you in developed nations, that might mean a little belt-tightening and some grumbling at the cash register. For the vast majority of humanity who live in some degree or another of abject poverty, it might make the difference between life and death. If things get out of hand, expect to see riots, empty shelves, and hoarding across the grungier of our poor old planet...something that happened not all that long ago but has largely been forgotten by ATS.

Wheat put in its biggest gain for one month since 1973 during this past month of July, 2010. Traders finally became believers in the Russian drought and scrambled to exit shorts and get long the market, and in the process pushed wheat prices to new 13-month highs.

The drought has intensified across Russia and spreading deep into Kazakhstan and into eastern Ukraine...

Rumors flew around the marketplace this week about Russia shutting down exports, or at least sharply curtailing them....

More at source:
www.agriculture.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
ugh not again! I cant take our grocery bills doubling again. Atleast my husband is gluten free!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
No kidding!

I live in Calgary and I have noticed about 210% spike this past month..I knew something was up.

Slowly but surely things will start happening.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Well, I am going to suggest a conspiracy here. Not on a conspiracy site?

Alright, with everything that has happened this year, like the gulf and the drought, everything and it's sister is going to be blamed on the continuing the bad economy. Prices are going to start heading north and things are going to be blamed on that.

The economy has not grown 2.3% in GDP. That is a fallacy. Misdirection. Oooh, they dumped tons of fiat currency into the economy and that is supposed to mean something was actually created. I refer it to the gas on green wood analogy, yep, try and start a fire on green wood (bad fundamental economy) with gasoline (fiat infusion). Looks really nice for about 30 seconds.

The economy is fundamentally flawed in the US. The productive private sector has been decimated. The private sector can no longer support the monstrous public sector. Yes, I suppose if they foment the policies of the GD, things can be maintained for a couple more years. Raiding private assets to pay the government largesse, but that only furthers the problem, and if they take that route, I think they better remember that a HUGE part of the 2009 economy was gun sales.

We have had a couple threads this year on the possible food shortages to come. Purposeful, one would begin to wonder.

I wonder if Moscow had luck with the weather manipulation they tried this past winter? Remember the statements made?

It seems like the US is getting more rain than normal, it could be just my area though.

Anyway, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Lindsey Williams said earlier this year and last that there would be food on American shelves but it would be to expensive to buy.
He was accurate about the price of oil over the last several years.
He was also accurate about much of the BP spill before anyome else too..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This is going to get worse.

I'm reading a book called "New deal or Raw deal" about FDR's approach to the Great Depression.

Food shortages was on of the topics. Peoples health and lives were shortened. Dring the time he was in office.

IMO it will only get worse by 2013. Our governemnt that says you cant waste a good opportunity to pass something you normaly could not.. People will be on there hands and knees asking for help. And our Government will steep in and grasp the opportunity.

IMO Food is the last part of the NWO's plan

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I believe this is nothing more than the newest wave in hedges.

When one market bubbles, you see money moved into a commodity as a hedge. Wheat is this years pick. Usually it is oil, but in the current economy if they moved to oil it would bring about serious issues. So they are hedging in wheat.

DeRothschild had already started buying up water and food sources. This is a logical step for those who are smart enough to know that when TSHTF, those who own basic life needs are the ones who have sustainable investments.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
We singlehandedly caused the riots of '08: www.abovetopsecret.com... So I suggest you switch to rice: www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
In Saskatchewan this year, it rained, and rained, and rained.
It's still raining almost every day. The fields out here, for the most part, look terrible. Wet and big patches of mud.

Where I live is usually mostly Canola, normally bright yellow fields this year have big patches of mud, or lakes in them. Even gardens got too muddy to bother planting. Mine is on my porch in containers this year.

Not a good year for food production.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think it is between what BIg Tex and Snow Spirit have said.
weather and hedges

There is a company that uses solar and lunar data to forcast the weather trends. Apparantly they are the only ones who are consistantly correct.
They sell their data to corporations and individualls who can pay...
Who then hedge.

news.suite101.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Don't forget about u99

The poor will perish, food riots, anarchy, etc, etc..

top topics

join