It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Waning support for Obama on wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Article

WASHINGTON — Public support for President Obama's Afghanistan war policy has plummeted amid a rising U.S. death toll and the unauthorized release of classified military documents, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll shows.

Support for Obama's management of the war fell to 36%, down from 48% in a February poll. Now, a record 43% also say it was a mistake to go to war there after the terrorist attacks in 2001.

The decline in support contributed to the lowest approval ratings of Obama's presidency. Amid a lengthy recession, more Americans support his handling of the economy (39%) than the war.

"It's hard to find any positive news that would boost public opinion," says Richard Eichenberg of Tufts University, who studies presidential polling and foreign policy.

For one, I dont put too much trust into "Polls", but personally, I do believe this poll seems somewhat accurate. I wouldnt say it's just Obama, but the entire government, including the past few years.

Support for the managment of the war was 48% in February, and now it's 36%. Thats seems like a pretty big decline in that amount of time. Plus 43% say it was a mistake to go to war.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Thats encouraging. Nice thread.

I love to read polls like that. It only offers me more assurance that Americans are being shaken awake out of our spending induced trance into something approximating reality.

Not that I am picking on Obama only. But our politicians in both parties have betrayed us, and failed to do their jobs. I hope my fellow Americans fire them all, beginning this November.

All incumbents out at the very least, preferably, all Dems and Republicans out in favor of third parties.

Send them a strong message people. Whatever you choose.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I to, would say that this poll does encourage me. It seems that more and more people are waking up and understanding how pointless the war is. Some are even waking up and seeing what the government really is.

The Dutch have just left Afghanistan a few days ago, and Canada is next on the list in 2011, then Poland after Canada. After a few countries leave and the US is all alone, Im hoping the US citizens wont stand for the war at all anymore.

Obama has 36% support, while 64% dont support it, atleast in the poll. Still, thats a pretty big difference.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yep! I agree it is a good sign. I was one of the ones that woke up a few years ago and it hit me hard! Glad to see others are starting to 'get it'.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Im hoping polls like this make it on to the evening news and into the homes of most Americans. Most of us on ATS have known for a long time that the war is pointless, but it has been taking the average US citizen longer to see. Im guessing this poll wont make it anywhere other than here and maybe a few other sites on the internet, but wont go any farther.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I always wanted to operate a poll. Here is how I would go about asking this component.

Do you know what the reasoning is that we initially went to war on Afghanistan?

What is the current reasoning behind staying in Afghanistan?

Do you believe in pre emptive war?

Then I would ask the final question, do you back the Obama Administration, Congress and the rest of the current government's position on the continued wars throughout the world?

If the people you are asking the questions of, cannot even articulate an answer to the first three questions, how can you say that your poll means anything?

It is like asking me if I think the latest American Idol contestants are any good. No relevance since I despise the show. If I wanted to listen to karaoke, I would go to the ***** club on Wednesday night, I do a whacked Disturbed song.

I am HOPING the American people are beginning to see the problems with interventionalism, but I fear that the majority of folk only believe what their propaganda tube tells them to believe. Maybe people are seeing the evils of pre emptive war, interventionalism and empire. Maybe, maybe not.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This is DANGEROUS...... why ?

False flags are used to manufacture consensus for wars, especially when they're unpopular.

Americans did not want to get involved in WW II. The U.S. used economic sanctions etc. to incite japan to attack. Plenty of evidence suggest that the U.S. Intel community knew in advance of the Attack and did nothing.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I think we have hit the tipping point, endisnighe. You and I dont agree on all issues, but we seem to agree that the US meddling all over the world is a bad policy. I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

But dont you just kinda feel that something has changed? I do. Its hard to put my finger on, but it really feels to me like public sentiment is really turning. In a profound way, and things are going to have to change.

I think the PTB have really overreached and they are about to get a serious smack down.

Hopefully the feeling is indicative of that, and not just gas or something.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Well, this is where I find some people's views to be incongruent.

Yes, I believe the US and their allies with the UN to be completely the wrong avenue of approach. 130+countries 700+military bases (Ron Paul has actually said lately 800+ but I do not know where he gets that information) all over the world.

I attempted a thread awhile back showing the problems with individualism vs collectivism. I wrote it in only about 20 minutes and did not go into to many details and did not make a very good argument.

BUT, that was awhile ago and now I have a perfect analogy, the global economy and the attempted control of the entire system.

I like to refer that to the macro and use individual countries as the micro. I hate to use Beck but I have to reference the source. I do not know if it was his idea or if he got it from someone else.

Mutually assured economic destruction. It almost seems like that this was a planned strategy of the globalists. Also, using the most profitable economic structure to fund this move was actually pretty brilliant on their part. You cannot have one hugely successful country when others were worse off, this way you do two of your agendas with the same stone so to speak.

And yes, the US has to return to it's national borders. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

How can a country learn to become free if you attempt to force it there, it is impossible.

A great sci fi book EON and it's storyline is a great analogy to this supposition. One of the best alternate timeline books I have read. Where people of the future faced the big death and because of this went and created something grand. Now they come back in time and stop the big death from occurring in another timeline, hence, the paradox of attempting to teach a people that did not experience the same parameters.

Now, of course our country and our ideals, IMO have been twisted over the last 100 years, but we still study our tribulations and attempt to emulate them.

Anyway, yes, there is to be a change I believe. Things are not going quite to plan I suspect. I am also thinking or hoping that my suspicion that SOMETHING has gone on behind the scenes.

Albeit to say, I am hoping the de jure government is going to replace our current de facto government. Just got to keep everyone focused on freedom and liberty, not control.

Our fight is not with those that are different, just those that are totalitarians.
IMO.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I sure lost respect for Obama when he didn't end the US involvement in the Iraqi/Afghan wars. He said he would end it and it's been 2 years now. I imagine once he got in TPTB told him, "You aint ending nothing Jack".

top topics

join