It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food For Thought: Meat-Based Diet Made Us Smarter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

How's that for a book title? I'll have to hook up with an anthropologist to co-author the theory. Unless it's already been formulated, of course. Has it? Has anyone proposed that Fire and Meat created Humanity?

Obvious joke about you shilling books aside, that idea isn't a new one by any stretch of the imagination. Hence the traditional image of "the first men" sitting around a fire with a recently killed mammoth, meaning fire and cooked meat were the signs of man's arrival.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Great thread Star and Flag!

I'm looking forward to my thick cut T-bone steak on Thursday night even more. I know I'll be doing my ancestors proud.

Hopefully it won't be from one of these cloned cows that are making an appearance on UK farms. Our ancestors didn't eat meat so we could start messing around with that stuff!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
To everyone who helped clarify matters for me - thanks guys. I see the point I missed first time round now...

Hahah maybe the lack of meat in my diet HAS had an effect afterall

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Anyone ever read 'And The Beginning Was the End' by Oskar Kiss Maerth ?

Fascinating. Hard to get hold of, though

It was too much for the world to stomach, however. Too much truth to it. And it didn't reflect all that well on humans

Kiss Maerth's theory, based on the millions of smashed skulls uncovered for hundreds of years, is that the 'missing link' was in fact cannibalism - specifically the consumption of human brains

As many will be aware, science has tested the theory on rats. First the rats were put through a series of mazes. Those who were superior at the task were of course the smartest. So they were killed and their brains removed. The brains were then placed in a cetrafuge and the extract fed to other rats. Who were themselves put through a maze alongside control-rats who hadn't been fed the brain-extract of the earlier generation of smarter-rats

Result: those rats fed the brain extract of smart rats performed far better at the maze and other tasks than did the control rats

Scientists played around with this for a while, and announced that consumption of brain matter, particularly that of proven smart rats, increased the abilities and intelligence of other rats

So in effect, Kiss Maerth's theory was shown to be correct, in principle, although he was long dead by then

Archaeologists apparently don't go public with the cannibalised remains of our ancient ancestors. The public's sqeamish about cannibalism, very. Maybe because the public is repressing something ?

I seem to remember that scientists ran the same experiments with flat-worms too, with similar results to the rat experiments

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
boingboing.net...

"Other researchers have theorized that eating shellfish was actually the driver that allowed humans to develop the big brains we enjoy today, because shellfish are high in the Omega 3 fatty acids that the brain needs to function. But Marean thinks the big brain came first. You can't just walk down to the beach and score yourself some sweet shellfish action (at least, not enough to sustain a society) without being pretty bright."

like a sea gull? lol!

ok, they might kick me off but this is a link.

i love meats! i am not a veggie, i don't like them.

i am a chef, lol!

but fish is where it all started in the brain.
meat built our bodies.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by fooks]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think some of you have misunderstood the points made in the Expensive Tissue Hypothesis.

Yes, many foods, through their nutrient content, may have directly contributed to evolutionary brain development; however, the hypothesis in the OP points towards an indirect influence. That is, by eliminating the need for a large gut more calories could be devoted to brain development, instead of being primarily used for digestion and stunting brain growth.

link   
[edit on 3-8-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

link   
[edit on 3-8-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
Hence the traditional image of "the first men" sitting around a fire with a recently killed mammoth, meaning fire and cooked meat were the signs of man's arrival.

No, you're coming into the story 7 million years AFTER I started it. And drop the "shill" BS, because the admins want you to stop it.

I'm saying that fire and meat CREATED our carnivorous ancestors, long, long ages before we were shuffling around on two legs. A steady diet of cooked veggies and bugs and meat contributed to our ancestors' (little scavenger mammal critters) rapid neural evolution. They would live around the volcanoes, eating the cooked meat, maybe even — wow, think of this — dragging their kills to the fire because they know down in their genes that the hot meat is HEALTHIER than the raw meat. Sure enough, those who eat the parasite-&-bacteria-purged flesh grow bigger, stronger and live longer. Hm.

I know, I used to be one of those "Oh, it was seafood that created humans" believers, but something just didn't fly... Yeah, you see primates living and eating at the seashore. But WHERE, among all the other primates, do you see SMOKE BREATHING?

Smoke Breathing.

Damn. We LIKE the smell of smoke. We humans are DRAWN to smoke, while other animals flee. We LIKE smoke. We LOVE smoke. We love it so much that we started drying out various grasses and leaves and started smoking them.

Humans SMOKE.

No other animal naturally smokes. In their natural environment, nearly all animate life FLEES from smoke.

The only creatures that I think sorta emulate this action are the extremophiles way down in the oceanic abyss who breathe and eat hydrogen sulfide from the volcanically-powered black smokers.

Up topside, however, we're pretty much the only weirdos on the block who ENJOY breathing smoke.

Where do you think we picked up that trait, as a species? Hm.

I think we picked it up because our specific ancestors at one time scavenged for COOKED MEAT around the very smoky and smelly volcanoes.

Barbecue Apes

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I think we picked it up because our specific ancestors at one time scavenged for COOKED MEAT around the very smoky and smelly volcanoes.

Great post, Doc

covers a lot of very interesting ground and entertaining !!

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
Great post, Doc

covers a lot of very interesting ground and entertaining !!

I know, it was very cinematic, wasn't it? Somebody out there make the movie. And at least give me a third or fourth credit for the theory.

Frankly, I haven't heard ANYBODY ELSE EVER propose that we humans are Barbecue Apes.

Okay, I guess I'm off to write the book.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Unlikely, given the scarcity of fire and the lneed for those animals to be essentially tool-using creatures. You need evidence to propose a theory like that. Until then, it's just story.

But, you know, good luck with the books and all. I'm sure someone will be bored enough to buy one. And then we'll see a flood of threads here about the latest conspiracy, all supported by "some guy who wrote a book about it", because, you know, why would he write a book about it if there wasn't evidence?

[edit on 8/3/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Meat isn't bad for you, never was and never will be. What is bad for you is the meat industry. You can cook all the hamburgers you want, but someday you're going to have to remove your head from the sand.

The abuse the animals go through is tremendously haunting and downright depraved. Also, with the amount of chemicals and toxins that go into meat, there should be some kind of human rights watch with how the industry is killing meat eaters. But I guess karma is a bitch huh? Eat meat and die.

I recommend checking out my other thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Take note. That does not mean more meat will make you more smart. It means the chemical make up of meat is easier to transform into brain power.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just more mindless lies for beings looking for ways to defend their right to eat meat when meat is single-handedly responsible for most of the digestive and degenerative diseases that exist today including colon cancer, Crohn's disease, heart disease, premature-aging, and pre-mature death, but no one can convince any of the mindless, biased meat-eaters out there of the real truth. Meat didn't make us smarter, it made us dumber. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Think about it: Because raw plant foods are so calorically deficient, to consume enough food to meet energy demands would require almost an entire day of eating

Ya that's why these days instead of rummaging around the forest ALL day for a few kilo's worth of berries and legumes and expending TONS of energy in do so, I go to the super market.

Welcome to the 2010 bird brains.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This could be true. Why not create food on our own that are high in calories. Meat eating for 6 billion people isn't a very environmentally friendly.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I guess this explains also why the lions and tigers, gators and such have such large brains.
And there is talk, that man's present day brain is inferior to, the brain our ancestors had.
And the gigantopithecus, is a contradiction to the little man and homosapien, what did they eat?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

...and as expected, enter the first millitant anti-meat commentator.

Somewhat off-topic, but the thing I have never understood is what business another man's dietary habbits are to anyone aside from that individual. I eat meat, a LOT of meat. I've been on a low carb Atkins diet since Easter and as a result I have dropped 65 lbs and almost 12 inches around the waist. That said, I also have learned to really enjoy those small salads and controlled veggie side dishes and I miss the hell out of fruit. I totally "get" why people like veggies and fruit now. You will not see me rip into people who are vegetarians because it is none of my business whatsoever. You will, however, see me rip into anyone who believes their way should be adopted by everyone and denegrates those who follow a different nutritive path than the one they are espousing.

I simply don't get the logic behind it. I attended a private school for two years which was run by the Seventh Day Adventists. I was not SDA, but I observed them and their ways for those 2 years and was quite fascinated by what I observed. For anyone who doesn't know, the SDA religion actually pushes for a true vegan diet, though it is not mandatory. They do, however, make abstaining from all red meats, pork, and most game mandatory. They "permit" their followers to consume some poultry, dairy, and fish if the member must have meat, but even that is highly discouraged. I was one of only 3 people at the school who were not SDA members. What I observed was interesting to say the least. The majority of the mothers who dropped their kids off at the school were very large women. I do not mean the attractive (at least to me) big beautiful woman type of large, either. They were mostly flat chested, large overhanging belly, dumpy butted women. Those who were not in that category were like Olive Oyl from Popeye... broomsticks with absolutely no feminine curves whatsoever. In other words, their dietary choices did not scream out "I am healthy and well nourished" to me in any way.

If my decision to live largely off of game, fish, and store bought meats causes me to start crapping blood in my 50's and die before I'm 60, so be it. I'd rather enjoy my life while I'm alive than have to constantly keep myself in check for an extended period of life.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
But, you know, good luck with the books and all. I'm sure someone will be bored enough to buy one.

On second thought, you're not worth it.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join