It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: Ex-Hacker Denies Alleged WikiLeaker Gave Him Classified Documents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Update: Ex-Hacker Denies Alleged WikiLeaker Gave Him Classified Documents

www.wired.com

An Army intelligence analyst who is charged with leaking classified documents to the secret-spilling site WikiLeaks also allegedly sent classified documents to the hacker who turned him in to the feds, according to a friend and associate of the hacker who helped connect him with federal agents.

Note: Adrian Lamo has now denied this.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I hope someone from Hollywood is piecing the entire Wikileaks story together because the movie potential has gold. I think Bill Maher could double for Julian Assange :-)
It now looks as though Lamo did not receive actual documents from Manning. He was certainly in contact with Manning, the chat logs and correspondence outline this clearly. Lamo contacted the head of Project Vigilant, which needs its own thread, and asked for advice from Chet Uber (great name). There is conflict with this situation as well since each side seems to be telling a somewhat different story -or- there is just simple miscommunication. Regardless the Lamo/Manning angle has dragged defcon and MIT into this as well. What a ride.

brill

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-8-2010 by brill]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
WOW THATS FREAKING AMAZING

Lamo said he read the documents, I saw in a video, he CLEARLY said, I couldnt read the whole 90.000 ...

man

it looks like manning isnt arrested and he is just an image to the criminal that they dont have

come on!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
He did indeed state something along the lines of not having the time to have read all the documents. This tale becomes more contrived each passing day. I had a conversation with Lamo way back on a different subject (prior to Wikileaks), he is very smart and well spoken. He does suffer from Aspergers syndrome (unfortunately seems like this is the modern day hackers curse) so perhaps this plays a part here. Manning's trial is going to be a media circus with a growing list of players.

brill

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Manning is just a guy the military brought forward on fabricated chat records to try and blackmail wikileaks and change the publics perception.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
in this first video, he clearly says he didnt received the documents

now, on this another video, the woman says, well, you couldnt have read the 90.000 pages to decide if that was a risk or not, and he doesnt that he didnt read

its weird, in this video you can imply that he RECEIVED the documents, since he says he couldnt have read all the pages ... it doesnt make sense, how the hell would he know that those documents were a risk to national security - THATS CRAZY

go to 6 MINUTES

[edit on 2/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Lamo is a huge little squirrel.
always has been.
his "accomplishments" as a 'hacker' are just laughable.
god i cant stand that little puke. lol
such a punk...

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier

Manning is just a guy the military brought forward on fabricated chat records to try and blackmail wikileaks and change the publics perception.

I've been on the fence about a lot regarding wikileaks, but they seem to becoming more and more credible by the day.

Holes in any fabrication are bound to appear - Your suggestion seems very plausible ghostsoldier.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

they picked a guy with some mental disease, so its not going to be hard to get these holes from him ...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier

There could be more here than thought. Manning was involved in 2008 discussing classified material on of all places YouTube. Manning comes of as an attention whore the more this picture gets painted:

source

He does come across as some type of patsy, even his goofy portraits reveal a Richie Cunningham look. Still he seems to have a proven history of causing problems for the military. Why he wasn't placed under closer observation or restricted from classified materials is something only the military can answer to.

brill

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Lamo is a huge little squirrel.
always has been.
his "accomplishments" as a 'hacker' are just laughable.
god i cant stand that little puke. lol
such a punk...

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Ahmose]

I would say hacking the New York Times, Yahoo and Microsoft (to name a few) gives Lamo some hacker credibility. He is skilled but his skills are not really what's at stake here.

brill

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
weird, nobody gave this thread the attention it deserves

it clearly shows inconsistency in his statements ... who knows

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
More breaking Wikileaks news:

Project Vigilant is a Fraud

This possibly proves that Lamo is a lying about Manning. And possibly PROVES that Manning is a patsy.

Even more credibility for WL.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Keep the timeline in mind, guys. Lamo said, he never received any of those (about half a million) military documents or (about 260.000) cables Manning had mentioned in the chat.
The 90.000 (+) messages of the war diary are what Wikileaks published lately. So he said, he had no time to check through the stuff, which was published.

But there is indeed something odd in the charges against Manning:
"...between on or about 19 November 2009 and on or about 24 May 2010..." Manning has communicated 50 classified cables to a person.

Lamo chatted with him from 21 May. So what Uber said could refer to these 50 cables.

Probably this is also the reason, why he did not comment on this on sunday, but had to make sure, he would not want to impede the gouvernment's investigation, before he came back on monday, saying, he never got anything at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

no

they asked him why he thought the material was a risk to national security, so why would he snitch manning

then they asked if he read the documents

he said he wouldnt be able to read it all ...

its weird, I posted the videos ... just watch for yourself, but this guy probably is playing some game we dont know about

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I watched it Faiol,

and I only saw an handicapped person answer to the statement, that he could not have read 90.000 cables to judge this. He only agreed, that he could not have read them.

Nothing to grip in that answer. I still think, he got some more than the chat. And I am still wondering, if he was the bait or the hunter. Until private Manning is not more than a person, others talk about, I would bet, Lamo was rather the bait and still does not know, how he was used.

Ready to change my mind about this, if more news about Manning come to the surface.

top topics

join