It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
No viewing here in central new york, socked in with heavy clouds. Was kind of looking forward to seeing the light show.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Various reports are confusing LOL I dont think they really know but being a former cell phone technician I do look for some "air wave" outages from the magnetic force field entry and most report that Northern US will be viewable Auroras possibly tonight and or tomarrow night?

ireport.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

I totally agree with you.. very well said..!!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Im in Ohio and we are variable cloudiness going out now to upper deck! WIsh me luck!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Alaska reporting in.

The sun is just now setting and we have clear skies. I had this afternoon off and spent the day on the deck catching some rays and reading. The sun was Uber bright today. Even with sunglasses on all day my eyes are fried tonight.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

The peak activity should be north of the Great Lakes about now, pretty far north. You've got a few hours to go.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
58 degrees N. Latitude. We don't have a problem with city lights where I'm at so it should be a good show. I've missed the Northern lights, we haven't seen may in the last couple of years. I have however seen some amazing aurora shows in AK. The sky up here is incredible. One of the best things about AK.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Argh, clouds are moving in. It's just now starting to get dark enough to see the lights. Nothing yet tho.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tylerdurden89
I don't think we need to worry much...this is only going to temporarily disrupt communications systems like radio and cell phone coverage.

The wave may damage solar panels though, that is a good point.

The sun would have to literally explode in order for Earth to be in grave danger.

i dont think you understand what millions of tons of hot plasma and charged particals can do. imagine what the rays, heat and energy directly hitting the earth would do

i am a beleiver of a theroy that earth has been impacted before by these releases and is the cause of extintions in the past

i also beleive that the sun under certain circumstances can increase or decrease the amount of electromagnetic protection the earth has through a process not yet understood by humans

the sun creates a wide spectrum of energy in the form of waves some types we cannot yet measure and these undetectable waves travel through the earth creating a simpathetic or induced feild in our earths core this in turn directly effects the magnetosphere and the protection the earth has from the radiation from the sun

when these undetectable waves are low in streanght and there is a large CME then we get toasted

XPLodER

note speculation and theory is used in the above statement
no offence intended

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Argh, clouds are moving in. It's just now starting to get dark enough to see the lights. Nothing yet tho.

I am in Ohio and unsure if I had seen some "heat lightening" or an Aurora, it was green but only viewable for a few seconds as I am in Ohio low elevation and partial cloudiness. Hope you are being more successful.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

Originally posted by tylerdurden89

i also beleive that the sun under certain circumstances can increase or decrease the amount of electromagnetic protection the earth has through a process not yet understood by humans

Agreed as it would be impossible to have complete infinite knowledge of our solar system. Maybe the mechanics of it but not everything there is to know.
I have read so many alternating reports even some now mentioning potential power grid outages could happen in Britian? As there are two back to back yet simultaneously. This should be interesting and always hopeful for non catastrophic.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I have heard NOTHING on local news about this. Given the unknowns regarding satellites, power grids, etc... you'd think they'd at least MENTION it! Strikes me as negligent (just like them rattling on incessently about the Flotilla issue but failing to mention the pressure-cooker situation brewing around Iran -- Israel & US as Joint Chefs of Wrath.)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This is like an extended version of the 2012 movie

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hi peeps,,,,Yorkshire uk here, i stayed awake till about 4.00am could'nt see naff jack...too cloudy.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The sun is beginning to wake up now, not "sometime around 2013". "Unprecedented levels of magnetic activity" are not expected.

It does seem that once again the Sun is waking up, but again you are wrong when claiming that "unprecedented levels of magnetic activity are not expected. Since you were talking about 2013 i take you are claiming that by then there won't be any unprecedented levels of solar activity. If that is the case Phage once AGAIN you are wrong.

The next maximum of seismic and volcanic activity with very high amplitude for the compression zones of Earth is forecasted for the period 2012-2015.

www.khalilov.biz...

Oh, and who is the real scientist who wrote the excerpted text above?...

Dr.Prof. Elchin Khalilov (Azerbaijani: Elçin Xəlilov (born On April, 26th 1959, Baku, Azerbaijan) is a famous scientist in the sphere of geodynamics, seismology and tectonics.

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the recent activity? Meanwhile it is nothing too unusual it does affect us in many ways despite the claims of Phage.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
wow...this is messed up how short our responses have to be...

(continued)

For example...

Solar and geomagnetic activity, extremely low frequency magnetic and electric fields and human health at the Earth's surface

Link

and

Solar activity as a triggering mechanism for earthquakes

John F. Simpsona, b

a Goodyear Aerospace Corporation, USA

b University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, USA

Received 7 November 1967; revised 16 December 1967. Available online 28 October 2002.

Abstract

Man I hate the new changes where we can barely excerpt anything...

Solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the triggering of earthquakes. Maximum quake frequency occurs at times of moderately high and fluctuating solar activity.

linkinghub.elsevier.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Phage knows very well that I can show dozens upon dozens of research that say the contrary to the claims he likes to make.

Here is link with many examples of peer-reviewed research that shows solar activity not only affect us physically and mentally, but also affect seismic and magmatic activity on Earth.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW, take a look at how many earthquakes we have had in the last few hours.

www.iris.edu...

Originally posted by Phage
Don't use the Telegraph for news. Not science related at least. Sensationalistic garbage.

Don't use Phage either if you want to find out the truth. Sorry Phage but it is the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the triggering of earthquakes. Maximum quake frequency occurs at times of moderately high and fluctuating solar activity.

266 out of 366 days with no sunspots.

1948 earthquakes with a magnitude of 5.0+

260 out of 365 days with no sunspots.

1935 earthquakes with a magnitude of 5.0+

(As of June 26 2010)

35 out of 176 days with no sunspots

725 earthquakes with a magnitude of 5.0+

Calculating a rough projection (doubling the figures) for 2010 we get...

70 out of 343 days with no sunspots

1450 earthquakes with a magnitude of 5.0+

Sources:

science.nasa.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.spaceweather.com...

Cold hard figures don't lie.

[edit on 4/8/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Cold hard figures don't lie.

Peer-reviewed research by several scientists is more accurate than your feeble attempt at dismissing the evidence I presented....

BTW, it would do you ggod to learn how to understand what you read because you seem not able to do so.

www.khalilov.biz...

www.springerlink.com...

www.springerlink.com...

www.springerlink.com...

hal.archives-ouvertes.fr...

www.sciencedaily.com...

You even excerpted part of what I posted yet you are obviously not able to understand what is being said in this research...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
BTW, take a look at how many earthquakes we have had in the last few hours.

And your point is...?

12 in 10 hours for today so far. (mag 2.5+)

26 for the 3rd

19 for the 2nd

33 for the 1st

19 for the 31st

35 for the 30th

66 for the 29th

19 for the 28th

earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join