It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

the magnetosphere is projected from the poles of the earth and the incoming energy is disapated or redirected inline with the magnetic lines of force this carries extra energy to the poles and to earth increasing the amount of energy stored as capacitence in the earth creatining an effect on the atmosphere being increased release of earth to space lightning which can effect the upper atmosphere

on haarp the increse in solar activity would provide a unique opertunity to study weather patterens and the influence on lower level systems this could provide a small change in climate as i beleive the magneto/atmosphere and earth weather systems are connected to avaliable capasatence in the earth which would be altered by large solar events

no this cme is not considered large in the scheme of things but would provide interesting study

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know u mean well but if I see one more tread on her that is total hyperbole or in CAPS or has !!! on it, I'm gonna puke. FGDCS(For Goddamn Christs Sake)[Coined here bitches] is this all ATS has come to! Quit seizing every Drudge headline for a REVALATION! # happens. Deal with
it We're all gonna die, just like every other generation b4 us. Of old age. Or violently. Even if the Aliens come or Jesus. We will die. I believe in eternity or the soul and all that # but we have to die to get there. Quit ur stupid # of fear mongering of every little wave or solar flare. Get right with Jesus and you won't fear.

I didn't think we were all going to die, but thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzo
has anyone considered this in a metaphysical way? if the sun is the physical representation of god, then what does that make this? a big hug from god?

Tony this morning I was wondering if flares like this can affect us mentally, like some suggest a full moon affects or moods.

Yesterday I was in a hyper mood and still this morning.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

"Sprites", "Blue jets", and "elves" are the names used for lightninglike effects observed upward of thunderstorms. Sprites reach the highest levels (95km), not quite what is considered "space". They are always associated with thunderstorm activity, not geomagnetic activity.

Geomagnetic activity does not "charge" the Earth with "energy". The "energy" which is directed toward the poles is actually charged particles. When those particles encounter neutral particles in the upper atmosphere they give up their energy in the form of light. That light is what we know as the aurora. The energy does not reach Earth's surface and it does not get "stored".

Yes, HAARP studies the effects of solar activity on the ionosphere. No, HAARP does not study the troposphere where weather occurs. There is very little evidence that the magnetosphere or the ionosphere has any effect on weather. There are 10s of miles of between the ionosphere and the troposphere and not much to connect one to the other.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for posting your info and experiences, it will be interesting to see what transpires tonight,

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The solar wind has taken a strong southward turn. If it lasts the aurora could show up at lower latitudes.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The solar wind has taken a strong southward turn. If it lasts the aurora could show up at lower latitudes.

As in Greece maybe?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

No.
As in southern Canada.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Really, TY, how low we talking about and what time?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

OK you answered my above question, TY

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Sorry. No predictions from me on that. Too many ifs.
But the GOES magnetometer seems to be showing the effects of the turn.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

alrighty phage u seem to def no ur sh.t am i gonna enjoy amazing northern lights tonite or is this a new fad that will be dead by dawn

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

Don't hold your breath.

I doubt it's going to be anything very spectacular but if you're in timber wolf and grizzly bear country you might get a show.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would have to say that it has arrived.

www2.nict.go.jp...

www2.nict.go.jp...

I hope that the clouds recide in my area (just south of Montreal) by tonight, it should be quite a show.

trinity369

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Alethea
Does anyone know how this might affect solar panels?
Will it damage them, or will it charge faster in less time?

That's a good question too.

The panels utilize the light, not the magnetic waves, so it will not affect the charging. Some say it is just bunk about the effect, but if I had panels I would cover them up for that day, just to be safe. We are experiencing really weird global weather, and unprecedented solar weather right now. I don't think anyone can make assertions that are not arrogant and condescending right now. You want to stop all electric current from what I understand. That is how you supposedly guard against NEMP.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Gregarious]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
[edit on 043131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by trinity369

Kp index now 5. G1 (minor) storm level.
That southward turn did it.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by trinity369

2 things, Do you think we will have any chance of seeing them in SW Missouri?

And, December 21, 2012 is pretty close to 2013!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
as a scientist, i can tell you one thing
Get your camera ready
this will be a amazing moment of romance and art from the galaxy

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by thewanger

I didn't think we were all going to die, but thanks for posting.

There can be only one. And even I will someday die...

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join