It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I was wondering what was going on, my tv was pixelating a little last night, guess that must of been it. Wonder if it'll be worse tonight?
Hopefully it'll be clear tonight, would love to see the light show, but around here anytime something like this happens we get hit with heavy cloud cover.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH......
I do hope all the lights go out tonight. I was supposed to be out in the woods this week to watch the fantastic Perseids meteor showers.....its looking awfully cloudy right now but I am going to "wish" the clouds away and kinda hope the lights will go out for a few hours....so I can watch the show....geomagnetic storm plus meteor showers.....
Fun. Fun. Fun>

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I know this is an amazing event...but I can only imagine that this has happened before and will happend again...I think we should all be smart and perhaps make hard copies of our financial records and keep them in file just in case you can't access your online banking information tomorrow. Preparing in the small things can help cover the big things...but this isnt going to be the end of it all.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by OuttaTime

It was "suggested"? By whom?

But just what exactly would you do with "verified" data? What is it that you think is being distorted? Or is it only the data that doesn't support your position that you disbelieve? The stuff that backs up the sensationalism is the real stuff.

For example, the Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) program which currently provides most of the data we receive about the solar wind. The spacecraft was designed and built by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. The operations and data processing of the program are all handled at Caltech.

You want the data? Here it is:
www.srl.caltech.edu...
Have at it.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Phage]

Easy there bro
. I was referring to NASA and NOAA, the government side of the program, not the private/public sector. Thi s kind of info is what I was talking about. It isn't the prime source for info but these types of articles were all over the net when Mr Gore was pushing his GW hype. It was during that timeframe that 'official' NOAA/NASA images were being circulated that were showing shrinking ice masses and elevating temperatures when they were categorized as being altered. I find some useful info here for good data.
I for one, have some problems trusting any data that is 'verified' by government sanctions as they are usually half truths or misleading data. Places like the link you provided are alot more dependable and trustworthy than the info cleared by the Pentagon as 'broadcastable news'.
I'm not looking for a position to fit my beliefs. I tend to draw my decisions on clean reliable data given a good credibility of the article. There are many institutions who provide good information, and there are the government institutions that warp the data.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I wouldn't count on much happening. Solar wind is kind of low at 409 km/s with moderate proton density.
Even the auroral power map is quiet.

Current conditions:

Planetary A-index (Ap): 4 | Planetary K-index (Kp): 2 (16 nT)
Solar Wind: 409 km/s at 4.0 protons/cm3, Bz is 2.0 nT
(Aug 03, 2010 at 1320 UT)

Auroral power map:

Analysis from Thomas Hood: from prop.hfradio.org...

Current Sunspot and Geophysical Activity Report
Observations, Prognastications, Comments by NW7US
NW7US is Tomas David Hood, Propagation and Space Weather Columnist
for CQ Communications

Details on the August 1, 2010 solar event: At approximately 0855 UTC on August 1, 2010, a C3.2 magnitude soft X-ray flare erupted from NOAA Active Sunspot Region 11092 (1092). At nearly the same time, a massive filament eruption occurred.

Prior to the filament's eruption, NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) instruments revealed an enormous plasma filament stretching across the sun's northern hemisphere. When the solar shock wave triggered by the C3.2-class X-ray explosion plowed through this filament, it appears to have caused the filament to erupt, sending out a huge plasma cloud (a coronal mass ejection, or CME).

A shock wave can be seen emerging from the origin of the X-ray flare and sweeping across the sun's northern hemisphere into the filament field. The impact of this shock wave may well have propelled the filament into space. The movies (see links, below) seem to support the conclusion that both eruptions, occurring together, are linked, despite the approximately 400,000 kilometer distance between the flare and the filament eruption. How can this be? While we cannot always see the magnetic field lines between solar features (magnetic field lines are not visible unless there is plasma trapped along these field lines), we can assume from this event that huge connecting field lines existed between the sunspot region and the filament in the sun's northern hemisphere.

This is an amazing event. A complex series of eruptions involving most of the visible surface of the sun has occurred, ejecting plasma toward the Earth. This coronal mass ejection (CME) rides the solar wind. Depending on the speed of the solar wind and the ejected plasma, this cloud will reach Earth's magnetosphere sometime between August 3 and August 5. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Radio communications by way of the ionosphere may become degraded soon after the CME arrives, and the degraded conditions may last for up to three days.

NOTE: The energy that will likely be transferred by the plasma mass that was ejected by the two eruptions (first, the slower-moving coronal mass ejection originating in the C-class X-ray flare at sunspot region 1092, and, second, the faster-moving plasma ejection originating in the filament eruption) is at most 'moderate'. This event was rather low in energy. It will not result in any news-worth events on Earth (no laptops will be fried, no power grids will fail).

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

We will find out wouldn't we ?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Geophysical Activity Forecast
Geomagnetic field activity is expected to be at unsettled to active levels on day 1 (03 August) due to the arrival of the first of two CMEs observed on 01 August (this CME was associated with the long-duration C3/Sf flare at 01/0826Z). Activity is expected to be at active to minor storm levels with a slight chance for major storm on days 2 - 3 (04 - 05 August) due to the arrival of the second slower CME observed on 01 August (associated with a large filament disappearance).

Propagation

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
corrected link to auroral power map from previous post:

hfradio.org...

sorry bout that

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Well, I know that I will be looking to see if I can see the northern lights in Minnesota...

Also, I am happy to say that I got to post this before someone blamed Bush.

i will also be looking to see if i can see the Aurora up here in Northern MN.
More importantly why would Bush do this to us, to subject us to unstable electromagnetic Solor eruptions just to continue that thing that he's doing, you know that thing, about the stuff, because as you know he and Cheaney have that solor manipulation machine that they got from that one guy, the one guy he had those pants on , so they continue thier destruction, Bush is Diabolicle, a mastermind on the 1st order, there is Bush and everyone else, wow the absolute evil. -
I had to do it, sorry

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Initiate mass-panic in 5....4....3....2....1!!!!!!!!!!! Just another "media scare-tactic" if you ask me, I mean seriously, do we even know how many solar flares probably hit Earth on a daily basis they don't tell us about? So now, that these may cause the "northern lights" effect in places that have never seen them before, lets all get people scared that something might happen...
and even if something would happen...where the hell are we going to hide or go...no where!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
We'll be safe...unless the Earth's poles suddenly decide to swap.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
has anyone considered this in a metaphysical way? if the sun is the physical representation of god, then what does that make this? a big hug from god?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
MAD MAX WORLD WHOOHOOO!

Hey at least all the kids won't develop arthritis and a hunch off of all the texting.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Has anyone tried to look at spaceweather.com...
I seem to be having trouble pulling up the page.
Maybe the site is getting allot of viewing?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It is not near the equator. The chances are almost zero. Please understand that whatever vector you chose on the surface of a spear as you go vertically to the sphere's surface, becomes further and further away from the perfect alignment of another sphere next to you.

If you worry about every pop the sun makes, you won't bother to worry when one actually might hit us dangerously.

Every solar win hits us somehow or another. Every burp, every pop, every bloody thing. So stop worrying. When the Newspapers say "OMFG SOLAR WIND WILL KILL US ALL" then you worry. Until then, this is just another burp the sun gives us every year or so.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

If you want solar data you'd be a lot better off going here:
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

I find that Spaceweather can be a bit overenthusiastic at times. But I do like contributed images they get.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Greetings Everyone

Upon careful observation of SOHO LASCO 3 from 2010/07/29 to 2010/08/03. I have found data in regards to the CME and Filament event that took place at 08:55 2010/08/01 to have been deleted many times in this time frame.

Most notably:

2010/07/29
13:42 to 20:06 6.5 hrs

2010/07/30
20:42 to 01:42 5 hrs.
03:42 to 16:18 12.5 hrs.
19:18 to 00:18 5 hrs.

2010/07/31
01:42 looks like a edit to16:18 14.5 hrs.
18:42 to 22:18 3.5 hrs.

2010/08/01
00:42 to 13:42 13 hrs.
17:18 to 23:18 6 hrs.

2010/08/02
02:42 to 19:32 17 hrs.
and finally 19:42 on 2010/08/02 to 06:30 on 2010/08/03 11 hrs.

This reminds me of 2010/07/01 to 2010/07/02 at wich time there was no data just previous to a large dual CME that erupted on 2010/07/03.

Why so much absence of data?
What don't they want us to see?
More Comets falling into the sun, Planets that don't belong there?

If anyone has a good explanation to give, It would be greatly appreciated.

In Love, Light and Wisdom. trinity369

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I just returned from 3 places trying to find an ATM machine that would work - huh

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Just got spaceweather alright but having problems with BP live feeds this morning.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzo

OR A SMALL F U

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join